Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giving a cat medicine

• 28-10-2015 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭

Our cat recently became ill after a stay in the cattery.

She was prescribed antibiotics and anti inflammatories. Initially we hid the tablets in food but after a couple of days she got wise to the hidden tablet trick and refused to take them that way. We tried crushing them into her wet food, she ate around them.

So, we resorted to wrapping her in a towel and manually stuffing them into her mouth. This was initially successful but has become more and more difficult. We watched youtube videos but the cats in those videos are not whipping their heads back and forth and spitting the tablets out so many times that they become soggy and unusable!!

Anyone any tips to help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I wrap them in a towel and get someone to cradle them like a baby.
    Then I gently squeeze at the base of their mouth so they have to open their mouth If a tablet with butter doesn't go down straight away or if the politer cats get it stuck on their tongue when my aim for the threat wasn't great, I hold their tongue down with the long bit of a spoon and it should help. Finally I hold their mouth closed and massage the throat to encourage swallowing.

All while ignoring the murderous 'I will maul you in your sleep' growls and wails coming from said cat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

We have lots of rescue/feral cats. I HATE giving meds...

But, if it's a tablet, I use a pill crusher and put in a small amount on Primular and mix up (it's much creamer than regular cream cheese and luckily, only one cat won't eat it) As long as vet says ok, I pull apart capsules and again use Primular to mix, or for that one that doesn't like Primular, dissolve in some gravy.

Recently, we had a very sick boy that didn't like the Primula any more, so I got fresh wafer thin beef from the butcher - and dissolved the crushed tablets in that - folding it over so he was never meds side up.

Apparently, heating up stuff can help, as the heating increases the smell, but we've been lucky so far with all of the above, so haven't had to try that.

I also have one of these, which helps when you have no option other than towelling them. It definitely helps but you have to be confident with it - so practice first with a tablet in it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buster-Tablet-Introducer-Giver-Classic/dp/B004ZCHVUQ/ref=sr_1_6?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1446044315&sr=1-6&keywords=pill

My friends have told me to try these - but I haven't had a need yet. Apparently they work. I'd be a bit doubtful with our lot, but maybe worth a try?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Greenies-Feline-Pockets-Chicken-1-6oz/dp/B001FSJCPK/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1446044363&sr=1-1&keywords=pill

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Thanks for the tips, I will try all of the above.

The gravy one might work alright as she likes to like the gravy off wet cat food (but leave the food - processed meat? No way!).

Ive never tried her on cream cheese - she is very fussy and uncatlike (wont eat anything fishy!!).

The holding like a baby in a towel is fraught with the same head whipping problems I think - I was laughing about holding down her tongue, with the head whipping you can barely get to her mouth lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you can get hold of a large handful of scruff (back of neck, like a mother carrying a kitten) their reflex is to go quiet. This also helps open the cats mouth, but you really do need two calm, confident people to get tablets into a cat - one to hold, one to apply medicine! Liquid medicine is much easier.

looksee wrote: »
    If you can get hold of a large handful of scruff (back of neck, like a mother carrying a kitten) their reflex is to go quiet. This also helps open the cats mouth, but you really do need two calm, confident people to get tablets into a cat - one to hold, one to apply medicine! Liquid medicine is much easier.

I do wish the animal medicine manufacturers made the medicine tasty so the cat would like it!!

I remember years ago having to dose a bunny with antibiotic, it came in liquid form to be dosed using a large syringe type thing. Well the bunny LOVED the medicine! It was like bunny heroin! He used put his two paws up onto the syringe and grab it with his teeth and try to manually pull the whole syringe off you while madly sucking and gulping to get it into him all the faster! Now thats what I call animal medicine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

How to give a cat a pill:

Pick up cat and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth, pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.
    Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.
    Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.
    Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm, holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.
    Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.
    Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.
    Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.
    Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil, and blow down drinking straw.
    Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink 1 beer to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.
    Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Open another beer. Place cat in cupboard, and close door onto neck, to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.
    Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Drink beer. Fetch bottle of Scotch. Pour shot, drink. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus shot. Apply whiskey compress to cheek to disinfect. Toss back another shot. Throw T-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.
    Call fire department to retrieve the damn cat from tree across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil-wrap.
    Tie the little @!!@#@#$%'s front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table, find heavy-duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of steak filet. Be rough about it. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.
    Consume remainder of Scotch. Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and remove pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.
    Arrange for SPCA to collect mutant cat from hell and call local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

In seriousness though - I have crushed it up into wet food with gravy with successful results.
    Also had to pour liquid through a syringe into mouth every morning before going to work - that was interesting to say the least. A lot of it ended up on my hands and STANK. But I am as persistent and stubborn as she is when I need to be the boss human!

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I do wish the animal medicine manufacturers made the medicine tasty so the cat would like it!!

I remember years ago having to dose a bunny with antibiotic, it came in liquid form to be dosed using a large syringe type thing. Well the bunny LOVED the medicine! It was like bunny heroin! He used put his two paws up onto the syringe and grab it with his teeth and try to manually pull the whole syringe off you while madly sucking and gulping to get it into him all the faster! Now thats what I call animal medicine!

Canigest for dogs is the same. Ra used to go mad for it, though she was such a greedy guts that getting medicine into her was never a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Don't use a towel - it drives them crazy! Less is best. I've recently spent three weeks in a cat shelter teaching the helpers this the one-person technique shown in this video. Everyone was able to manage with all but a few complete head-case kittens after practising it a few times.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtZ-8YT-etM

Key points:
    - have the cat up high on a non-slip surface (if you're going to use a towel, lay it out flat)
    - press down on the back of the neck like she says!
    - bend the cat's head rriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight back. Like reaaaaaaaaaallllllllly riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight back! That's where all my trainees made their biggest mistake. You won't break his neck! His lower jaw must be vertical before you go any further, otherwise you won't be able to aim the tablet properly towards the back of the throat.
    - drop the tablet in (or poke it in if you want) so that it goes right to the back of his mouth AND KEEP HIS HEAD UP; second biggest trainee mistake: letting go too soon. Relax his head just enough so that he can close his mouth, rub his nose or between his eyes until he licks his nose. Job done. Giving water like she does in the video is a good idea, but not if it's going to add to the stress.

If he's got inflamed gums, you need to modify the technique a little, pulling up the lips more than pressing directly on the gums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

I do think confidence is a huge factor if you do have to pill them.

When I'm on my own, I just find it easier to use the towel - it saves those claws from scratching the life out of me.

But confident and quick is defo the way to go...

*edit*

Just watched that video, CelticRambler, blimy, it looks like magic - will give that a go next time!!!

Don't use a towel - it drives them crazy! Less is best. I've recently spent three weeks in a cat shelter teaching the helpers this the one-person technique shown in this video. Everyone was able to manage with all but a few complete head-case kittens after practising it a few times.

Eh, our cat wont even stay still to stand by you to begin this method lol!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Yeah, he will. :) You've got to let him know you're serious (this time!) A firm hand on his shoulders and no talking nicely to him before you start. ;)

In fact, I chose that video instead of the others showing the same technique because that cat is not being cooperative. She looks likes she's behaving but what you're seeing is the nurse "restraining" her with cat-appropriate techniques, then doing the business in one efficient movement.

Once you convince yourself that you can do it, and don't make it into a fight ('cos then you will lose) it's really easy. I had one trainee who was scared of cats when she came on the Monday, and by Friday was hoiking them out of their baskets, popping their pills and holding them for blood tests without a scratch or a hissy fit (from either party! :D ) - no towels, collars or muzzles needed.

Yeah, he will. :) You've got to let him know you're serious (this time!) A firm hand on his shoulders and no talking nicely to him before you start. ;)

In fact, I chose that video instead of the others showing the same technique because that cat is not being cooperative. She looks likes she's behaving but what you're seeing is the nurse "restraining" her with cat-appropriate techniques, then doing the business in one efficient movement.

Once you convince yourself that you can do it, and don't make it into a fight ('cos then you will lose) it's really easy. I had one trainee who was scared of cats when she came on the Monday, and by Friday was hoiking them out of their baskets, popping their pills and holding them for blood tests without a scratch or a hissy fit (from either party! :D ) - no towels, collars or muzzles needed.

Perhaps I need to go for a days training with you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I mash the tablets in butter and put the little lump of butter on my cat's nose. She licks it off immediately.

Advertisement