Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why a rental crisis now?

Options
  • 28-10-2015 6:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

People couldnt rent out places 3 years ago

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Simple really. All the BS that went on with " talk to your landlord" spiel that went on . The gov created the sense that rents were too high. Landlords did reduce for the most part.....as in those who could. The rest sold and got out of the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Dunno..

Mod note:
    (Links to graphs detailing long term mortgage default rates by different categories- alongside respective repossession rates)
    Slydice- you put a lot of work into those graphs- there is no need to be coy when linking back to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

We havent built anything in Dublin in the last few years. Yet have no one of the most rapidly increasing population in Europe. Plus the Government is handing out english language student visas like no tomorrow(there is roughly 10-15k students who werent here 3/4 years) with recession in Brazil this will only get worse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

True look at Limerick its like little India now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

bigpink wrote: »
    True look at Limerick its like little India now

Spoke to an estate agent in Limerick yesterday who told me that there has been one housing estate built in the Raheen/Dooradyle area in the last 6 years. ONE!

I looked on daft recently and there were 21 2 bed apts to rent in the entire city.

Govt policy of doing absolutely nothing to solve the urban planning problems in this country has brought us to where we are. Remember this when you vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Google, Facebook, Air BnB etc all added how many jobs in the past 5 years....vast majority to Europeans brought into Dublin. All in need of accomm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Not enough building in areas where people want to live. An Taisce and An Bord Pleanala are the cause of lots of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The economy is improving,
    There,s very little building doing on.
    Builders say they cant make a good profit .
    In the boom some investors bought land at very high prices ,
    maybe they are waiting for house prices to go up.
    There,s very little building going on by the councils .
    1000,s of houses were built by councils in the 60,s and the 70s
    The government have said they intend to build 20 thousand house,s ,
    In the next few years .

• Registered Users Posts: 82,685 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Nothing was built in places where people actually wanted to live, speculators bought and left land in the areas people wanted to live and these people went bust, currently there's not enough profit to build a new house and sell it at an affordable price in these areas. It's all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

It will get a lot worse before it gets better.

Homelessness will become a very serious crisis this winter and into next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

There is plenty of houses outside of Dublin people who are receiving rent allowance can move into but wont.

Loads of working people had to move outside of Dublin where they can afford.

People are too fussy.

A lot of stories I are single mothers with kids receiving rent allowance but wont move outside of Dublin.

You cant be picky when receiving money for free to pay your rent.

Seen a couple today in the media unemployed and receiving 950 a month and are afraid they will become homeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Not enough building in areas where people want to live. An Taisce and An Bord Pleanala are the cause of lots of it.

Think its more the land bank owners not willing to accept loses and sitting on land waiting for the value to go up. Plenty of empty lots around the city empty and fenced up. No sign of any move to build on them. Nothing to do with bord pleanala or an taisce, just someone who can afford to wait at the expense of people looking for places to live. So social good or private property, which is more important to people?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Modern mobile homes are far more luxiourous than most of the places I rented when I first moved to Dublin.

Portakabins on the other hand are virtually death traps or financial black holes in terms of heating and retrofitting.

If I knew then what I knew now I would have bought a site when I first came here and put a decent mobile on it. People who look down on mobiles haven't seen the inside of a modern one.

M

It will get a lot worse before it gets better.

Homelessness will become a very serious crisis this winter and into next year.

What I am confused with is if there's an all out crisis where no houses can be found for the homeless in this entire country how can they invite hundreds of refugees in to the country and find them instant accommodation, do they book through a different agent or use different unmarked cash or how does that fast track process work? Are they black ops houses that they have set aside from the banks that they can use for undercover missions?

CramCycle wrote: »
    Modern mobile homes are far more luxiourous than most of the places I rented when I first moved to Dublin.

Portakabins on the other hand are virtually death traps or financial black holes in terms of heating and retrofitting.

If I knew then what I knew now I would have bought a site when I first came here and put a decent mobile on it. People who look down on mobiles haven't seen the inside of a modern one.
    The modular houses are far from portakabins.

Have you seen them? Their nicer than a 3
    Bedroom house. Very nice.

http://www.thejournal.ie/modular-housing-christmas-dublin-2401473-Oct2015/

What I am confused with is if there's an all out crisis where no houses can be found for the homeless in this entire country how can they invite hundreds of refugees in to the country and find them instant accommodation, do they book through a different agent or use different unmarked cash or how does that fast track process work? Are they black ops houses that they have set aside from the banks that they can use for undercover missions?

There is 1000s of properties available down the country but as I said people wont move out of Dublin.

There is actually a bigger homeless crisis in the UK.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

JustTheOne wrote: »
    The modular houses are far from portakabins.

Have you seen them? Their nicer than a 3
    Bedroom house. Very nice.

http://www.thejournal.ie/modular-housing-christmas-dublin-2401473-Oct2015/

I hadn't, just replying to a poster who said Portakabins. Why are they temporary? Can't see why they wouldn't be permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Some people are too fussy, if you're unemployed you should be greatful for a council home outside Dublin, forgot family ties, think others, think of the tax payers who keep you in Dublin! working people should be protisied,

M

Some people are too fussy, if you're unemployed you should be greatful for a council home outside Dublin, forgot family ties, think others, think of the tax payers who keep you in Dublin! working people should be protisied,

This is exactly where it should be, if your homeless and unemployed and then offered a house anywhere in Ireland and don't accept it you should be put to the back of the list whether you have kids or not, your clearly a freeloader.

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    think about it now, why are we opting for these types of homes and simply not building actual homes?

Money. It doesn't grow on trees as some political parties would have you believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

riclad wrote: »
    The government have said they intend to build 20 thousand house,s ,
    In the next few years .

We need closer to 80,000 units.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Money. It doesn't grow on trees as some political parties would have you believe.

Minister Alan Kelly has stated that modular homes will cost up to €100,000. They aren't exactly cheap.

Meanwhile the Government has allowed NAMA to firesale thousands of residential units across the capital in recent years. These are being snatched up by vulture funds, with many units being purposefully kept off the market. NAMA was supposed to have a social dividend, but because the Government wants to shut it down quicker than planned in an effort to achieve a cheap publicity stunt management are being forced to flog off countless units which could be put to better use.
    For who?

There is rapid population growth forecast for Dublin.

That's what happens when the Government plans the entire economic recovery around the capital. People move there in search of jobs.

For who?

I dont know but I assume that these guys have a fair handle on it

https://www.esri.ie/pubs/RN20140203.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

ger664 wrote: »
    We need closer to 80,000 units.

Yep, ERSI are saying we need 20,000 a year just to keep treading water. In other words that figure doesn't include extra houses being built to cope with the lack of houses built in the past number of years...

It's only going to get worse. We are not building anywhere enough houses.

FrStone wrote: »
    Yep, ERSI are saying we need 20,000 a year just to keep treading water. In other words that figure doesn't include extra houses being built to cope with the lack of houses built in the past number of years...

It's only going to get worse. We are not building anywhere enough houses.
    In fairness there was nothing built between 2007 and 2012.

The planning logistics financing red tape it takes to build houses is only getting sorted now.

Id agree there is too much red tape which
    hampered housing development.

But look what happend when we built loads of houses during the boom?

Do we want to go back down that road?

In fairness there was nothing built between 2007 and 2012.

The planning logistics financing red tape it takes to build houses is only getting sorted now.

Id agree there is too much red tape which
    hampered housing development.

But look what happend when we built loads of houses during the boom?

Do we want to go back down that road?

I agree but NAMA and the Govt/Councils have access to most of the unoccupied stock in the country. However there seems to be no willingness to refurbish and bring them into the market for social housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ger664 wrote: »
    I agree but NAMA and the Govt/Councils have access to most of the unoccupied stock in the country. However there seems to be no willingness to refurbish and bring them into the market for social housing.
    NAMA's job is to sell the houses and get money back. Giving them away doesn't get the money back. And buying from Peter to give money Paul won't help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

People's investments not making them money isn't a problem, people struggling to find somewhere to live is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

People's investments not making them money isn't a problem, people struggling to find somewhere to live is.

However- if government policy is to crucify the selfsame private sector to whom it has outsourced its obligation to house the people of Ireland- something is going to give- and that give- is no new houses are entering the rental market- year on year the gross number of units registered with the PRTB as under lease in Ireland- has fallen for each of the preceding 3 years- as landlords exit the market.

Government policy and regulation- has been scattergun at best- without a coherent tying together of the various strategies.

Advertisement