Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 ( Mod Note linked in OP 29/12)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I hear Kim Kallstrom is available.

I bet since you typed that, he broke something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I bet since you typed that, he broke something.

Yeah the brakes on his wheelchair.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

I hear Kim Kallstrom is available.

When he came back from that back injury, he was like a new signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

So the brisk November weather has battered half our players again. Ballix.

Santi is a major blow. A truly great player who has kept us ticking at the back like a mini pirlo this last year. We really don't have anyone with the skill and passing grace to fill in his boots, Ramsey would want to be training night and day with ozil to fill his shoes now.

So as has been said, this has to be us in te transfer market now - and honestly I hope Wenger had started making his calls before this went public, as any player we wanted jus jumped up in price after this announcement.

But unfortunately, IF we don't manage to get through the champions league, it's going to make players far harder to convince.

So who's even available? Anyone know I any player fallouts around Europe? Will the Valencia team want to play under Gary Neville?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Yeah the brakes on his wheelchair.

He has his own wheelchair?

There's a saving there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Ajfunky wrote: »
    So the brisk November weather has battered half our players again. Ballix.

Santi is a major blow. A truly great player who has kept us ticking at the back like a mini pirlo this last year. We really don't have anyone with the skill and passing grace to fill in his boots, Ramsey would want to be training night and day with ozil to fill his shoes now.

So as has been said, this has to be us in te transfer market now - and honestly I hope Wenger had started making his calls before this went public, as any player we wanted jus jumped up in price after this announcement.

But unfortunately, IF we don't manage to get through the champions league, it's going to make players far harder to convince.

So who's even available? Anyone know I any player fallouts around Europe? Will the Valencia team want to play under Gary Neville?!

I think Wenger needs to realise that the value of soccer players has inflated immensely over the past years, and that there is no such thing as good value anymore, unless you spend a year trying to find one. Santi's injury is by far the biggest blow imo. December could be even worse than November.

I'm a fan of Wenger but his management recently has been woeful. I'm sure we can buy the majority of midfielders out there if we splash the cash. I also think that Wenger should recall Gnabry from West Brom as he's not getting any game time. He has a better chance starting for us than them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Hard to believe in the space of 2 weeks our central midfield pairing are out for months, you couldn't make it up. From a selfish pov I'll miss watching Santi play, he's been so good for us.

It's up to Wenger now to sort it and get a new dynamic in the middle of the park. Its a pity Wilshere isn't fit to come into the team. A signing or 2 in Jan now are a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

Klopp turning pool around and he hasn't even signed a player yet. Another team we'll have to contend with no doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

omega man wrote: »
    Klopp turning pool around and he hasn't even signed a player yet. Another team we'll have to contend with no doubt
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again. He should've been Wenger's replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Big time. Raging we didnt get him. Still, a couple of years at Liverpool and he'll want to move to a big club.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

On a more positive note, it's December and we are only 2pts off top. We are more than capable of getting a run going in a league that has no team that wants to take it by the horns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Santi's injury is of course really unfortunate but at least it provides Ramsey with an opportunity to prove his worth in the centre. Pray to God he doesn't pick up an injury.

greendom wrote: »
    Santi's injury is of course really unfortunate but at least it provides Ramsey with an opportunity to prove his worth in the centre. Pray to God he doesn't pick up an injury.

Assuming that he'll play a winger on the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Soups123 wrote: »
    On a more positive note, it's December and we are only 2pts off top. We are more than capable of getting a run going in a league that has no team that wants to take it by the horns

Problem is we won't get a run going if our players keep dropping like flies. Can't believe we now have two of our best players from the last year simultaneously out :mad:

When is Wilshere back? At this stage it feels silly asking that question much like it was to ask the same question about Diaby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

When is Wilshere back? At this stage it feels silly asking that question much like it was to ask the same question about Diaby.
    13th of this month according to physio room. Oddly, they still have no date down for Santi. I'd imagine the journos are speculating on his injury!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Soups123 wrote: »

With Flamini and Ramsey in the centre?

Not likely lets be honest.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    With Flamini and Ramsey in the centre?

Not likely lets be honest.

If Wilshere comes back and stays fit it could be Ramsey and Wilshere which would give me a bit more of a positive outlook.

But the boots of Coq and Cazorla are hard to fill no matter how we look at it it's hard to see us pushing on to win the league now. Disheartening for it to be injuries holding us back time and time again. Baffling that they can't figure out the cause and solution for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭wawaman

If Wilshere comes back and stays fit it could be Ramsey and Wilshere which would give me a bit more of a positive outlook.

But the boots of Coq and Cazorla are hard to fill no matter how we look at it it's hard to see us pushing on to win the league now. Disheartening for it to be injuries holding us back time and time again. Baffling that they can't figure out the cause and solution for it.

TBH injuries like the ones Coq, Santi & jack picked up cant be planned for, they were all impact injuries. Its the ones Ramsey, Ox & Theo pick up regularly that are the problem

wawaman wrote: »
    TBH injuries like the ones Coq, Santi & jack picked up cant be planned for, they were all impact injuries. Its the ones Ramsey, Ox & Theo pick up regularly that are the problem

Coq and Santi granted but Jack? He spends more time on the injury table than he does on the pitch.

Ramsey, Ox,Theo and now Welbeck who has had more time injured at Arsenal than he ever did at United.

There's 100% a problem there and I don't buy into its our style of football that causes it either. Whether it be nutrition,training, match prep somewhere along the line there doing something wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Coq and Santi granted but Jack? He spends more time on the injury table than he does on the pitch.

Ramsey, Ox,Theo and now Welbeck who has had more time injured at Arsenal than he ever did at United.

There's 100% a problem there and I don't buy into its our style of football that causes it either. Whether it be nutrition,training, match prep somewhere along the line there doing something wrong.

It's a weird one though

There pumping millions into it and still not coming with a solution

The other side of the coin is were depending on these injured players every season

• Advertisement

It's a weird one though

There pumping millions into it and still not coming with a solution

The other side of the coin is were depending on these injured players every season

It is weird I think the club much like the fans hoped the changes that have been made would be paying off by now but sadly that's not the case. It's baffling really as to why they can't seem to find the cause.

We are depending on these players but is buying more players the solution? I'm not so sure much like Welbeck would you just be buying more players to join our already over loaded medical room.

Need to cut it off at the root of the problem imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

It is weird I think the club much like the fans hoped the changes that have been made would be paying off by now but sadly that's not the case. It's baffling really as to why they can't seem to find the cause.

We are depending on these players but is buying more players the solution? I'm not so sure much like Welbeck would you just be buying more players to join our already over loaded medical room.

Need to cut it off at the root of the problem imo.

I agree with this.

No point in arguing about buying world class players when they can't be counted on.

I'd have our starting midfield and attack as

Coq
    Santi
    Rambo - Ozil - Sanchez
    Walcott

1 fit player out of six and 1 just coming back.

Add to that Wilshire out, Welbeck out, Rosicky out, Kos out, Bellerin just coming back and out of form, Ox just coming back.

if we had signed Schneiderlin, he'd be like all the rest.

The only players we have that seem to be immmune to this are Mert, Giroud (apart from the broken leg), Cech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Let's not sign any good players because they'll just get injured...solid logic lads.

Let's not sign any good players because they'll just get injured...solid logic lads.

Hmmmmm that's not what I said.

I said we need to find the problems that are causing us to have our terrible injury record first otherwise we'll just end up in a perpetual circle without ever finding the solution..

We can't view more players as the solution to a constant problem.

Ok I'll put it this way so we go out sign ten players for 100 million and sign up to massive outlays on long term contracts.

Fast forward 3 months and all ten players are out injured joining our already extensive injury list were does that leave us? Back at square one with the same old long term problem that we tried and failed to gloss over with a short term very costly fix.

I'm not saying don't sign players I'm saying our number one priority should be finding out why and the solution to that issue first and foremost over anything else otherwise we'll always have the same problem.

We currently have a squad capable of winning the league we just can't keep them fit.

You're deliberately missing the point

gosplan wrote: »
    I agree with this.

No point in arguing about buying world class players when they can't be counted on.

I'd have our starting midfield and attack as

Coq
    Santi
    Rambo - Ozil - Sanchez
    Walcott

1 fit player out of six and 1 just coming back.

Add to that Wilshire out, Welbeck out, Rosicky out, Kos out, Bellerin just coming back and out of form, Ox just coming back.

if we had signed Schneiderlin, he'd be like all the rest.

The only players we have that seem to be immmune to this are Mert, Giroud (apart from the broken leg), Cech.
    gosplan wrote: »
    You're deliberately missing the point

Am I? Not every player we sign Is going to get injured, If you are suggesting that we don't sign any world class players because they'll just be injured, I'm merely pointing out that that's ridiculous.

Am I? Not every player we sign Is going to get injured, If you are suggesting that we don't sign any world class players because they'll just be injured, I'm merely pointing out that that's ridiculous.

So you've changed from paraphrasing 'let's not sign any good players....'

to

'if that's what you're suggesting'

When fit, our squad and bench is comparable to any in the premier league, but that's never actually the case because we have so many injuries to content with.

The solution to this problem is not to keep signing players. We actually have two good players for every position and loads of nice combinations or options that can compensate when we're short.

Of course, let's sign pogba or someone, that's a great idea. But it won't fix the biggest problem at the club.

What is the solution though folks?

Arsene brought in arguably THE most sought after medical team in world soccer by all accounts, and it's as bad, if not worse than ever.

Or are we really just unlucky?? They are the ones who prescribe diet, stretches etc etc, so it must be a gypsy curse at this stage... Like the Mayo gaelic football team!

March return for Santi : http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php#c1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

The only constant in all of this is Wenger. He buys diminutive players that break easily. He rushes back the ones that aren't ready. His training methods have been questioned. He overplays players because he wont buy or doesn't trust the alternative.

• Advertisement

keano_afc wrote: »
    The only constant in all of this is Wenger. He buys diminutive players that break easily. He rushes back the ones that aren't ready. His training methods have been questioned. He overplays players because he wont buy or doesn't trust the alternative.

Stop talking sense. What we need to do Is buy less players and get more medical staff.

diminutive players that break easily His last 4 purchases that are regular starters are Ozil, Sanchez, Cech and Gabriel. These do not break easy.

He rushes back the ones that aren't ready Can you prove that? Or are you just saying it because it fits the narrative? It's been commented by many (Henry included) that the players are totally under Forsyth's control medically, and that they are slower to come back than they were.

His training methods have been questioned. By who? He has coaching staff and medical staff that design the training. Again, when the injuries were rearing their damn ugly head again, this was discussed on Arseblog and TV, and ll stated that the training methods were not the issue.

He overplays players because he wont buy or doesn't trust the alternative This I agree with, he has a "type" of player (I suppose all managers do??) and he very rarely looks outside the box for the alternative. I think we can all agree that there was a dearth of real talent this summer transfer window.

Please, don't take this personal, it's just an observation on your post, that I happen to disagree with, as you made it sound like a statement of fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

emmetlego wrote: »
    What is the solution though folks?

I can't imagine anyone here would have the solution. If they did they wouldn't be here :) they'd be playing hardball with Arsenal!

Looking forward to the game on Saturday anyway, nice day of football it is too!

Was just gonna point that out. I don't think "diminutive" players are the issue, look at Welbeck. There's only one constant as you said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Flamini/Arteta combination in the center is the stuff of nightmares

Flamini/Arteta combination in the center is the stuff of nightmares

One to get sent off. Arteta's so slow that every attempt to win the ball is a potential yellow card.

Stop talking sense. What we need to do Is buy less players and get more medical staff.

Either you're a bit thick or trying to troll either way it's not working for you.

Either you're a bit thick or trying to troll either way it's not working for you.

Or you're insecure and can't have a laugh?

Or you're insecure and can't have a laugh?

Insecure :pac: yea because that makes sense I need boards to validate my existence :pac: strange.

Anyways Sunderland will be no pushovers and as previous games have shown nothing can be taken for granted but hoping we can get a couple wins under our belt before the City game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Big time. Raging we didnt get him. Still, a couple of years at Liverpool and he'll want to move to a big club.

cfb10feec1a57068d93a8018d6eb9035.jpg

Insecure :pac: yea because that makes sense I need boards to validate my existence :pac: strange.

Anyways Sunderland will be no pushovers and as previous games have shown nothing can be taken for granted but hoping we can get a couple wins under our belt before the City game

You have your knickers In a twist because I made a comment about something you said so yeah insecure.

There's no reason we shouldn't hammer them.

You have your knickers In a twist because I made a comment about something you said so yeah insecure.

You might want to do yourself a favour and look up the definition of insecure taking exception to someone acting an idiot doesnt signify insecurity.

But you go ahead anyway and keep using words in the wrong context.

Now if you don't mind I'd like to talk about football as this is the Arsenal thread.

There's no reason we shouldn't hammer them.

True on paper regardless of ibjuries but given our current form I have no faith in thus team to go out and get it done.

Plus Allardyce teams play the kind of football we often struggle to breakdown.

I'm hoping I'm proved wrong and we destroy them though :)

You might want to do yourself a favour and look up the definition of insecure taking exception to someone acting an idiot doesnt signify insecurity.

But you go ahead anyway and keep using words in the wrong context.

Now if you don't mind I'd like to talk about football as this is the Arsenal thread.

You should probably come down off your high horse first tho mate. If my comment was about anything else then you wouldn't have said anything you know It's because It took away from what you said earlier hence the insecure comment.

You were the on who brought It off topic by calling me an idiot and a troll, you know where the ignore button Is buddy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Ah jaysus..relax folks...No need to act like solicitors arguing over technical terms...We are football fans and Gunners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Yeah no need for the sniping and bitchy comments lads.

Personally I'm not one bit confident about beating Sunderland as our last 3 league performances we never looked like winning. Hasn't inspired much confidence in me at all. Theo can't come back quick enough!!

You should probably come down off your high horse first tho mate. If my comment was about anything else then you wouldn't have said anything you know It's because It took away from what you said earlier hence the insecure comment.

You were the on who brought It off topic by calling me an idiot and a troll, you know where the ignore button Is buddy.

Yep you're still not quite grasping it yet, it's ok some day you'll use it in the right context.

Your right I do thanks for reminding me about the ignore button :). I'll do that now.

Apologies to everyone else for this silly derailing of the thread :o

Back to Arsenal chat in the Arsenal thread :)

Yep you're still not quite grasping it yet, it's ok some day you'll use it in the right context.

Your right I do thanks for reminding me about the ignore button :). I'll do that now.

Apologies to everyone else for this silly derailing of the thread :o

Back to Arsenal chat in the Arsenal thread :)

Sorry I'm done now, couldn't ignore that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Arsène Wenger has revealed the latest team news ahead of Saturday's Premier League game against Sunderland:
    on the team news...

We will make a decision on Saturday on Koscielny and Walcott, they could both make the squad. Gibbs is available again for the weekend.
    on Alexis, Cazorla and Arteta...

At the moment on Alexis, Santi and Mikel, we don't know how long they will be out for.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20151203/team-news-koscielny-walcott-and-gibbs#yuKuBStIFlUoLYKo.99

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement