Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 ( Mod Note linked in OP 29/12)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ronjo

Arsène Wenger has revealed the latest team news ahead of Saturday's Premier League game against Sunderland:
    on the team news...

We will make a decision on Saturday on Koscielny and Walcott, they could both make the squad. Gibbs is available again for the weekend.
    on Alexis, Cazorla and Arteta...

At the moment on Alexis, Santi and Mikel, we don't know how long they will be out for.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20151203/team-news-koscielny-walcott-and-gibbs#yuKuBStIFlUoLYKo.99

Great to have Theo almost back. Hopefully he can start on the right in Greece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

ronjo wrote: »
    Great to have Theo almost back. Hopefully he can start on the right in Greece.

Given current form I'd rather start Walcott up top with Campbell on right. Or at least start that way with Giroud an option from the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

gosplan wrote: »
    I agree with this.

No point in arguing about buying world class players when they can't be counted on.

I'd have our starting midfield and attack as

Coq
    Santi
    Rambo - Ozil - Sanchez
    Walcott

1 fit player out of six and 1 just coming back.

Add to that Wilshire out, Welbeck out, Rosicky out, Kos out, Bellerin just coming back and out of form, Ox just coming back.

if we had signed Schneiderlin, he'd be like all the rest.

The only players we have that seem to be immmune to this are Mert, Giroud (apart from the broken leg), Cech.

LOL the reaosn why Girud doesnt get injured he because he does F all during a match

Given current form I'd rather start Walcott up top with Campbell on right. Or at least start that way with Giroud an option from the bench.

Personally I wouldnt have Campbell anywhere near the first team if possible although if we had a few players back I wouldnt object to Giroud returning to the bench for a spell.

ronjo wrote: »
    Personally I wouldnt have Campbell anywhere near the first team if possible although if we had a few players back I wouldnt object to Giroud returning to the bench for a spell.

I think I'm one of the few who has been happy with Campbell.

Everyone fit would he mate my starting eleven no.

But Girouds form has dropped so I think Walcott has to play up top and given our options on the right even with Chamberlain coming back soon I'd stick with Campbell fir now personally.

Although thought Jeff would have been given a chance by now sincw he's been on the bench so much but Wenger mustn't really fancy him at all just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Herny 51
    Vieira 45
    Gilberto 44
    Freddie 44
    Bergkamp 38 (without flying)

That's the games by the invincibles in the 03/04 season.

Last year Rambo had 41, Ozil 38, Giroud 36, Walcott 20.

We have a fantastic squad who can't hit gear because they're never consistently together.

If we got 30 league games out of each of our first team, we'd win the league easily

I think I'm one of the few who has been happy with Campbell.

Everyone fit would he mate my starting eleven no.

But Girouds form has dropped so I think Walcott has to play up top and given our options on the right even with Chamberlain coming back soon I'd stick with Campbell fir now personally.

Although thought Jeff would have been given a chance by now sincw he's been on the bench so much but Wenger mustn't really fancy him at all just yet.

He does tend to divide opinion but we need goals on Wednesday and I think Grioud/Walcott is more likely to provide them than Walcott/Campbell.

Of course, if Campbell has a stormer on Saturday I will change my opinion as I am very fickle like that :pac:

I've said it before, but I'd love to see Giroud up the middle and Walcott down the right. Seems Wenger has no plans to ever do this though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Basil3 wrote: »
    I've said it before, but I'd love to see Giroud up the middle and Walcott down the right. Seems Wenger has no plans to ever do this though.

I don't think he wants to risk losing both of them to injury at the same time :pac:

I'd be a fan of this too TBH, It's amazing tho how sometimes things just don't work. When we signed Sanchez I was dreaming of a front 3 of:

Ox
    Sanchez
    Walcott

But as It turns out Ox still hasn't gotten where he needs to be and Sanchez doesn't look great as a lone striker, the 3 together probably wouldn't even work well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Playing Giroud and Theo at the same time can't be risked atm. We've no other cover for CF until Alexis or Welbeck are back. Let's recall Sanogo he'll be like a new signing :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I don't like the way Wenger keeps mentioning that Gibbs is back.
    No faith in that chap at all. Hate to see him near the team with his ducking and his fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Why would he not mention it? Gibbs is a grand player, you won't find a better back up left back in the league. Or a better left back than Monreal for that matter.

I think Ox is crucial now, if he kicks on he could make up for some of these injuries, if he doesn't we're gonna look really light in midfield and attack.

AdamD wrote: »
    Why would he not mention it? Gibbs is a grand player, you won't find a better back up left back in the league. Or a better left back than Monreal for that matter.

I think Ox is crucial now, if he kicks on he could make up for some of these injuries, if he doesn't we're gonna look really light in midfield and attack.

Have to disagree. I find Gibbs very cowardly. He is nowhere near as good at defending as Monrael in my view. Neither are good crossers of the ball incidentally.

Have to disagree. I find Gibbs very cowardly. He is nowhere near as good at defending as Monrael in my view. Neither are good crossers of the ball incidentally.

Monreal's delivery has been exceptional for a few months now.

Not last week. he has very few assists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

He was terrible against Norwich. I lost count of the number of awful crosses he delivered

Not last week. he has very few assists.

Wasn't great last time but had little to aim for. He consistently gets great pace and dip on it, just a matter of having a target to aim for.

Herny 51
    Vieira 45
    Gilberto 44
    Freddie 44
    Bergkamp 38 (without flying)

That's the games by the invincibles in the 03/04 season.

Last year Rambo had 41, Ozil 38, Giroud 36, Walcott 20.

We have a fantastic squad who can't hit gear because they're never consistently together.

If we got 30 league games out of each of our first team, we'd win the league easily

Just looked it up there and Pires made 36 league appearances that year.

So that's pretty much

Vieira - Gilberto
    Freddie - Pires
    Bergkamp
    Henry

For every game. Bergkamp missed 10 league games which is the most. The rest missed 2/3.

I know there's a gulf in class but if we had

Coq - Caz
    Rambo - Ozil - Sanchez
    Walcott

All together for 35/36 games. They'd be playing amazingly.

Wenger only used 6 midfielders that season FFS.

The four above, Parlour and Edu who got about 15 starts each.

After Henry and Bergkamp up front were Reyes and Wiltord with 5 or 6 starts each.

That team played Wenger football brilliantly. It was automatic.

THAT's where the fcuking handbrake comes from. The football isn't automatic and fluid because the formation/personnel just changed.

I'm not saying we're at the invincibles level but we'd be really good if we just had consistency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Just looked it up there and Pires made 36 league appearances that year.

So that's pretty much

Vieira - Gilberto
    Freddie - Pires
    Bergkamp
    Henry

For every game. Bergkamp missed 10 league games which is the most. The rest missed 2/3.

I know there's a gulf in class but if we had

Coq - Caz
    Rambo - Ozil - Sanchez
    Walcott

All together for 35/36 games. They'd be playing amazingly.

Wenger only used 6 midfielders that season FFS.

The four above, Parlour and Edu who got about 15 starts each.

So he didn't always injure all his players!? Hmmmmmm..

• Advertisement

At what stage will people stop using the invincibles as an excuse for everything I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

At what stage will people stop using the invincibles as an excuse for everything I wonder.

At what stage will people stop remembering how frickin good this team were and that his ethos hasn't changed?

It's very much a periodic cycle... It will come good again!

** He said hopefully **

Wasn't great last time but had little to aim for. He consistently gets great pace and dip on it, just a matter of having a target to aim for.

Don't buy that - Giroud was in the box for most if not all of Monreal's attempts. Admittedly there were a lot of Norwich defenders too but you would have thought that 1 or 2 of the crosses would have got close to a blue shirt.

Don't get me wrong I think Monreal's great and his attacking play is very inventive at times but he was poor last Sunday.

emmetlego wrote: »
    At what stage will people stop remembering how frickin good this team were and that his ethos hasn't changed?

It's very much a periodic cycle... It will come good again!

** He said hopefully **
    12 years is quite a period.

greendom wrote: »
    Don't buy that - Giroud was in the box for most if not all of Monreal's attempts. Admittedly there were a lot of Norwich defenders too but you would have thought that 1 or 2 of the crosses would have got close to a blue shirt.

Don't get me wrong I think Monreal's great and his attacking play is very inventive at times but he was poor last Sunday.
    Giroud was ahead of the play a lot and he was the only one in the box a lot. Wind didn't help either. Overall he's been in a great vein of form though.

Probably around the same time people stop throwing Strawmen up in here all the time.

All I'm saying is we can't do well with all these injuries and when we last did well, we didn't have these injuries.

I'm beginning to think that's too moderate for this thread so people keep rephrasing my words as some of you are just gagging for a row.

Chill out people. We can have a conversation without everything coming down to the same old argument.

• Advertisement

interesting list of injuries per club

http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php#c1?utm_source=webgains&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=22278&affid=222

Why aint city and united getting slated for injuries and only us?

I'm beginning to think that's too moderate for this thread so people keep rephrasing my words as some of you are just gagging for a row.

Not even a row, just to be able to say it's Wengers fault. The "one constant" thing was some great logic.

It might be easier if everyone agreed it is :)

http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php#c1?utm_source=webgains&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=22278&affid=222

They get sympathy and we get grief.

Actually United had a lot of injuries since Van Gaal came in..... Does he have same training methods as Wenger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I always keep an eye on physioroom, good source. With City anyway, they're squad is big enough and talented enough to cope with that many injuries. When it comes to Arsenal, no so much.

In those threads they sometimes do.

"Why us? " - many a football fan. (often if results aren't going their way)

• Advertisement

Most of City's are really short term. We are missing 5 nailed on starters for our first team, often for months at a time.

Arteta needs to be cut loose. His squad place needs to be taken by someone else, whether he's club captain or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Season after season.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Season after season.

Yes. We're always near the top. Other clubs may have slightly worse luck from time to time but I don't think it's luck with us.

Why can't Wenger say anything yet about Sanchez's injury. It's 5 days now, surely there is some indication.

Either the info is not being released just yet as it's more bad news, or Alexis turns up in the first 11 tomorrow afternoon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I think as other have mentioned is they have a bigger squad and more talent in depth.

I dont think you need to spend there millions to get close but what you have to do is realise that if you are limiting your numbers then you cant keep Arteta, Rosicky & Wilshire in the same squad, 2 need to be cut loose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Was thinking last night, I would like to see us play a 4-4-2 as an alternative sometimes. But then I was wondering could our team handle it (defensively) and even if they could, what would the team look like?

Assuming everyone was fit (big assumption, I know) do you think it could work and who would play where?

My team:

Cech
    Bellerin
    Kos----Mert/Gabriel
    Monreal
    Coquelin
    Walcott
    Cazorla/Ramsey(?)
    Ozil

Sanchez
    Grioud

Not sure about left midfield or about excluding either Cazorla or Ramsey from central midfield. One potential solution would be move Ozil to left midfield and put Ramsey/Caz behind the front two, but I don't know if that would suit Ozil and it would probably leave us vulnerable at the back.

Any thoughts?

farna_boy wrote: »
    Was thinking last night, I would like to see us play a 4-4-2 as an alternative sometimes. But then I was wondering could our team handle it (defensively) and even if they could, what would the team look like?

Assuming everyone was fit (big assumption, I know) do you think it could work and who would play where?

My team:

Cech
    Bellerin
    Kos----Mert/Gabriel
    Monreal
    Coquelin
    Walcott
    Cazorla/Ramsey(?)
    Ozil

Sanchez
    Grioud

Not sure about left midfield or about excluding either Cazorla or Ramsey from central midfield. One potential solution would be move Ozil to left midfield and put Ramsey/Caz behind the front two, but I don't know if that would suit Ozil and it would probably leave us vulnerable at the back.

Any thoughts?

Nice idea but the obvious answer is that Coquelin would be totally overrun in midfield.

Probably around the same time people stop throwing Strawmen up in here all the time.

All I'm saying is we can't do well with all these injuries and when we last did well, we didn't have these injuries.

Chill out people. We can have a conversation without everything coming down to the same old argument.

Where's the strawman exactly?

Also from before, the "ethos" to me seems different to the invincibles days, we used to counterattack. Funny enough we were doing that earlier in the season not seem to have lapsed back into possession stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Were top over the last 5 years for injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

My team:

Cech
    Bellerin
    Kos----Mert/Gabriel
    Monreal
    Coquelin
    Walcott
    Cazorla/Ramsey(?)
    Ozil

Sanchez
    Grioud

Any thoughts?

I assume you mean 4-4-2 diamond? I think our midfield is a bit too lightweight for that but I'd love to see it. Also don't think you'll catch Wenger dead playing 2 strikers atm.

• Advertisement

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Were top over the last 5 years for injuries.

Yea just seen that on sky not suprising really.

The frustrating thing from the club as always us the lack if transparency or trying to pretend there is no issue in public.

With Cazorla out until March you can count hus season as over and at his age it's not going to get any better.

I'd like to think the club would step up and sign some players in January but who knows.

Yea just seen that on sky not suprising really.

The frustrating thing from the club as always us the lack if transparency or trying to pretend there is no issue in public.

With Cazorla out until March you can count hus season as over and at his age it's not going to get any better.

I'd like to think the club would step up and sign some players in January but who knows.

I know we have said it before but we really have to now. Coq and Caz out is our centre piece gone. Ramsey will go in there with Flamini but you can be sure Flamini will pick something up soon too.

We really need something of substance in January otherwise we'll drop off yet again

Soups123 wrote: »
    I think as other have mentioned is they have a bigger squad and more talent in depth.

I dont think you need to spend there millions to get close but what you have to do is realise that if you are limiting your numbers then you cant keep Arteta, Rosicky & Wilshire in the same squad, 2 need to be cut loose

united have a larger squad then us?

Where's the strawman exactly?

Also from before, the "ethos" to me seems different to the invincibles days, we used to counterattack. Funny enough we were doing that earlier in the season not seem to have lapsed back into possession stuff.

I didn't make any excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

My team:

Cech
    Bellerin
    Kos----Mert/Gabriel
    Monreal
    Coquelin
    Walcott
    Cazorla/Ramsey(?)
    Ozil

Sanchez
    Grioud

Any thoughts?

Like the previous comments - i'd love to see it. I think we'd score lots. But it would leave Coq with an awful lot to do. Walcott and Ozil not the best for tracking back either!

united have a larger squad then us?

United are not doing much more than we are right now?

We've all the same size squads, thats the rule some have better quality in depth.

Soups123 wrote: »
    United are not doing much more than we are right now?

We've all the same size squads, thats the rule some have better quality in depth.

WHich is my point.

someone said they had a larger squad then us when in reality we have a larger squad then them

WHich is my point.

someone said they had a larger squad then us when in reality we have a larger squad then them

Ah right I think the point being made may have been that City have a better squad of players for there 25, better quality in depth.

We have been so unlucky, I think the muscle issues are more a consequence of how we play and how we do things. What happened say Coq and Caz is just unfortunate. For Jack, Rosicky and Arteta its just there make up all are brittle.

It would be good to see both Arteta and Rosicky now move on, which i am sure they will and be replaced with more reliable.

Its a shame about Rosicky he had the ability to be one of our greats but just cant stay fit.

We now need major investment in the club.
    We need to weed out the fragile and aging players and replace them.

Arteta, Flamini, Rosick and Cazorla are probably nearing their exits anyway.

Jack and Ox are fragile and cannot be relied on to compete in many games in succession. The club needs to look at the feasibility of retaining them too.

Walcott is much the same but a valuable player as he gives us something different in attack.

Campbell, Chambers and Gibbs have question marks about their ability. I don't think Gibbs is good enough.

We could do with at least 5 top-class players in the summer especially if we have a clear-out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

We now need major investment in the club.
    We need to weed out the fragile and aging players and replace them.

Arteta, Flamini, Rosick and Cazorla are probably nearing their exits anyway.

Jack and Ox are fragile and cannot be relied on to compete in many games in succession. The club needs to look at the feasibility of retaining them too.

Walcott is much the same but a valuable player as he gives us something different in attack.

Campbell, Chambers and Gibbs have question marks about their ability. I don't think Gibbs is good enough.

We could do with at least 5 top-class players in the summer especially if we have a clear-out.
    RE: the bolded bits!
    Don't think Santi is nearing an exit, I think he's generally been one of our best players regularly, and rarely gets injured.

I agree strongly about Gibbs, he never fulfilled his potential and went backwards a good bit, would like to see a replacement for him.

As for 5 top class players? We know Arsene won't do that sort of business, but I would really like to see replcements for Rosicky, Arteta/Flamini and Gibbs, and of course, a top class Centre Forward... Which defo won't happen!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement