Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 outta 3 ain't bad...right?

Options
  • 27-10-2015 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hopefully starting this log will give me the added push to stick with a training program through the short evenings.

I've never kept a log, or completed a triathlon mainly due to the fact I haven't swam the length of myself in about 10 years. I cycle a bit, and run a bit but have never really done so competitively.

My goals for 2016 are to complete a sprint triathlon, and hopefully a full tri depending on how comfortable I am in the water at that stage. Until I'm ready for that, there are plenty local adventure races and duathlons that I can take part in.

I have a bike and turbo trainer at my disposal. Obviously I'd much rather be out on the road but at least I have a contingency plan if the elements are against me. I also have just joined a pool to try and get comfortable in the water again. The first step will be getting the breathing right, and then build from there. The swim will be starting from scratch so I'll just need to stick with it. I've also got two legs so I've no excuses for running!

As 2016 is a bit far out I've set a few short term goals. I'd like to build up to swimming 500m comfortably without stopping. I'm also going to train towards completing a 10k in 45mins and cycling 50k in under 2 hours (not back to back) by 22nd December.

Hopefully by doing this I'll have a good base to start the new year.

(This all looks great on screen but I'm sure I'll regret it in the morning!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 onedegree

First week was a bit of a shock to the system.

I managed to clock up a couple of runs (17k total) and get a couple of hours in on the turbo trainer, which was painfully boring! I must try and get set up with some videos/podcasts to keep me entertained. The good weather got me out on the road on Saturday afternoon. I only did about 20k and picked up a puncture along the way, but it's always great to get some fresh air onto the lungs.

Swimming will be a slower process than I hoped. I'm slowly getting the hang of my breathing but not putting in any amount of lengths yet. I remember seeing a plan on here somewhere from one of the Boardsie elders, so I must try and dig it out!

Once I get into a decent routine between work and study, I will try and log times/distances more accurately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Good job!

I think you are doing the right thing by building a base and going from there.

It's the one thing I wished I had done myself.

Are you training with anyone or solo?

Hi Wolf,

I'm flying solo at the moment. My previous form has always been to procrastinate and end up doing nothing. I figure if I get through 6-8 weeks of building up to a level where I can start to enjoy a run/cycle then I'll be able to set myself a few nice challenges for 2016.

I'd also like to start looking at nutrition, S&C, etc so if anyone has any tips or useful links to get me started, that would be greatly appreciated!

As I mentioned, I'm doing this on my own, so if anyone is in the same boat and wants to log here they are more than welcome.

Slow week for cardio this week due to the weather and bike needing fixed up. I managed to get a run and cycle in but that was it. Instead I spent time on S&C and swimming.

Typical gym work involves Benchpress, Squat, Deadlift, Dumbell Row, Dumbell curl 3x12

Gym session - Wednesday/Friday/Monday

Swimming (25m pool) - 4 sessions

Still working on breathing, which is improving. I'm only managing to do 2 laps at a time but will try and increase that gradually.

I'm enjoying the workouts I am doing but seem to be procrastinating with running. I need to change that tis week.

Advertisement