Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where are all the hens?

• 28-10-2015 1:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭

I have long been pestered by my children and grandchildren to get some hens or goats, but I am not keen on the goats. I am lucky to have a couple of acres around the cottage which would suit a few hens but I have been putting off getting them whilst I refurbish the old place. However, that refurb is coming to a close within the next couple of months so the subject of chickens raised its head again recently.

Inspired by AngelDaisys recent thread I have been preparing the ground, so to speak, for getting some hens in before christmas. I am planning on naming the hens after my 3 grandchildren and letting them choose one each. They are very excited. I also think it will be very educational for them.

So, new coop selected, assembled and painted, feeder and water holder bought and ready. Bummed a few bags of straw from a local farmer and have chopped up enough to last a few months. Pellets bought and stored in metal container so now on to the easy bit. Buying hens.

Easy bit.... Ha! Not one to be had anywhere. I live in rural Mayo... one would think this bit would be easy. Ballina Market?.. Nope, hen man gone for the season. Local Farmers? Nope, only one of 5 around me keeps hens and he has very few. Surely rescued battery hens? Nope. Last post on Google was a couple of years ago. Facebook? Nope. Poultry breeders in Mayo on the Irish fowl website? Nope. 4 emailed and called... nothing this time of year.

Short of cold calling every house or farm that has any evidence of poultry keeping I am at a loss. Are my grandchildren destined for disappointment? Would welcome any suggestions.

TT

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

PM Sent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

When you say Ballina Market, do you mean the mart?

Have you tried Donedeal? You may have to travel a bit but there's loads there, or try a few rescue centres around you to see if they know of any recovered battery hens that need homes. These still lay but once they are over 2 (I think) they are removed as they lay slightly less than younger hens.
    I see a few around Connacht on Done Deal actually, one in Galway and one in Sligo there may suit.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Pm sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Carrick on Shannon or Westport on Saturday nights are good spots to find them :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

The reason why they may be hard to come by is because all the point of lay pullets are probably bred and sold!

No matter where you buy them from, if you dont know your hens, make sure that they are old enough to be able to tell if they are hens or cockerals! Hopefully the person you are going to buy them from is a knowlegable/reputable breeder, and you will get decent stock. Be sure that their eyes and nares and vents are clean. Their eyes should be bright and clear. Their combs and wattles - not too 'grown'! - should be a decent red colour - not pale or purple. Their legs clear and smooth and yellowish.

Good luck and welcome to the addictive world of hen-keeping!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Kovu wrote: »
    When you say Ballina Market, do you mean the mart?

Have you tried Donedeal?

Kovu. Yes, sorry meant the Mart.

I was keeping an eye on Donedeal but there were only 2 adverts when I checked last week. Few more new ones over the past few days, I should of checked. Always a bit reluctant about Donedeal as I have been burned before with tools and materials, travelling long distances to find they don't match the descriptions. Also buyng livestock from there goes against the grain. Anyway, I have made an enquiry with one advertiser and am going to see some birds tomorrow so crossed fingers.

Thanks for the PM's too, looks like I just missed the latest batch of rescues. Thanks Aonb for the advice also, I have been reading up on red mites.
    Carrick on Shannon or Westport on Saturday nights are good spots to find them tongue.png

And looking at the state of some of them they belong in cages too!

Thanks all

TT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

There is a rescue based in Kildare who currently have dozens of hens looking for new homes. They have drop off points around the country.

If you're interested PM me and I'll send you their details.

Thanks Valentina. I have details of that centre.

TT

Just an update to the thread.

Using Aonb's excellent advice, I selected and collected 3 RIR hens from a larger and free range flock this afternoon. Into their new coop box for an hour and then allowed out into their small run until dusk.

They are eating well and have already met my two girls, Callie and Holly, and were not fazed at all by them. I am trying to reinforce a non-barking rule, and so far so good.

The only issue so far is that they are clearly establishing a pecking order and the lowliest one is getting pecked around the head and body by the other two.

I will monitor them tomorrow.

Thanks for y'all help.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 25 dogluver

Contact <snip>. The have rescued lots of ex-battery hens over the last year or so. They are based in Kildare so distance maybe a problem but I am sure they would have some hens available.

Mod note, please make any recommendations for rescue groups by pm only, as per the charter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement