Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Liquid yeast

Options
  • 28-10-2015 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭

I've some old (expired at the start of the year) belgian ale yeast.
    Is it pointless me trying to use this? it's been in the fridge since I got it.

I was gonna try pitch it and see if anything happens and top up with ordinary 05 ale yeast the next day if no signs of life.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I've used older than that with no ill effects. Fire it in. At least you have a back-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Hingo

I've used yeast about a year out of date, do a starter in some 1.030 wort, be grand. (unless the starter doesn't kick off :S )

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Eule

Pitch it with some wort (either stuff you froze from last time and reboiled, or made from spray malt) in a demi john with a bubbler seal and see if it's got signs of life (and smells nice). I've resurrected packets that were 5 years old before and a starter is always a good thing anyway, your brew starts much quicker and safer that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I pitched it straight, and as there was not much sign of life 18 hrs later I pitched a year old of date dry 04 english yeast on top of it

One or both of them got going 12 hours later.

The wort was fairly cool pitching so might have helped slow any start.

Advertisement