Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Halloween-Bangers/Fireworks/Rockets

• 28-10-2015 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if there's been a thread on the topic of the above Haloween paraphernelia but if there hasn't then here's my appeal to parents/young adults who have them for use on Saturday.

It's well known that many animals can get extremely nervous by the loud noises that come with the above celebrations. Some have been known to flee their homes to get away from the racket and in some cases are never found again.

My own dogs have already freaked a few times and I had problems trying to stop one of them running away because some people in my area have already started the Halloween 'festivities'(well over a week ago).

If you could take the bangers out into a field as far away from animals as possible, that would be great. And please don't let them off in a housing estates where you may end up terrorising dozens of animals and not even realise it.

Please don't let your own entertainment be to the detriment of innocent animals.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Just bring l the animals in and keep the volume on the TV up just a little higher than normal to block out the noise ( they'll still hear it but won't be as bad) and talk to them. Let them no it alright no one is gonna move to the fields just because a dog is afraid. Not all people are nice like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Just bring l the animals in and keep the volume on the TV up just a little higher than normal to block out the noise ( they'll still hear it but won't be as bad) and talk to them. Let them no it alright no one is gonna move to the fields just because a dog is afraid. Not all people are nice like that.

I used to this.
    Shadow would still use his teeth and claws to try and bore holes through the room walls and was usually left bleeding from his feet and mouth and usually just sat in a corner with his face against the wall panting until they stopped. Anything from a few hours to a week at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

CFlat wrote: »

If you could take the bangers out into a field as far away from animals as possible, that would be great. And please don't let them off in a housing estates where you may end up terrorising dozens of animals and not even realise it.

Please don't let your own entertainment be to the detriment of innocent animals.

Just to clarify an obvious point, make sure in rural areas that you are far away from livestock, I've heard some horror stories of horses getting burned or hit by bangers. They're already going off round the yard I keep my mare in and I nearly hit the deck the other night as a result of the noise...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I agree that fireworks are a pita - they're going off weeks in our area and worse this week with the midterm break...BUT I don't expect/wouldn't ask people (especially in API where everyone knows better..) to go off into a field or not use them at all. I try work with my dog to get him more comfortable.
    We've done a lot of work and he now goes to one of his safe places in the house when he hears them instead of panicking. He spent the last few hours going between my bed and the landing. We played firework sounds a lot last year from the start of septbet on. We adaptil, lavender, calming treats and an anxiety shirt. He finally came downstairs there when we got pizza so he could wait for some crust :p I haven't and won't walk him in the evening this week (he'd try to run home off lead and would pull me home on lead) and will do a extra long walk on Saturday morning then they're in for the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

It's them poxy lanterns are the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Mo has been barking and growling at skeletons and ghosts hanging outside people's front doors.

He'll be on a farm miles from the nearest town on Saturday and the noise hasn't been too bad around our estate so far this week.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

To add to this--Keep your cats in if you can.
    Little scumbags get no better kicks than harming defenceless animals this time of the year.

So far so good here. Bailey got a bit scared earlier but settled with a pizzle and some 'calming music for dogs' from YouTube blasting out of the iPad as well as the karma wrap, adaptil spray and calming treats. I bribed him into the sitting room with some treats and he fell asleep beside me on the couch after more treats and petting non stop. He's asleep on the floor now.
    I'm just hoping the party next door doesn't involve fireworks at some stage(!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I thought Lucyfur would go nuts but she's been sitting in the window watching the pretty fireworks since about 6pm. Whenever theirs a few minutes of a break she looks at me and her look is 'where are they gone, I want more'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,945 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

our poor doggies going nuts here all day. slowly getting worse im afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Lots of Adaptil sprayed around here with blankets over chairs and her crate so she can move from one dark cosy space to the next. Despite some concentrated series of blasts outside she's only displayed a few minutes of anxiety and barking. She was unsettled but it's manageable. Thanks to whoever suggested Adaptil last year. It's a godsend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Lola wasn't happy at all. had the tv up loud, the curtains down, cuddling her on the sofa, but she still painted, barked and flailed about so much that her mouth was bleeding.

It's still going on outside but lola seems a little more calm now, probably from exhaustion.

We made it guys! Poor Lola though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

We were very lucky. Opie was outside when the neighbours two doors down started letting them off. There was an awful echo off them and he got a bit of a fright, but we put him straight into his crate in the living room and he slept right through them! Human baby was also unphased so I'll claim that as a victory!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭fathead82

No problems here with fireworks as we are 2 miles from the nearest town & our dogs are used to loud bangs from hearing gunshots. I still had them all in as soon as it got dark because my biggest fear at Halloween is some scrote throwing a banger over the wall and one of the dogs picking it up & blowing their jaw off.
    There's lots of lost dogs on facebook this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

So many lost dogs on facebook. I see two of my 'friends' on facebook lost dogs. One left her two out in the garden till 9 o'clock and went to get them and they were gone. She found one last night and the other one about 6 miles away as he was picked up, she was lucky, though still won't teach her. The other left his 2 out until 10 even though there was a bonfire and fireworks going off near his house. Still no sign of them, in a panic, posting pathetic help statues on facebook. If he brought them in, he wouldn't be in this situation. Idiots

My younger dog was not walked yesterday at all because she would have bolted if she heard any loud bang. She was kept in all day and night and wouldn't leave the house from 5 yesterday so she didn't go out to the toilet until 4 this morning, until I got up and let her out. Today she'll be the same and won't go for a walk. Compared to the older dog who never had a problem with Halloween. I used to bring her trick or treating when I was a child and did last night as I went with my two little nephews. Where I live is a safe place at Halloween as there's a bonfire and youngsters letting off fireworks but no trouble or gatherings of youths.

Well we were out there with the dogs and just as we had them back in the car fireworks started going off(!) They just listened... and we cheered much to everyone's bemusement in the car park :p Calming music back on for the drive home! I have it on again for them now lol - they love it!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joe-ePqCqWc

Advertisement