Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 ( Mod Note linked in OP 29/12)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

dfx- wrote: »
    if it's the same as Barcelona, it's a registration ban. So you could 'appeal', get a transfer window to sort it out and get busy signing players. You can still sign them, but not play them with the ban in place..

Arsenal 'get busy signing players'???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

dfx- wrote: »
    if it's the same as Barcelona, it's a registration ban. So you could 'appeal', get a transfer window to sort it out and get busy signing players. You can still sign them, but not play them with the ban in place..

lol, a blessing in disguise!

In other injury related news

https://twitter.com/ArsenalIndex/status/671035058564825089

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We can blame injuries all we like but there's more to it than that. We still had 11 players who the boss thought good enough to represent this great club. They should have been good enough in my opinion to beat a very poor team like Norwich who are 5th from bottom and struggling. I can't see them finishing any higher.

There is an old saying in football "the team that shows the greatest desire usually wins" and i stress usually. Only two of our players imo showed the degree of desire yesterday to win a league title. That's the nub of our problem right there "desire" and it has been for some time.

I blame a lot of the problem on Wenger. He selects, trains and is supposed to motivate them. Our team have lacked motivation in many games recently and in seasons past. The same players have shown the desire necessary in these games and the same players have not. Our squad is not big enough and players are complacent especially when they know that because of injuries there is nobody else to push them. Another fault of management. Our defence has looked a shambles in a lot of games this season, leaking silly goals and making many simple defensive mistakes. They must be doing nothing on the training ground.
    Giroud can get some great goals but on many occasions he has thrown the toys out of the pram when things are not going his way. He prefers to moan at referees and players instead of knuckling down. Standing with your hands on your head looking up at the sky will not get you into positions to score. That will just give the opposition defenders great joy that they are nullifying his effect on the game and make enemies of referees as if we haven't enough problems with them already. Someone needs to have a serious word with him.

Some of our midfield and wingers are only back and were probably rushed to a degree so i'm reluctant to blame them too much. Campbell for all his running and desire is inconsistent, Ox the same. I think we should be buying the finished article in future as we rarely have time to let players develop and very few are breaking into the team or have been disappointing when they have got game-time. We have a lot of problems at Arsenal. Our first choice 11 are ok but we struggle afterwards and with our record of injuries it always comes back to haunt us.
    I thought we had a great chance of EPL glory this season but my opinion is changing rapidly. Two points from the last nine is pretty poor when you consider who we played against.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ronjo

This game annoyed me a lot more than the West Brom one actually even though we didnt lose.

Last week it just seemed that everything went against us and we were very unluckly not to come away with 1 or 3 points.
    Yesterday it just felt we werent good enough and I really thought there was a good chance of Norwich getting the winner in the last few mins. That certainly isnt good enough and it is depressing as this really is our best chance in a long time.

Of course we are only 2 points behind and a couple of good wins will change my perspective but yesterday was a really frustrating game to watch.

I don't think so ronjo.
    We played very poorly against Spurs and were lucky to get a point.
    We played poorly against WBA after scoring first and showed little or no desire to get a second.
    Same yesterday. We let one of the worst teams I have ever seen in the EPL back into a game when we were ahead and all over them. We then lay down when they scored a goal helped by some of the worst Arsenal defending i have ever witnessed.

Something seriously wrong at out club and the Minister for Excuses out today doing his usual stuff, deflecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Its a bit of an anomaly though. We can get up for certain games, but in the main there is an inconceivable lack of desire in games like yesterday. We had no shots on target in the second half. With the players we had on a pitch, against a piss poor team, thats pretty shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

The EPL has dropped down so much in recent years.

Leicester joint top and City United and Arsenal all very average teams.

The invincibles would have blitzed this league.

Doesn't make it any less frustrating though seeing us drop so many silly points when we could have had a nice cushion on top now if we didn't continously self destruct in the usual Arsenal way, City the last few years are prone to it to.

Injuries don't help but it was Norwich yesterday not a top class team. So many players need a good kick up the arse. Seems Giroud has gone back to resting on his laurels now Walcott is injured no one there to push him on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

giroud done **** all yesterday but there was very little he could do

IvoryTower wrote: »
    giroud done **** all yesterday but there was very little he could do

He could have shown his desire by getting into better positions for crosses. He didn't. I had to look for him anytime we threatened. No runs or shows worth a damn and i'm one of the posters who stood up for him before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

what a crap game,

arsenal are not winning no titles.

Yet again our players falling and geting injured so easily. at this rate we wont have a starting 11 this xmas period

Really is shocking and i am fed up with arsenal, wenger and football.

He could have shown his desire by getting into better positions for crosses. He didn't. I had to look for him anytime we threatened. No runs or shows worth a damn and i'm one of the posters who stood up for him before.

As someone pointed out yesterday its been since Theo is out we have been poor.

It was working really well for a few weeks when he was leading the line and Giroud was playing excellently off the bench.

Hopefully we can get Theo back soon as need to return to form pretty quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

We can blame injuries all we like but there's more to it than that. We still had 11 players who the boss thought good enough to represent this great club. They should have been good enough in my opinion to beat a very poor team like Norwich who are 5th from bottom and struggling. I can't see them finishing any higher.

There is an old saying in football "the team that shows the greatest desire usually wins" and i stress usually. Only two of our players imo showed the degree of desire yesterday to win a league title. That's the nub of our problem right there "desire" and it has been for some time.

I blame a lot of the problem on Wenger. He selects, trains and is supposed to motivate them. Our team have lacked motivation in many games recently and in seasons past. The same players have shown the desire necessary in these games and the same players have not. Our squad is not big enough and players are complacent especially when they know that because of injuries there is nobody else to push them. Another fault of management. Our defence has looked a shambles in a lot of games this season, leaking silly goals and making many simple defensive mistakes. They must be doing nothing on the training ground.
    Giroud can get some great goals but on many occasions he has thrown the toys out of the pram when things are not going his way. He prefers to moan at referees and players instead of knuckling down. Standing with your hands on your head looking up at the sky will not get you into positions to score. That will just give the opposition defenders great joy that they are nullifying his effect on the game and make enemies of referees as if we haven't enough problems with them already. Someone needs to have a serious word with him.

Some of our midfield and wingers are only back and were probably rushed to a degree so i'm reluctant to blame them too much. Campbell for all his running and desire is inconsistent, Ox the same. I think we should be buying the finished article in future as we rarely have time to let players develop and very few are breaking into the team or have been disappointing when they have got game-time. We have a lot of problems at Arsenal. Our first choice 11 are ok but we struggle afterwards and with our record of injuries it always comes back to haunt us.
    I thought we had a great chance of EPL glory this season but my opinion is changing rapidly. Two points from the last nine is pretty poor when you consider who we played against.

I agree except at the start you say we had 11 players who should have beaten them. But at the end you concede outside of the first 11 we don't have good enough players.

Soups123 wrote: »
    Calling out posters in this thread is becoming pathetic. We all have opinions and some differ greatly but that's life and some need to understand that, this is only football.

I've been called out a few times (once today) and it annoys me because and the end of the day it's just opinion sharing and you need to respect those that differ we are all chasing the same dream

Arsenal are one of the rare teams that really alienate our fans.

very fustrating and close to giving up not caring about this crap club.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    I agree except at the start you say we had 11 players who should have beaten them. But at the end you concede outside of the first 11 we don't have good enough players.

I assume he means that they are good enough to beat Norwich but not good enough to win the league.

Ah now Jonney this certainly isnt unique to Arsenal.
    A few good results and all will be right in the world again ;)

• Advertisement

20 of our players are all good enough to ****ing beat west brom and norwich!

That we're only 2 points off top despite winning 1 game in 5 is testament to how bang average the league is this year.

I'm trying not to imagine what position we'd be in if we'd just shown a bit of ambition in the summer and recruited the players we needed.

ronjo wrote: »
    Ah now Jonney this certainly isnt unique to Arsenal.
    A few good results and all will be right in the world again ;)

yes and then we lose again to wheover is bottom of the table..

thats whats fustrating. Either arsenal be a crap team where its expected we play crap, or we play brilliantly.

But nooooo arsenal have to toss and turn between the two!

Its like trying get laid,

u either dont get laid or u do and finish the job, right now arsenal in the process of getting laid but never ever finish the job and left fustrating..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

You should probably give up, you seem to be in it only for the winning. And this club has never won as consistently as it has in the last 20 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Yesterday was the worst performance by Giroud I think I've seen since this season bar his embarrassing showing at Zagreb. He had no hunger whatsoever by the looks of things.

It's a shame because on his day he can be brilliant and has scored and set up some big big goals for us.

• Advertisement

You should probably give up, you seem to be in it only for the winning. And this club has never won as consistently as it has in the last 20 years.

hell no

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Yesterday was the worst performance by Giroud I think I've seen since this season bar his embarrassing showing at Zagreb. He had no hunger whatsoever by the looks of things.

It's a shame because on his day he can be brilliant and has scored and set up some big big goals for us.

He looks best it seems when

a) he is under pressure for his place.
    b) not playing so regularly so maybe more energetic

a and b do go together and maybe its one or the other but the sooner Theo is back the better

You also have to look at the positive. We are playing poorly and we are on a bad run with only 1 win in 5..... yet we are only 2 points off the top. We would have given anything over the last few seasons to be in that position.

We have 3 very winnable games coming up before we play City. If we can get it together quick we could be in a good position going into the new year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

jester77 wrote: »
    You also have to look at the positive. We are playing poorly and we are on a bad run with only 1 win in 5..... yet we are only 2 points off the top. We would have given anything over the last few seasons to be in that position.

We have 3 very winnable games coming up before we play City. If we can get it together quick we could be in a good position going into the new year.

...What would give you that impression?

One could argue that the last 2 games were very winnable too. Doesnt seem to count for a lot with this side if their head isnt in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Just re-watched the extended highlights (can be found here) there and focused on Giroud.

First attack, Sanchez shot. Giroud ahead of him.

Second attack (starts at 1.50), Ozil receives ball. Giroud free through the centre, Ozil goes wide to Sanchez, to Monreal crosses to Ozil shot, Giroud on back post.

Third attack, corner goes over everybody's head to backpost.

Fourth attack, cross from Monreal, Giroud can't convert. Good chance missed.

Fifth attack (3.12). Giroud goes through centre, defenders come with him. Ball passed to Sanchez who now has a small bit of time, shoots but saved.

Sixth attack. Ball comes to Ramsey in box. Giroud near him and marked so passed back to Cazorla. Shoots, wide

Seventh attack. Ball comes back to keeper, Giroud closes down. Keeper mis kicks, picked up By Sanchez, puts Ozil through for goal, Giroud on back post.

Eighth attack. Ball comes to Ramsey on edge of box. Giroud runs through, Ramsey shoots, deflected wide.

Ninth attack (second half, starts at 8.10): Ball comes to Sanchez in box. Tries to lob it towards Giroud but takes deflection, Giroud misses, Ozil can't get on the end of it either.

Tenth attack: Ball crossed to Bellerin, plays back to Ozil, who plays back to Bellerin. Shoots, wide. Ramsey (near post), Campbell (centre) and Grioud (backpost) in box.

Eleventh attack. Ox cross to Giroud slightly behind him, can't covert. Possibly could have done better.

Twelefth attack. Bellerin cross. Giroud marked by two, can't get to it, end of match.

Only other opportunity I saw is also on Arsenalist and can be seen here. Now maybe Giroud could have come near post, but Ox only had him to aim for in the box and if he looked up he would have seen that. Even if he had been near post though, that is a fairly **** pass and I'm not sure he could have done a whole lot with it, even if he had beaten the other three players there.

I know they are only selected highlights, but Giroud was either in the box or made a run for each of those but the ball only got to him twice, one he probably should have converted, the other is debatable.

Regardless of Giroud's individual performance, looking at Statzone it appears we only had 13 chances created for the whole match yesterday. Between that and the fact that there were only 13/14 highlights from Arsenal for the match yesterday shows how poor we were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

farna_boy wrote: »
    Just re-watched the extended highlights (can be found here) there and focused on Giroud.

First attack, Sanchez shot. Giroud ahead of him.

Second attack (starts at 1.50), Ozil receives ball. Giroud free through the centre, Ozil goes wide to Sanchez, to Monreal crosses to Ozil shot, Giroud on back post.

Third attack, corner goes over everybody's head to backpost.

Fourth attack, cross from Monreal, Giroud can't convert. Good chance missed.

Fifth attack (3.12). Giroud goes through centre, defenders come with him. Ball passed to Sanchez who now has a small bit of time, shoots but saved.

Sixth attack. Ball comes to Ramsey in box. Giroud near him and marked so passed back to Cazorla. Shoots, wide

Seventh attack. Ball comes back to keeper, Giroud closes down. Keeper mis kicks, picked up By Sanchez, puts Ozil through for goal, Giroud on back post.

Eighth attack. Ball comes to Ramsey on edge of box. Giroud runs through, Ramsey shoots, deflected wide.

Ninth attack (second half, starts at 8.10): Ball comes to Sanchez in box. Tries to lob it towards Giroud but takes deflection, Giroud misses, Ozil can't get on the end of it either.

Tenth attack: Ball crossed to Bellerin, plays back to Ozil, who plays back to Bellerin. Shoots, wide. Ramsey (near post), Campbell (centre) and Grioud (backpost) in box.

Eleventh attack. Ox cross to Giroud slightly behind him, can't covert. Possibly could have done better.

Twelefth attack. Bellerin cross. Giroud marked by two, can't get to it, end of match.

Only other opportunity I saw is also on Arsenalist and can be seen here. Now maybe Giroud could have come near post, but Ox only had him to aim for in the box and if he looked up he would have seen that. Even if he had been near post though, that is a fairly **** pass and I'm not sure he could have done a whole lot with it, even if he had beaten the other three players there.

I know they are only selected highlights, but Giroud was either in the box or made a run for each of those but the ball only got to him twice, one he probably should have converted, the other is debatable.

Regardless of Giroud's individual performance, looking at Statzone it appears we only had 13 chances created for the whole match yesterday. Between that and the fact that there were only 13/14 highlights from Arsenal for the match yesterday shows how poor we were.

Well put together but I think Monreal must have delivered at least half a dozen dreadful crosses into the box yesterday, with Giroud waiting for a decent one that he could get onto. Didn't happen once. I really don't think Giroud was to blame for the dreadful showing yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Interesting article about Jimmy Dunne whose record Vardy is now chasing. He played for us for 3 seasons in the 1930s after being bought by Herbert Chapman.

http://www.balls.ie/football/the-ira-background-of-the-man-whose-record-jamie-vardy-is-chasing/317765

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

We could be well stuck for next weekend. Expect Sunderland to be well up for it after getting a win and Allerdici will have them set up to frustrate. On paper we are still way better than them but we are off the pace at the moment. What looked like a nice run of fixtures is turning into a mini crisis.

We will probably have to beat City to have a chance at the league, lose to them and our chances will be slim.

Cech
    Bellerin Gabriel Mert Monreal
    Flamini
    Campbell Ramsey Ozil Ox
    Giroud

Would be good if Wally could get 15 mins, rather than throwing him on against City with no gametime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

greendom wrote: »
    Well put together but I think Monreal must have delivered at least half a dozen dreadful crosses into the box yesterday, with Giroud waiting for a decent one that he could get onto. Didn't happen once. I really don't think Giroud was to blame for the dreadful showing yesterday.

I'm a big fan of Giroud but I thought he was really poor yesterday. Just had one of those days where he seemed to spend more time complaining to the ref than actually playing football. Yes, the service wasn't great but he didn't do any of his team mates any favours either. Just wasn't getting involved in the play at all. He's more than just a big centre forward who can get his head to the ball, he's also well capable of linking up the play. Didn't do enough for me yesterday.

• Advertisement

...What would give you that impression?

We are playing against 2 teams that are seriously struggling and the prospect of playing cold Thursday evenings in eastern Europe should be enough motivation for the other game. All 3 are winnable, never said we would win them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

We are playing against 2 teams that are seriously struggling and the prospect of playing cold Thursday evenings in eastern Europe should be enough motivation for the other game. All 3 are winnable, never said we would win them.
    Every match Is winnable. Keano said what I said In a much more straight forward way
    keano_afc wrote: »
    One could argue that the last 2 games were very winnable too. Doesnt seem to count for a lot with this side if their head isnt in the game.

So Cazorla and Sanchez out for 3 weeks and Walcott struggling to be back for Christmas.

Truly wonderful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

So Cazorla and Sanchez out for 3 weeks and Walcott struggling to be back for Christmas.

Truly wonderful.

Our new fitness guru is truly working wonders.

Fcuking shambles.

The 11 we had on the field should have been good enough to beat Norwich though. They are poor.

Truly wonderful.
    Anything about Koscielny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Truly wonderful.

where's this coming from ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Just need to hang in there and stay close to the top while we're in this crisis

Hard too see it happening though

A team with real title winning ambitions would have won both them games 1-0 once we went ahead, regardless of injuries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Dunno, physio room says Kos is back next week along with Theo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

John Cross of Mirror is reporting this...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-dealt-double-injury-blow-6927530

from a bloke called ronjo :D:D:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

According to Wenger Santi and Kos should be back for Sunderland. Sanchez out for 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Move Ramsey left and play either Campbell or ox right

The Jeff must be close to a game now

Move Ramsey left and play either Campbell or ox right

The Jeff must be close to a game now

So is the tea lady.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

2 points worse off on comparable fixtures compared with last year.
    More injuries than last year but we didn't /couldn't find anyone to sign outfield to improve the team.
    Highlights pre-game Sanchez is at a danger of getting injured. Yet still plays him.

Yet we are only off the top.

I probably tempted fate yesterday.

He's carrying a slight hamstring injury so it's a risk playing him at all.
    He will have to be rested at some stage soon as it could become a long term injury if not treated properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

^^^^

This is the ridiculous thing.

If we get through December and then repeat our standard second half of year we'll win the thing.

I fear the 2 point gap will be 12 by Jan though.

Who plays midweek?

Flamster
    Rambo
    Ox - Ozil - Campbell
    Giroud

from a bloke called ronjo :D:D:pac:

Haha. As mentioned above from John Cross

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

City game is crucial.

Lose that and we will not win the league. And at the moment on our current run, I can't see us beating Sunderland this weekend.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement