Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not giving receipts?

Options
  • 28-10-2015 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

What is the legal situation if a shop doesn't give you a receipt? I have found in some shops they asked me if I want a receipt, and I always say yes. This has happened to me in a few petrol stations recently, and again in a department store. The petrol stations gave me the receipt when I asked for it, but the department store didn't.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

You should be given one if requested but afaik there's still no legal obligation for a shop to give a receipt despite Phil Hogan calling for a change in 2004.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/shops-urged-to-give-receipts-1.1152570
    Currently, according to the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment, there is no legal obligation for shops or service providers to provide customers with a receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

Surely there has to be some legal obligation on the behalf so you can prove you purchased that item. If security of the store requested to see a receipt, or if you had to return an item, as no store will take back an item without proof of purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

None really.

Proof of purchase isn't always a receipt. You might have a CC statement showing the name of the shop and the amount paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I don't know why a department store wouldn't give you a receipt, if you bought clothes or household products.

What I don't understand is getting a receipt when you buy something like a coffee. What am I going to do, return it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I don't know why a department store wouldn't give you a receipt, if you bought clothes or household products.

What I don't understand is getting a receipt when you buy something like a coffee. What am I going to do, return it? :)

You may want to claim a coffee back on expenses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

The security issue bothers me. How can I prove to the security guard that I bought an item? I can't of course. And being stopped at the door of the shop I wouldn't have a CC statement on me for something I had just purchased.

Regarding claiming expenses. In my last job I had to deal with sales staff expenses and they always gave me their receipts for their coffees and snacks which they bought along the road. No receipt - no payment!

This has happened to me several times over the last six or eight weeks now and I'm wondering how widespread is it? Anyone else experiencing this yet?

While many places don't offer a receipt I don't recall ever being refused a receipt so I doubt it's widespread at all.
    If it's so important to have a receipt then make it a condition of purchase by telling them you need a receipt before you buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    The security issue bothers me. How can I prove to the security guard that I bought an item? I can't of course. And being stopped at the door of the shop I wouldn't have a CC statement on me for something I had just purchased.

Regarding claiming expenses. In my last job I had to deal with sales staff expenses and they always gave me their receipts for their coffees and snacks which they bought along the road. No receipt - no payment!

This has happened to me several times over the last six or eight weeks now and I'm wondering how widespread is it? Anyone else experiencing this yet?
    If the store policy is not to issue a receipt, then why would their security ask to see it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Jellybaby1 wrote: »

To be stopped you have to have been seen not paying for the goods - they can't just stop you at random unless they have very clear signs up and then any store that would have such a policy would have a policy of issuing receipts.

Ah yes, I forgot about Big Brother. I suppose we are all on the cameras now. Still, it makes me feel odd without a receipt. Always got them before. I remember years ago probably in the 70's, being told in a shop that the bag was my receipt. Nowadays we may not even get a bag! I will continue to request a receipt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I wish places that do issue receipts had bins closer to the till, would save me having to look around for one after every transaction.

It seems especially stupid to automatically issue a receipt for every contactless card purchase. The whole point of contactless is that it's quick and easy, I don't want to wait for a receipt and then dump it.

All receipt printing should be by request only.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    If the store policy is not to issue a receipt, then why would their security ask to see it?

I wasn't told that it was store policy, but yes, security asking to see a receipt that they don't issue, would seem daft of course but it seems to be that unless absolutely everyone is being recorded by cameras that stores will dispense with security guards? I'm not completely convinced that they won't have security people in the stores. And cameras can break down.

hardCopy wrote: »
    I wish places that do issue receipts had bins closer to the till, would save me having to look around for one after every transaction.

It seems especially stupid to automatically issue a receipt for every contactless card purchase. The whole point of contactless is that it's quick and easy, I don't want to wait for a receipt and then dump it.

All receipt printing should be by request only.

I use CC and/or cash depending on what I am buying. I think a receipt should be issued when cash is used. They usually issue two receipts for CC don't they? I expect they will do away with all cash at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Where I work we ask people do they want receipts. We used to give them out to everyone but were approached by our Local Tidy Towns and a Local Councillor asking could we ask did people want them rather than just giving them out to everyone as a lot of people used to drop on the street near our premises given the lack of bins. However we provide a service and are not a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

eeguy wrote: »
    None really.

Proof of purchase isn't always a receipt. You might have a CC statement showing the name of the shop and the amount paid.

That's a terrible policy for the store, though, surely?

Say I buy a something for €100 on Monday in a shop, and get no receipt because they don't give one.

On Tuesday, my friend steals whatever random €100 item they can easily smuggle out of the shop.

On Wednesday, I return with the stolen item, and a printed CC statement showing my €100 spend on Monday. I then ask for a refund/exchange/credit note for returning the stolen item, on the pretense that it was my Monday purchase for €100.

They can't tell the difference just from my proof or purchase, so if they don't give receipts, they'll struggle to avoid this kind of theft. They are for the retailer's protection as much as the consumer's.

I would be very annoyed by a shop that wouldn't issue receipts, but I can't say I've come across this in Ireland recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

DivingDuck wrote: »
    That's a terrible policy for the store, though, surely?

Say I buy a something for €100 on Monday in a shop, and get no receipt because they don't give one.

On Tuesday, my friend steals whatever random €100 item they can easily smuggle out of the shop.

On Wednesday, I return with the stolen item, and a printed CC statement showing my €100 spend on Monday. I then ask for a refund/exchange/credit note for returning the stolen item, on the pretense that it was my Monday purchase for €100.

They can't tell the difference just from my proof or purchase, so if they don't give receipts, they'll struggle to avoid this kind of theft. They are for the retailer's protection as much as the consumer's.

I would be very annoyed by a shop that wouldn't issue receipts, but I can't say I've come across this in Ireland recently.
    They could return the stolen item with your receipt anyway if they steal the same item, surely?

They could return the stolen item with your receipt anyway if they steal the same item, surely?

Not the same item, any random item. Receipts have item descriptions (partly) for this reason. The person would have to lift the exact same item in the case of a receipt, whereas in the other, anything they could get their hands on would do.

I would guess that owing to size/position in the store, some items are a lot easier to get out of a shop than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not the same item, any random item. Receipts have item descriptions (partly) for this reason. The person would have to lift the exact same item in the case of a receipt, whereas in the other, anything they could get their hands on would do.

I would guess that owing to size/position in the store, some items are a lot easier to get out of a shop than others.

They will be able to find out the auth code etc for the credit card payment and check that against their tills, hence if they put any effort in at all it would have to be the identical item. Which can be done with a normal receipt already.

L1011 wrote: »
    They will be able to find out the auth code etc for the credit card payment and check that against their tills, hence if they put any effort in at all it would have to be the identical item. Which can be done with a normal receipt already.

I doubt a shop that can't even be bothered to set up a very standard and inexpensive receipt system is going to go to that trouble-- and if they did, it would take time on the part of the customer and shop staff that could undoubtedly be used in better ways.

Surely it is easier to just give the customer a small slip of paper which can be easily presented and quickly verified in the event an exchange is required?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I doubt a shop that can't even be bothered to set up a very standard and inexpensive receipt system is going to go to that trouble-- and if they did, it would take time on the part of the customer and shop staff that could undoubtedly be used in better ways.

Surely it is easier to just give the customer a small slip of paper which can be easily presented and quickly verified in the event an exchange is required?

I've a feeling a shop that doesn't do receipts at all, but has a credit card system, and does returns, is a fairly hypothetical shop admittedly!

L1011 wrote: »
    I've a feeling a shop that doesn't do receipts at all, but has a credit card system, and does returns, is a fairly hypothetical shop admittedly!

OP mentioned a department store.

I've yet to encounter one of those that refuses to take cards. (Or give receipts, but I'm taking it at face value.)

• Advertisement

I used CC in the petrol stations, and cash in the department store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If a department store didn't issue receipts I'd be asking for a manager to confirm it.
    Also what happens if the goods are faulty?the receipt is your guarantee.
    Sounds like money is being pocketed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Not issuing customer receipts doesn't mean businesses aren't keeping proper records as required by Revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I suppose if it is a case that a shop has refused on request to give you a receipt you might have a complaint in which it should be reported or even better, hand back the goods, get your money back and then report it.

There is no obligation on shops to issue receipts automatically, if a customer requests it then it should be issued.

Advertisement