Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selecting moderators

Options
  • 28-10-2015 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Can someone tell me how moderators are selected please? Is it the person who posts the most and spends all day on boards? If so this does not automatically mean knowledge! I was on boards years ago and recently joined again under a different username. It's the same old mods closing threads and giving warnings. Can someone please explain the selection process please?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Lamp69 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me how moderators are selected please? Is it the person who posts the most and spends all day on boards? If so this does not automatically mean knowledge! I was on boards years ago and recently joined again under a different username. It's the same old mods closing threads and giving warnings. Can someone please explain the selection process please?

Depends on a variety of factors including (but not limited to) prolific posters, lack of mod actions taken against them, provides & engages in civil debates, helpful posters, who has shown they can use sound judgement and be impartial, and generally who the existing mods or cmods think would make a good addition to the mod team of that forum for the betterment of that forum.

It's not who posts a lot or is online a lot. The key thing is simply "Who is the best choice".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Lamp69

Penn wrote: »
    Depends on a variety of factors including (but not limited to) prolific posters, lack of mod actions taken against them, provides & engages in civil debates, helpful posters, who has shown they can use sound judgement and be impartial, and generally who the existing mods or cmods think would make a good addition to the mod team of that forum for the betterment of that forum.

It's not who posts a lot or is online a lot. The key thing is simply "Who is the best choice".

Well some of them cannot do a good job when someone asks you a question in a thread, you reply and the mod tells you not to post there again. Power trip to me

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Well some of them cannot do a good job when someone asks you a question in a thread, you reply and the mod tells you not to post there again. Power trip to me

They may have had their reasons or perhaps you broke a rule accidentally. Best course of action would be to PM them to discuss and see what happened before simply labelling them a powertripper.

Penn wrote: »
    They may have had their reasons or perhaps you broke a rule accidentally. Best course of action would be to PM them to discuss and see what happened before simply labelling them a powertripper.

I did and they ignored it. I remembered there was a reason I left boards for years and it's the same issue. Mod doesn't agree with you and they shut you down. Please review the mods in relationships as they may think the issue is not important but to the poster it is.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It seems to me the mod who closed your thread gave an honest, concise and fair reason for doing so. There was no argument or disagreement or agenda of any other kind that I can see.

What is strange is to jump from one well-reasoned thread closure to questioning the whole process of selecting mods across the site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I did and they ignored it. I remembered there was a reason I left boards for years and it's the same issue. Mod doesn't agree with you and they shut you down. Please review the mods in relationships as they may think the issue is not important but to the poster it is.

In RI, I think your thread was closed based on the number of threads you've posted. The charter specifically prohibits numerous threads in a short space of time.

If you think they've done wrong though, you can always chat to a Category Mod and ask them to review, or post a thread in the Help Desk for review.

An File wrote: »
    It seems to me the mod who closed your thread gave an honest, concise and fair reason for doing so. There was no argument or disagreement or agenda of any other kind that I can see.

What is strange is to jump from one well-reasoned thread closure to questioning the whole process of selecting mods across the site.

Course you do. Oh forget it - waste of time

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Course you do. Oh forget it - waste of time

If this is typical of your approach to dealing with people who are trying to help you or inform you, then I foresee more thread-closures in the future.

Here's a tip for free: try to behave like a well-mannered adult, and others will treat you with the same respect.

Sarcasm and throwing your toys out of the pram? Not so great.

An File wrote: »
    If this is typical of your approach to dealing with people who are trying to help you or inform you, then I foresee more thread-closures in the future.

Here's a tip for free: try to behave like a well-mannered adult, and others will treat you with the same respect.

Sarcasm and throwing your toys out of the pram? Not so great.

Have you looked at my thread called "fussy" or "tinder guy" - the amount of posts with sarcasm against me and not one thing said to them. I say something in my defence and I'm given a post to read the charter from thus said moderator. Only so much unfairness you can take

Look at a thread "money as a birthday gift" some poster asked me a question and I replied. Look the the mods last post to me. Now if you agree that they were justified in that tone then I seriously am shocked!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

It's the same old mods closing threads and giving warnings. Can someone please explain the selection process please?

OK as mod of PI and cmod of Soc let me come in here.

The mod in question is not the same old mod. They are a new mod, who has kindly volunteered their personal time to help guide the forum. They were selected based on their constructive and helpful input over an extended period on the forum.

As to the call they made - as other posters here have called out - the PI charter is clear on not opening multiple threads in a short space of time. Added to that as you'd expect in a forum that deals with issues ranging from light to very very serious the charter is applied strictly - we make no apologies for that.

Reviewing your posts and how you responded to comments you received I fully support the advice given. Sometimes posters have to accept that Boards just cannot help. It's at best a sticky plaster and for some just the right nudge they need, for others it has to be a launchpad to seeking help elsewhere when continuing to advise them here is no longer serving a useful purpose - instead allowing some posters to come back again and again places them at risk of not getting the best help they need. There's no shame in that, we have to hold our hands up when we see a poster we feel we can't help and for their own good suggest they seek help elsewhere.

Hopefully this helps set some context as well as correct some misperception of the same old mods. Possibly the bolded text has caused offense here, but the direction I think still stands and I'd like to echo that advice to you.

• Advertisement

Taltos wrote: »
    OK as mod of PI and cmod of Soc let me come in here.

The mod in question is not the same old mod. They are a new mod, who has kindly volunteered their personal time to help guide the forum. They were selected based on their constructive and helpful input over an extended period on the forum.

As to the call they made - as other posters here have called out - the PI charter is clear on not opening multiple threads in a short space of time. Added to that as you'd expect in a forum that deals with issues ranging from light to very very serious the charter is applied strictly - we make no apologies for that.

Reviewing your posts and how you responded to comments you received I fully support the advice given. Sometimes posters have to accept that Boards just cannot help. It's at best a sticky plaster and for some just the right nudge they need, for others it has to be a launchpad to seeking help elsewhere when continuing to advise them here is no longer serving a useful purpose - instead allowing some posters to come back again and again places them at risk of not getting the best help they need. There's no shame in that, we have to hold our hands up when we see a poster we feel we can't help and for their own good suggest they seek help elsewhere.

Hopefully this helps set some context as well as correct some misperception of the same old mods. Possibly the bolded text has caused offense here, but the direction I think still stands and I'd like to echo that advice to you.

Rest assured I won't be asking advise again and fair enough I opened 3 threads in 2 weeks - doesn't mean I need counselling though!! One last note - why were other posters allowed to "name call" me and nothing was said to them? I defent myself and I'm told read the charter?!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Did you report the posts you found to be objectionable?

Shield wrote: »
    Did you report the posts you found to be objectionable?

No. My issue is not with the posters because in fairness people will post what they like. My issue is with the moderator who slammed on any post I did defending myself but she/he ignored people saying they felt sorry for the guy I was dating etc

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Perhaps you could take the Amp Test and become a mod yourself Lamp69?

It's not for the faint-hearted mind you...took some people years.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Defending yourself typically boils down to derailment or off-topic discussions, which certainly don't help in sensitive forums (and isn't even acceptabed on standard forums outside of possible Off-Topic sticky threads designed for it). Rather than risk dragging topics away from the subject matter, posters are encouraged to refrain from publicly arguing with each other and, instead, report the post to highlight the issue to Moderators who will then revert the discussion back into chartered/acceptable territory.

Naturally a lot of posters are then inclined to believe they have been hard done by because - in their eyes - they were disrespected and in wanting to stand up for themselves, it is often them (or in most cases, both parties) given a slap on the wrist for breaking basic guidelines, not just the one who threw the first e-stone.

You're right, it's not about the posters - so stem it from there. You do not have to deal with them, so use the report button to have the right people do it for you while you remain on the topic at hand. The basic rule of thumb is you attack the post, not the poster. If someone attacks you instead, you have tools at hand to direct a Moderator to the problem and have them diffuse the situation.

Not true. People can post within the guidelines, which isn't necessarily the same as 'what they like'. It is not just the Moderators who assist keeping threads on topic as reported posts are one of if not the most prominent means of highlighting problems, which starts with you. If you choose not to use it and, instead, opt to fight your own battles, then it will be no surprise if other threads are locked because of it.

Ok thanks this makes a lot of sense. Your tone is nice and calm - the other moderators tone to me just really got to me with no explanation and big bold writing!!! Thank you and apologies if I've done wrong.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ok thanks this makes a lot of sense. Your tone is nice and calm - the other moderators tone to me just really got to me with no explanation and big bold writing!!! Thank you and apologies if I've done wrong.

Bolded text is mods way of posting as a mod and not a regular user

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

As mentioned, writing in bold basically means they're writing as a mod. That way, if they want to offer advice themselves, they just type in normal font. Bold font basically means 'l'm writing this as a moderator and not a poster, so please bear that in mind.' It's common on boards, it's not to try be rude at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Mostly the cmods get to decide nowadays. We generally pick those who pay us most. Sometimes candidates try to call us out on this method (some insane theory that its biased and unfair) but they end up sitebanned and silenced.

You can also approach an admin directly and offer to paint their house or be their slave for 10 years, that has been known to work.

Either will work. :)

* please note, the above post may contain fiction.

Steve wrote: »
    Mostly the cmods get to decide nowadays. We generally pick those who pay us most. Sometimes candidates try to call us out on this method (some insane theory that its biased and unfair) but they end up sitebanned and silenced.

You can also approach an admin directly and offer to paint their house or be their slave for 10 years, that has been known to work.

Either will work. :)

* please note, the above post may contain fiction.

First mod I've seen with a sense of humour :) no offence to the others lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Haha, I'm old school. been here too long and don't really subscribe to this new fangled political correctness crap :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

He's a grumpy ould bollix in real life :D

And to be fair, to be a mod it's a balance between helping enforce the rules, and having a sense of humour about things :)

Stheno wrote: »

And to be fair, to be a mod it's a balance between helping enforce the rules, and having a sense of humour about things :)

And the odd time I go overboard, but always get brought back in line by the crew.. :D

Another one with a sense of humour :)

Steve wrote: »
    And the odd time I go overboard, but always get brought back in line by the crew.. :D

I seem to remember you getting uppity on a sailiing crew, and being propelled overboard :D
    Another one with a sense of humour :)

You'd be amazed the amount of mods with the same. :)

PI is a horror to mod, it's very black and white

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Steve's wages have been docked by 50% due to his wild disregard for Modlaw.

Gordon wrote: »
    Steve's wages have been docked by 50% due to his wild disregard for Modlaw.

Can I have a bye on this? I only posted as a newbie mod, and haven't hit my basic quota of hookers and coke yet?

I seem to remember you getting uppity on a sailiing crew, and being propelled overboard :D

You'd be amazed the amount of mods with the same. :)

PI is a horror to mod, it's very black and white

I can imagine. I really didn't mean any badness in my posts and I assume the mod that I took offence to didnt either. So hard to tell by text/emails/threads

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Interesting choice of thread subject. Given that I'm the Mod you refer to, you might also like to clarify for everyone that you were ultimately yellow carded for the following post after having already been warned for a number of unsuitable posts:

No thanks. Ooh I've posted without reading your charter. Oops. Ban me. Thanks in advance

In any event, muppetry (opening multiple threads, abusing other posters, time wasting and ignoring the charter) are all actionable. As per your plethora of personal messages to me, if you're evidently upset with my moderating style then please do report me, I stand by every action so I'm only too happy to give further details.

A mere culmination of a series of unfortunate events my dear, Lemony Snicket moment. ;)

• Advertisement

Merkin wrote: »
    No thanks. Ooh I've posted without reading your charter. Oops. Ban me. Thanks in advance

That is, indeed, an unfortunate choice of reply to a moderator here.

I would, in general, agree to the ban request when it's asked for in those terms.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement