Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Limerick Superpub?

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Dolans and cobbles have the music market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

People used to eat at home and go out for entertainment.

Now they get their entertainment at home and go out to eat.

This has affected all sorts of businesses like pubs, clubs, snooker halls, cinemas, bowling alleys, arcades etc.

The pub and club culture in this country will never be what it was in the 90's. Alcohol consumption has been in steady decline since 2001.

Any successful new superpub venture is going to have food at the heart of it. The drink and music will always be secondary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I was actually referring to Mon/Tues/Wed which were particularly dead then and moreso now. The student spots picked up on a thursday night and F/S/S were busy but never manic, apart form Munster Rugby wkends, which to be fair were a novelty for a lot of people that was always going to wear off...

I was a student in the late 90s and Tuesday was always a great night out. It wasn't crazy busy but it ticked over nicely and there was just a great, fun atmosphere. Wednesday was decent as well, though obviously Thurs-Sun were the big nights. I loved Tuesday night out when I think back on the best nights of my youth 70%+ were on a Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

bigpink wrote: »
    Dolans and cobbles have the music market

Jerry Flas are supposedly expanding into the old Clancys building next to them to create a new music venue

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Sully777

leakyboots wrote: »
    Jerry Flas are supposedly expanding into the old Clancys building next to them to create a new music venue

Refused Planning permission.....

https://www.limerick.ie/sites/default/files/190615_applications_refused.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

Sully777 wrote: »

Sound issues! Its going back in. I saw the drawings... will be a nice job when completed.

Heard they want to take Dolans on big time

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

bigpink wrote: »
    Heard they want to take Dolans on big time

Cool. It would be great to have a decent venue in the center of town. Dolans is too far out when you're on foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Cool. It would be great to have a decent venue in the center of town. Dolans is too far out when you're on foot.
    Agreed. The competition will be good, but Mick Dolan is very experienced operator. He's also very well connected in music circles, so I'd imagine he'll still be the dominant player locally for a while at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

moby2101 wrote: »
    Ah here, I obviously grew up in a parallel Limerick in a parallel universe!
    Limerick nightlife was buzzing back then.

I take some of your points but also the loss of 2000 direct jobs in Dell and a further 1500 in associated businesses for a city the size of Limerick was a major blow?
    We must be miles apart in age? I'm 42 and well remember having to walk In and out of those pubs I mentioned earlier on any T/F/S/S night and not being able to get standing room ...

The Demographic has utterly changed since Dell Manufacturing went. You had a large amount of late teens/twenty's age group people with money in their pockets. That has gone now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

zulutango wrote: »
    Agreed. The competition will be good, but Mick Dolan is very experienced operator. He's also very well connected in music circles, so I'd imagine he'll still be the dominant player locally for a while at least.

I'd imagine the people who go to Dolans to check out original music, wouldn't be going to House. As in, I doubt, musically, they'll be in competition.

Meant new flannerys venue started a new thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

seachto7 wrote: »
    I'd imagine the people who go to Dolans to check out original music, wouldn't be going to House. As in, I doubt, musically, they'll be in competition.

I was talking about Flannery's plans on Cecil Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Will this new place have a club like the SinBin?

Advertisement