Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundalk night out.

Options
  • 28-10-2015 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

So me and my friend went to Dundalk last weekend to have a night out, were both 19 and when we got there we found out basically all places were over 21s and it was all people in their 30s and 40s even older around the town. One of the bouncers said something about going out on a thursday or something like that? Will we get in anywhere if we go on a Thursday night or will we be rejected again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved to Louth forum from Beers & Wines & Spirits.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 68,804 ✭✭✭✭L1011

General advice:

Go to actual bars, not nightclubs/wannabe nightclub bars. Bars are rarely anything other than 18s, clubs often have older ages.

Dress normally, not skangery *or* a bad attempt at "nice". Someone young wearing jeans, leather shoes and a jumper is not going to get in a nightclub these days, its not 2005 and dresscodes are gone but those who adhere to the old ones are usually problematic.

Go out earlier, don't get hammered, stay in one place. Security get stricter later in the night.

Don't pre-drink to any great extent, its often easier to say "its over 21s tonight" than it is to deal with the reprecussions of telling someone they're pissed.

Wednesdays/Thursdays are student nights anywhere with a college, which Dundalk has, so lots more places let in 18s. Fridays can be quiet / more relaxed than Saturdays and hence easier to get in - but next Friday is payday for lots of people and next weekend in general will be busy everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 abcdefghijkl1

L1011 wrote: »
    General advice:

Dress normally, not skangery *or* a bad attempt at "nice". Someone young wearing jeans, leather shoes and a jumper is not going to get in a nightclub these days, its not 2005 and dresscodes are gone but those who adhere to the old ones are usually problematic.

What should i wear?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,804 ✭✭✭✭L1011

What should i wear?

Normal footwear - not Airmax/Reebok Classics, or dirty runners, or maybe white runners in general; jeans that actually fit you; tshirt, shirt or polo shirt.

The Penneys shoes, slacks, Ben Sherman shirt and jumper look that a lot of younger lads seem to think will get them past any doorman is likely to get you past none these days. Only places that have dresscodes along those lines are permanently over 25s/30s venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

I feel old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Thursday nights are the student nights so yes you'll probably have a higher chance of getting in then. I wouldn't think too much about what you're wearing - dress codes in Dundalk "clubs" (there's only two now, Brubakers and Ridleys) aren't at all strict, unless you're wearing knacker style runners or tracksuit bottoms but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

On this topic, when is Ridley's closing for refurbishment?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

peejay1986 wrote: »
    On this topic, when is Ridley's closing for refurbishment?

Are they not trading whilst keeping her lit? Renovate the garden bit first and then the ridleys bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

MugMugs wrote:
    Are they not trading whilst keeping her lit? Renovate the garden bit first and then the ridleys bit?

Just outta interest ..... what did they knock?? Was it what was once the 'tara'??? But didn't they demolish that in its entirety first time round only a few years ago? Did they really need to raze it to ground again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Bring back the Mineshaft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Just outta interest ..... what did they knock?? Was it what was once the 'tara'??? But didn't they demolish that in its entirety first time round only a few years ago? Did they really need to raze it to ground again?

I genuinely cannot answer that as I am not a patron and haven't been for some time now. Just going on what I hear whilst propping the bar in the less "upbeat" premises of our fair town. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The Garden, formerly the Fane, was knocked.

The Garden, formerly the Fane, was knocked.

No it wasn't the fane ..... the fane is currently still standing.

No it wasn't the fane ..... the fane is currently still standing.

Sorry yes. I'm a building out. Ridleys in in the old Paddy Hands and the Garden was the Tara.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Sorry yes. I'm a building out. Ridleys in in the old Paddy Hands and the Garden was the Tara.

No more mineshaft:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I heard a rumour! that when they gutted the Tara they found a load of yokes in between the old seats and free entry to Tivolis tickets!?........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

What or where was "Tivoli's" ? ;)

:D

What or where was "Tivoli's" ?

The imperial disco. Late 80's early 90's. Later became 'silence'.

What or where was "Tivoli's" ? ;)

:D
    The imperial disco. Late 80's early 90's. Later became 'silence'.

Whoosh.......

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Twas the Arc for a while in my hay-day.

• Advertisement

Twas the Arc for a while in my hay-day.

Yes! The arc ! I totally forgot that though it was my hay day too. The ark and silence .... awful names for a nightclub

• Registered Users Posts: 51,920 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I bet none of yis remember the Afton Club or the Banana Club on the Ramparts.

I bet none of yis remember the Afton Club or the Banana Club on the Ramparts.

I most certainly do; but then again I remember the Oriel Cinema and Adelphi Ballroom and dancing in the Market House.

I most certainly do; but then again I remember the Oriel Cinema and Adelphi Ballroom and dancing in the Market House.

Me too. The Plaza was a bit before me though :pac:

Whoosh.......

The whoosh sir is on you ;)

The whoosh sir is on you ;)

Perfectly fine. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I bet nobody knows where 'The Ploughmans' bar was.........

Did it back on to the Longwalk from McCourts Arcade? If yes,fine establishment it was ;) :pac: There was also a bar called The Ploughmans out around Riverstown if i remember correctly?Could still be there:confused:

McCourts, Long Walk near China Bridge. A dump.

• Advertisement

Were you ever in the Manchester Bar Srameen?

Advertisement