Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in Bray

Options
  • 28-10-2015 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

hello,
    i'm looking to buy a house in Bray (lauderdale terrace) but am totally new to Bray outside of sunny trips to Bray Head, seafront etc which of course makes everything lovely!

I've heard lots of nice things and equally some bad things about Bray but am more interested in what people who actually live there think...
    wondering what safety is like walking home to lauderdale from the dart/nitelink/finnegans bus at night
    also wondering what the terrace and estate are like in general - seems like a lot of turn over of the houses on the terrace, even 2 empty houses at the moment (3 and 5) that don't seem to have been for sale recently from what I can tell... is that something I should be concerned about? (I'm a first time buyer and being a bit chicken about the whole thing!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

The negatives about Bray have been blown out of proportion and it usually comes from those living in South Dublin (never hear much negativity about it from anywhere else).

It is a mainly middle class town that has working class areas - without wanting to get bogged down in terminology. I've lived there on and off for 40 years and it has a town feel unlike the burbs of South Dublin.

Its image has over the last few years improved with the number of new restaurants, coffee shops and the Summerfest & Airshow. Theatre, comedy, sports clubs and gyms. Countryside to the south and city to the north. If you like seaside living, you're moving to the right place.

Had a few friends grow up in Lauderdale and it's a nice little estate. Think there is an aging population there as the lads I knew would be mid 40s now and parents in their 70s.

You are close there to Tesco, Aldi and the M50 and a downhill cycle to the DART via the main street or through Seacrest.

Safe as anywhere else getting there from the DART or late bus (which probably stops opposite the estate).

Come out for a cold wet day and pop into some of the Italian coffee shops for a real feel of the place. I'd recommend Carpe Diem for the real Bray experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 search_find

Thanks so much zoobizoo! That's exactly the type of information I was looking for - it sounds like a great place to live and just what I was hoping it to be.
    Much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

I'm living in Bray 20 years and I'd echo what zoobizoo said above. Bray gets a bad press and, in some cases it's justified, but by and large it's not. I meet mates of mine in Dalkey for a few beers about once a month and when I get off the DART I'll get a taxi if the weather isn't great but otherwise I'll walk. This would be at 11.45-00.15. Far from feeling unsafe usually you won't see another human being!

You're right to ask of course, but I wouldn't overthink things if I were you OP, there's not a whole lot going on generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 search_find

thanks marty_crane - I really appreciate your response.
    and you're totally right, its so easy to start overthinking things when you're making big decisions but theres also the element that life is what you make it wherever you go (within reason)
    lets hope we get the house we're looking for now!!

looking forward to the next grey and rainy weekend to try out carpe diem! .. a find, who's also looking to move to bray checked out the coffee wine and mozarella bar which sounds fun!

thanks again for your helpful responses!

Advertisement