Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Distressing vet visit

• 28-10-2015 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

I brought my dog to the vet today (he's an 8 year old miniature dachshund). He had been passing a kind of bloody mucus on and off over the last few weeks and I had put it down to perhaps something he ate. Anyway the vet said he has colitis and also his glands were very full and needed to be expressed. He asked a vet nurse to come in and hold him. My dog roared and screamed in pain. I almost cried seeing him such distress. It was horrible. Haven't been able to get it out of my mind all evening. The mucus that was expressed was thick and grey which I think means it was pretty badly built up as it's normally more like a fluid texture. I can't help thinking my dog should have been sedated for this procedure. He was obviously in pain and I just think you wouldn't hold down a person and subject them to this so why is it ok to do this to a dog. What do you think? He's on a course of antibiotics and has new food and we're going back in 2 weeks for a follow up. I'm going to discuss all this with the vet. He's fast asleep here bedside me nos and has forgotten his ordeal! Wish I could say the same, just feel so guilty. The way I see it too I'm his owner and I should have spoken up on his behalf but I suppose you place your trust in a vet that they know what they're doing. Does anyone have any experience of this? Would love to hear your opinions/advice

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Sedation at 8yo should only be as necessary. Already unwell I imagine the vet made the right choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

there's a serious risk with an anesthetic for a small dog. A moment of pain and instant relief was most probably preferable. I used to have a very small jack russel that used to have the same problem. If you see him develop the same problem, take him straight to the vet, don't let it build up.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭4Marie

Your poor little doggy, from my experience of going to the vet and there attitude is "if it's a procedure that can be preformed without knocking him out it then why not" I guess it's financially better for you?
    But the option should have been there.

I'd say your dog felt violated and when it's too much for animals they bite to protect themselves, how was his behaviour.

Was the dog offered pain relief? Before hand.
    I can't help but compare this to receiving treatment in the dentist for some reason. Like if you have a fear you can choose to be knocked out and your referred to somewhere else. And if it's going to cause pain you get an injection.

I think when your in the vets you should ask them to talk you through what they are going to do, and having this experience now you should ask as many questions in the interest of your dog not having a voice.

Poor dog, I'm sure he's getting lots of hugs and treats

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Thisname

Thanks everyone for the replies. I take your point about sedation at 8yo maybe being a bit risky but even a local anaesthetic or something to relax him? Hopefully he won't need this done again but if he does I'll be asking for something. And yes yellowlabrador I'll def bring him to the vet straight away if I see the signs again and not let it build up. I think some of my guilt is that I didn't bring him sooner! The procedure mightn't have been so bad if I had. He's on antibiotics and new bag of nuts (royal canin gastro intestinal). I think some of his problem might be diet related as although he eats a good diet of royal canin nuts, he's also partial to a bit of human food (not lots just the odd taste here and there!) but it can upset his system from time to time so anyway from now on it's strictly nuts only. I think the idea is that if his stools are firm enough he will naturally express from his glands when he passes them. So yes he's getting lots of tlc 4Marie but no treats! Also, any advice on getting him to swallow his antibiotic? (Forgot to ask the vet) I find it slips down nicely hidden in a bit of butter but might irritate things at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

I too would not have wanted to sedate a pup of that age unnecessarily.

I had two mini doxies, and I used to empty the glands of both myself. The vet showed my how to do it. It's very easy once you know what you are doing, and what you need to do. That way, I could do it regularly so there was no issues. Perhaps you could ask yourself, as it was obviously painful this time so doing it more regularly seems to be a good idea?

Whilst I appreciate it would have been terrible while he was roaring (I would have cried too) empting the glands is really a quick job, so hopefully he wasn't in distress for long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

To avoid it building up again add some all bran sticks / brand flakes (no milk) to your dogs food one day per week.. this will help keep them from filling up also look at the food your feeding him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Honestly, you are better off not sedating for routine procedures like that. Id say his glands are possibly infected or just very full so it was probably just very uncomfortable for him.

My nearly 9 year old rottie was in for blood tests a few weeks ago and he's a terrible patient, so i said instead of fighting with him, maybe give him a light sedation. Well it took a long time for him to come around and we were a bit worried at one stage and i was thinking, what have i done by getting him sedated, so really, if sedation is not absolutely necessary, then i wouldn't be getting it.

Advertisement