Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to do with new'ish Rose plants

Options
  • 27-10-2015 11:53pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I bought 2 rose plants from Lidl in April and planted them at that time. They have grown ok, plenty of small leaves. Those leaves are now yellowing, so I assume they will totally die off for winter.
    What do I need to do with them now, just leave them be, or do any sort of cutting. They are still small in height, but seem to be coming along well enough.

I'm no gardening expert (obvs!), so just want to make sure I don't do the wrong thing & then they don't grow anymore after the winter! I can't remember the exact names of them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

You can leave them as they are. They will be ok.
    See how they get on next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

They shouldn't need any attention if you're happy enough about their shape and size etc. You could cut out any branches that have turned brown/died back or any very thin "whippy" ones. Apart from that roses are hardy enough. Keep the area around their stems weed and grass free, feed next spring and they should be fine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

lottpaul wrote: »
    They shouldn't need any attention if you're happy enough about their shape and size etc. You could cut out any branches that have turned brown/died back or any very thin "whippy" ones. Apart from that roses are hardy enough. Keep the area around their stems weed and grass free, feed next spring and they should be fine.

perfect thanks a mill! I was told they should flower next year, so hopefully they last throughout the winter & we get something out of them. I was really only chancing them by buying them in Lidl and seeing if they would grow...or if I could look after them! So far so good :)

Advertisement