Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundalk night out.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Were you ever in the Manchester Bar Srameen?

I can't place it. What era was it. My drinking days in town ran from early 60s to 80s mostly

• Registered Users Posts: 51,920 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I can't place it. What era was it. My drinking days in town ran from early 60s to 80s mostly

You'd have known it then. Not always referred to by it's official name.
    Georgie Connolly's in Barrack St.

You'd have known it then. Not always referred to by it's official name.
    Georgie Connolly's in Barrack St.

Way the wrong end of town for me. I was in Shevlins Horse shoe bar a few times and the nest but not much else down that end.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

It's like a "I'm older than you" contest in here :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,920 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

MugMugs wrote: »
    It's like a "I'm older than you" contest in here :pac:

Or my dementia is not as bad as yours :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Yes! The arc ! I totally forgot that though it was my hay day too. The ark and silence .... awful names for a nightclub

Sgt Peppers for a bit too, the only difference between them was the crazy coloured wooden guitar shape cut outs stuck on the walls. Was to be a live music job but they only seemed to have some ABBA tribute band on - it was like a residency!!? Was in Tivolis once (with fake ID:o) before it was all changed. You could have played tennis on the dancefloor it was that big and was some change. All up for sale for a mere €1.2mil, crazy that a pokey bar on Bridge St was going for that money a few years ago compared to a hotel and nightclub bang in the centre of town today.

Does anyone know what the Phoenix was like originally? I remember it being closed for years late 80's early 90's I think. Also who owned it and refurbished it?

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Sgt Peppers for a bit too, the only difference between them was the crazy coloured wooden guitar shape cut outs stuck on the walls. Was to be a live music job but they only seemed to have some ABBA tribute band on - it was like a residency!!? Was in Tivolis once (with fake ID:o) before it was all changed. You could have played tennis on the dancefloor it was that big and was some change. All up for sale for a mere €1.2mil, crazy that a pokey bar on Bridge St was going for that money a few years ago compared to a hotel and nightclub bang in the centre of town today.

Does anyone know what the Phoenix was like originally? I remember it being closed for years late 80's early 90's I think. Also who owned it and refurbished it?
    The Phoenix. Empty Kerleys. Rita and her mother behind the bar. 2 customers at most in the place. Small, with fabulous mahogany paneled walls. In the 70s that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 THEBLACKDEVIL

McCourts, Long Walk near China Bridge. A dump.

I remember in the early 80's popping in there at lunchtime for a game of snooker and a pint of Mcardles, thing was, I was wearing my Marist uniform at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

You'd never have got served with a CBS uniform on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

The Phoenix. Empty Kerleys. Rita and her mother behind the bar. 2 customers at most in the place. Small, with fabulous mahogany paneled walls. In the 70s that was.

Was in and they had no beer on tap. Had a coupla pint bottles of harp

I prefer it what it is now ;)

• Advertisement

Was in and they had no beer on tap. Had a coupla pint bottles of harp

I prefer it what it is now ;)

Think that was bad. Courtneys, way back, hardly had chairs or stools. Bottles only and filthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Think that was bad. Courtneys, way back, hardly had chairs or stools. Bottles only and filthy.

GLad to see they've fixed most of that so !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

MugMugs wrote: »
    GLad to see they've fixed most of that so !

Is it that bad? Over a year since i was last in it.

Was in McGeoughs in Roden Place the other night,lovely spot.Have they revamped the inside of it or was my imagination playing tricks on me?Forgot to ask someone when i was there :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

They did up the furtniture in the front. Not a fan. Like the place a lot though

Advertisement