Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why a rental crisis now?

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Terrlock wrote: »
    Companies should be incentivized to setup outside of Dublin.

Dublin just can't cope with the numbers growing and there isn't much being done to make improvements to the infrastructure.

I for one would love to move out of Dublin if there were any Jobs for me down the country.

I would love to see this happen, however, on the one hand the policital will isn't there to get some of these companies to open offices down the country. But also, you'd be surprised how many companies want the prestige of having an office say for example in Grand Canal - where they are located near the likes of Google and Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dublin just can't cope with the numbers growing and there isn't much being done to make improvements to the infrastructure.

I for one would love to move out of Dublin if there were any Jobs for me down the country.

They already are. The IDA made huge efforts to get firms to set up outside Dublin (and commercial rents are lower, etc) but the firms do not want to.

Big IT firms are pretty much determined to want to be in the Dublin Docklands and are even reticent to go north of the Liffey, for instance.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    There is 1000s of properties available down the country but as I said people wont move out of Dublin.

And if their job is in Dublin? Family support?
    Will you pay for a car for them, as public transport ends at Tallaght/Blanch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

you are in the small minority.

Some state bodies tried a massive Decentralization campaign a few years back. it failed miserably.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

ahh yeah, sure lets just tell Facebook to set up an office outside portlaoise where they'd be lucky to get fibre to the building and theres no staff about.

Tech startups and multinationals continually steal away good staff from each other, thus they like being close by to make the decision easier for people to jump ship (don't have to move house, won't lose touch with friends) . Also there is a huge problem where people in their 20's aren't driving anymore. Theres a whole generation of people who have entered the labour market who's only means of getting around is public transport. Added to a massive desire to live in the city centre, and suddenly you are very limited in where you can set up shop and staff it with the right people.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Whether we like it or not- Dublin is our only city of any scale in the country. In an international context- even Dublin is a minnow. A sizeable and growing number of our workforce are non-nationals- who want to work in Dublin- and wholly aside from where their current employer is based- you couldn't incentivise them to work elsewhere.

Dublin's main issue is urban sprawl- which limits population density and makes it incredibly difficult and expensive to provide facilities and amenities which are considered the norm in a modern city- to the workers of Dublin. However- if you mention highrise- people start having heart attacks- and you get manner of invective, normally mentioning Ballymun- and do we not remember the antisocial hellhole it used be.

Until we get over our psychological problems with high rise- and accept international norms for population densities- its going to be prohibitively expensive and cumbersome to provide services to people in Dublin. And if we can't afford to provide services most international mobile workers consider to be entirely normal, in Dublin- we're certainly not going to be able to do so elsewhere. And if we don't get over this mental block- a considerable number of companies and employees- are going to blacklist us (and indeed- are already doing so).

Ps- I don't work in Dublin- I used do, but I managed to escape- in exchange for foregoing a promotion and a far lower salary than I might otherwise be able to command. Personally- its a price I'm happy to pay- but many aren't.

Advertisement