Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

payments made by contactless visa not debited

• 28-10-2015 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Hi

In the last 3 weeks, 3 payments made by contactless visa have not been debited from my account. I contacted the first business, which is a small cafe, and the manager explained that the staff had forgotten to wait for the confirmation. The other 2 were made in big chains and I have no idea who to contact. Every time, I remember seeing the 'Card OK' sign on the Visa machine, so I'm surprised as to why it doesn't work?

Has it happened to anyone else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Afaik, contactless payments are processed 'offline', meaning they aren't immediately debited (and won't show on your pending transactions list). The bank doesn't get notified of the transaction until they receive the merchant receipt from the business. The 3 transactions may yet be debited from your account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

Not sure what the issue is?

Curious, why are are contacting these people to see why they haven't taken your money, surely it is their problem not yours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Curious, why are are contacting these people to see why they haven't taken your money, surely it is their problem not yours?

Not really. When you do a transaction on your card, the debiting company has 6 months to take the payment from your account. Most people would prefer the payment comes out right away, as they've budgeted for it at that time. If it doesn't, it can come out at a later, more inconvenient time and screw with your finances. It makes sense to try get it sorted asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Because I'm being too honest? I contacted the first vendor when it happened and he confirmed the payment hadn't registered on their Visa terminal so it was their loss and the payment has been written off

The other 2 went through within a few days. I hadn't realised they could only go through later, I thought something had gone wrong with the transaction

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 eoin956

I have used contactless payments many time and it always takes a few days to show up. Usually about 5 days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

The delay is the reason I avoid it.
    Was in a pub the other day and handed my card to the barwoman and she automatically scanned in using contactless without asking.
    I was not impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

dobsdave wrote: »
    The delay is the reason I avoid it.
    Was in a pub the other day and handed my card to the barwoman and she automatically scanned in using contactless without asking.
    I was not impressed.

I've taken to asking for a receipt so I can keep track of them. Awful pain in the behind.

Advertisement