Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 ( Mod Note linked in OP 29/12)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

There's actually no point discussing anything apart from injuries.

It just won't happen for any team when you're losing an average of a player every game.

If we win the league this year (or even challenge), it'll be because no-one takes the lead over Christmas when we're obviously going to struggle.

I'm sure we'll put together our good second half run of victories. Depending on the other teams, that might put us in a fight for the usual fourth place or maybe a lot more.

It's rediculous though. Of course a midfield with Flamini, Campbell and Ox wasn't good enough. They're second string players for a reason.

Arseblog pointed out today that the RW position probably went Ramsey, Wilshire, Ox, Welbeck, Walcott, Rosicky, Campbell.

At no other club in the world does he get a game but somehow we're hugely reliant on him. Good luck to him and I really hope he does well but the situation is rediculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

shano_88 wrote: »
    He's just back from injury in fairness.

Hasn't been great this year in general though, looks short of confidence.

Dont think he has being great at all to be honest. For an attacking player his stats are abysmal.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Unfortunately using stats to show that Gabriel isn't good doesn't really work, because he's a solid backup, statistically.

Iy4a0TV.png

No defensive errors? I'll take that with a pinch of salt. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

The situation is utterly ludicrous gosplan. But its every season. The players are burned out by November because our replacements are either injured or not trusted, so we have to play close to the same 11 every week. Sanchez is injured as a result of appalling management. The kind of management that throws Chamberlain and Walcott in a meaningless league cup game where they get injured.

It's beyond frustrating but it's going to happen every season while Wenger is manager. He's too stubborn to change at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

keano_afc wrote: »
    The situation is utterly ludicrous gosplan. But its every season. The players are burned out by November because our replacements are either injured or not trusted, so we have to play close to the same 11 every week. Sanchez is injured as a result of appalling management. The kind of management that throws Chamberlain and Walcott in a meaningless league cup game where they get injured.

It's beyond frustrating but it's going to happen every season while Wenger is manager. He's too stubborn to change at this stage.

He's not preparing the team properly either.
    They played today as if there was nothing at stake or as if it was a friendly.
    No desire except from Ozil and Sanchez.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ronjo

What annoys me is that we can play with real passion. Home to United we had them blown away after 20 mins.

No excuse not to play like this every game.

keano_afc wrote: »

Chelsea won the title with a tiny squad, playing the same players week in, week out.

Just to add to this, there are a lot of players today that wouldn't be burnt out. I think Santi needs a rest, and we would have been better to play Ramsey in the middle (where he wants to be), and have Campbell or the Ox down the right.

Chelsea won the title with a tiny squad, playing the same players week in, week out.

I guess that was a freak occurrence.

I wonder how much of that was down to preparation and how much luck? Or else perhaps them taking the pain killing injections that we don't give?

ronjo wrote: »
    I guess that was a freak occurrence.

I wonder how much of that was down to preparation and how much luck? Or else perhaps them taking the pain killing injections that we don't give?

Well to be honest, i don't agree with those. Many the good player was fúcked up and left high and dry after becoming over reliant on cortisone injections. Does severe long term damage. Malcolm Mcdonald is one example. Its like injecting concrete into the joints. Absolute utter madness.

Well to be honest, i don't agree with those. Many the good player was fúcked up and left high and dry after becoming over reliant on cortisone injections. Does severe long term damage. Malcolm Mcdonald is one example. Its like injecion concrete into the joints. Absolute utter madness.

Sure but I was wondering is it something they do?

• Advertisement

I think we're guilty of seeing 'good play' as 'passion'. Players on the fringes of the game are there because they're not up to speed or not playing well.

I think it's less to do with passion and desire than people think.

Wenger is clearly responsible for the injuries but I don't think it's a matter of resting people for league cup games. I'd wry much doubt whether our players play more than the other CL teams but we certainly get injured more.

Quick google show Fabregas in four years with us had 12 injuries missing 68 games. In first 2 years at Barca he had 2 injuries missing 7 games. That wouldn't have changed too much at Chelsea. So a play that picks up three injuries a season and misses 17 games a year with us picks up 1 injury and misses 3/4 games a season after us.

Like WTF?

How can you possible hope to compete at the top level with a disadvantage like that?

Just to add to this, there are a lot of players today that wouldn't be burnt out. I think Santi needs a rest, and we would have been better to play Ramsey in the middle (where he wants to be), and have Campbell or the Ox down the right.

And this is kind of my point about the players in and 'passion'. Ramsey will probably look **** there but it'd be his first game in the middle for ages with a third choice player behind him and 2 more third choice players on the wings.

Sure but I was wondering is it something they do?

I dunno but it seems the rest seem to be doing something different to ourselves.

gosplan wrote: »
    How can you possible hope to compete at the top level with a disadvantage like that?

New medical team.

New medical team.

Didn't we get 'the best'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Wenger said he finished the game on one leg.

Great, now our players limbs are falling off.

Didn't we get 'the best'?
    Absitively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Is emergingstar the new efb? Both start with lowercase e. Both make multiple posts following each other rather than multiquote. Both come in to try wind up people who aren't happy with the team performance by being over positive and mocking everyone who is upset. Both make posts that consist of little more than single sentences.

As for today. It's hard to expect any better from this team. For all the individual brilliance in the team, there is very little cohesion. Sometimes the brilliance will pull us through, and we look fantastic for it, but all too often there are days like today when we see a starting XI out there that look like they're playing together for the first time. Giroud was dreadful, but that was as much to do with the lack of service than anything else. Our final third ball was dreadful. Sanchez, while looking interested, was far too easy to defend against. When we play against a team that gives us no space in the final third then we run out of ideas, or as happened a few times today, we literally run off the field with the ball. We have to look at the opposition today and realise that this isn't Bayern we were playing. It was Norwich. 5th from bottom Norwich. And we let them get back into the game, and at times towards the end, dominate both pace and direction of play. We're not mentally strong, and haven't been for quiet some time. We need leaders out there and we don't have any. Our choices as captain is a joke. The most timid players usually get the nod in that department weirdly.

Bad result, bad injuries, tough games to come. Definitely 5 points dropped by this bunch of underachievers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Quazzie wrote: »
    Is emergingstar the new efb? Both start with lowercase e. Both make multiple posts following each other rather than multiquote. Both come in to try wind up people who aren't happy with the team performance by being over positive and mocking everyone who is upset. Both make posts that consist of little more than single sentences.

As for today. It's hard to expect any better from this team. For all the individual brilliance in the team, there is very little cohesion. Sometimes the brilliance will pull us through, and we look fantastic for it, but all too often there are days like today when we see a starting XI out there that look like they're playing together for the first time. Giroud was dreadful, but that was as much to do with the lack of service than anything else. Our final third ball was dreadful. Sanchez, while looking interested, was far too easy to defend against. When we play against a team that gives us no space in the final third then we run out of ideas, or as happened a few times today, we literally run off the field with the ball. We have to look at the opposition today and realise that this isn't Bayern we were playing. It was Norwich. 5th from bottom Norwich. And we let them get back into the game, and at times towards the end, dominate both pace and direction of play. We're not mentally strong, and haven't been for quiet some time. We need leaders out there and we don't have any. Our choices as captain is a joke. The most timid players usually get the nod in that department weirdly.

Bad result, bad injuries, tough games to come. Definitely 5 points dropped by this bunch of underachievers.

What the fcuk you on about

I don't try wind anyone up, I also had no problem with anyone have a wobbly today my points were at people saying season was over

Also the only positive thing I said about today is that we're still only 2 points of top

And finally go fcuk yourself use the ignore button if you don't like what I post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Calm down lads. We've seen all this before. No point getting angry over it.
    I agree with the last part of your post Quazzie not the first as emergingstar is usually on the level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Well.....that escalated quickly...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Calling out posters in this thread is becoming pathetic. We all have opinions and some differ greatly but that's life and some need to understand that, this is only football.

I've been called out a few times (once today) and it annoys me because and the end of the day it's just opinion sharing and you need to respect those that differ we are all chasing the same dream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Soups123 wrote: »
    Calling out posters in this thread is becoming pathetic. We all have opinions and some differ greatly but that's life and some need to understand that, this is only football.

I've been called out a few times (once today) and it annoys me because and the end of the day it's just opinion sharing and you need to respect those that differ we are all chasing the same dream

I assume you're referring to me calling you out earlier. Apologies, was just a bit annoyed after that poxy result!

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    I assume you're referring to me calling you out earlier. Apologies, was just a bit annoyed after that poxy result!

Ah I know that we're all the same I have done it myself and in fairness it's the easiest place to come to let it out.....

Saves the missus getting it all of the time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Lets not argue amongst each other lads because at the end of the day we all want the same thing and that is for Arsenal to be successful. Bad day at the office today, im pissed off as much as anybody but personal attacks does us no favours.

Won't say anymore will probably get banned

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Well... That was utterly dejecting!

On the injuries. It's terribly frustrating obviously. I do feel the club tried to address our awful record by changing things up and getting the WC winning medical team in... Looks like that failed miserably? Or maybe we have some gypsy curse?

Either way...

Alexis: If it was not a kick or knock, and he pulled his hamstring, he's out for at least 6 weeks. He was limping while walking, that's a grade 2 at least IMO. If it was a cramp (possible) then with rest, he'll be available very soon.

Santi: His knee took a knock, so I'd guess it's bruise injury, so should be back within the week.

Laurent: Looked like a hip flexor strain, or a top of quad strain. Hard to know, but I'd say a minimum of 2 weeks, depending on severity and type of injury (pure speculation!)

As for the game?
    Well Giroud got absolutely no service at all, until Ox came on. He battled manfully in fairness to him.

Bellerin and Monreal were poor today (offensive and defensive), but have both been excellent this season, so are allowed a bad day.

Mert I felt did well, as did Gabriel despite the obvious positional faux-pas for the goal.

Aaron was poor, but was his first start in 2 months. Joel was poor when he came on

Santi and Mesut were both very effective I felt, the latter was less so as the game wore on.

Alexis and Flamini I felt both played well, The former's pass for the goal was exquisite and he worked tirelessly (as usual) while the latter was disciplned... He's no Coq though....

And that for me is the crux. I think our starting 11 is exceptional, and good enough to win the league this season, it's when our inevitable injury crisis hits, our back up is often way off the pace... And today showed that. For me, Joel Campbell, Alex Ox-C, Flamster (and some more) just are not good enough when the proverbial sh1t hits the fan!

Somebody mentioned earlier, that Walcott missing started our slump in form. I agree. When we lost him to a cruciate injury a couple of years ago, we were sitting top of the table and beaten Spurs 2-0, we fell apart after that. He offers so much more, and our style of play is better suited with his pace up top. zipping passes to him at pace is lethal. Now don't get me wrong, I love Ollie Giroud (in a manful, hetro way!) and he is great against certain teams, and often a dangerous forward, AND offers great defence at corners... But he lacks pace and a type of guile that Theo brings. We need him back ASAP.

So that's my lot... Thanks for reading! :-)

Won't say anymore will probably get banned
    You stay classy

:rolleyes:

When is Walcott due back?

2 weeks, I think??

• Advertisement

emmetlego wrote: »
    2 weeks, I think??
    Hopefully we car regain our form before that. Give him a few minutes against Villa then unleash him on City.

You stay classy

:rolleyes:

Try it sometime

Hopefully we car regain our form before that. Give him a few minutes against Villa then unleash him on City.
    Actually next week!

http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php#c1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Everyone is just super pissed off by the frustration of days like this.

I certainly said a few things earlier I definitely don't believe (sorry Olivier!).

I personally am so angry because I believe this is the best crop of players we've had in years, and our best chance to win the league since the invincibles. And i love these particular players (and the manager) and I really want to see them win.

But the f***in injuries are just wrecking any consistency.

You play your way into form. We can never expect an overall fluid team with this revolving door we have going on.

Ox will start looking OK in a few weeks and he's back on the bench or injured. Too many of our players are like that.

It's not the players' fair though. I guarantee we could have bought Frank Lampard in te middle of his record breaking no of consecutive games for an outfield player and within a month or two he'd be on there treatment table.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Everyone is just super pissed off by the frustration of days like this.

I certainly said a few things earlier I definitely don't believe (sorry Olivier!).

I personally am so angry because I believe this is the best crop of players we've had in years, and our best chance to win the league since the invincibles. And i love these particular players (and the manager) and I really want to see them win.

But the f***in injuries are just wrecking any consistency.

Can I get an "AMEN"

Well said fellow sufferer. I had a spat a few weeks ago with a great poster here, I felt all indignant and righteous, but at the end of the day, we're all Gunners, and want us to get better and better!

COYG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Jaysus, Imagine If I was here earlier :pac:

Jaysus, Imagine If I was here earlier :pac:

You'd have been in your 3rd red :)

AS in Spain reporting that we could get a transfer ban

As if we would even notice

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

What are they basing this on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Flamini Santi

Ramsey ozil ox

Giroud

Could be a lot worst I suppose.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Flamini Santi

Ramsey ozil ox

Giroud

Could be a lot worst I suppose.

Yeah, should be enough to beat your West Broms and your Norwiches.

Ah, f*ck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Yeah, should be enough to beat your West Broms and your Norwiches.

Ah, f*ck.

Today was just a disaster with the injuries upsetting the team.

Hopefully we get a settled side for a few games in a row.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    What are they basing this on?

Our signing of youth players

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Yeah have also heard that Real Madrid may be getting a transfer ban as well, for the same reason.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Today was just a disaster with the injuries upsetting the team.

Hopefully we get a settled side for a few games in a row.

What injuries upset the team today?

What injuries upset the team today?

Em...our best centre half going off after ten minutes?

Em...our best centre half going off after ten minutes?

But sure Gabriel is class! :pac:

But sure Gabriel is class! :pac:

I think he will be class, but he was at fault for their goal today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Yeah have also heard that Real Madrid may be getting a transfer ban as well, for the same reason.

if it's the same as Barcelona, it's a registration ban. So you could 'appeal', get a transfer window to sort it out and get busy signing players. You can still sign them, but not play them with the ban in place..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement