Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Multiple Banks for Credit Cards, Current A/Cs and Savings

• 28-10-2015 10:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

In an effort to get more prudent with the way I use my money, I have "diversified" the banks with which I deal with for different aspects of my finance.

I'm using one bank for current account, and another for savings (highest interest rate) and credit card (lowest APR). I also have a very small overdraft facility with on my current account linked to my savings account, that I plan on using (a/c is currently zero), and then paying back - as an alternative to using the CC where I can.

I guess my question is, is this approach prudent or should I just remain with one bank for all of my services? I am thinking more down the line when I eventually look to get a mortgage, car loan etc. As of now, I have no credit card debts, a very steady income and building savings each month (albeit between two different banks).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

You are taking the correct approach.

There is no advantage in having all your services with one bank. When you apply for a mortgage, records can easily be obtained from other banks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭wench

hada wrote: »
    I also have a very small overdraft facility with on my current account linked to my savings account, that I plan on using (a/c is currently zero), and then paying back - as an alternative to using the CC where I can.
    I wouldn't do this.
    Using and paying back your credit card is viewed as a sign you can manage your money, being regularly in an overdraft - even an authorized one - is a sign you can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

wench wrote: »
    I wouldn't do this.
    Using and paying back your credit card is viewed as a sign you can manage your money, being regularly in an overdraft - even an authorized one - is a sign you can't.

Using an overdraft facility now and again and never exceeding the limit counts as borrowing money and paying it back and will not have a detrimental effect on your credit record.

BoI told me a long time ago that as long as my current a/c was in the black once a quarter, I could use the overdraft facilty as much as I wanted to and it wouldn't be used against me when applying for a loan.

Advertisement