Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn/Winter cycling hazards

Options
  • 28-10-2015 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

I had my first "bambi on ice" experience this morning except on a stretch full of wet leaves. I was crossing over on to the cycling lane and the bike more or less slid across, was quite scary when clipped in. I wasn't going fast at all as I was mindful of the leaves, perhaps it was a combination of 23mm tyres and being over cautious!

For anyone commuting through Fairview Dublin from Clontarf direction , the cycle lane from westwood gym around to fairview by the road side (not the bit that cuts through the park) is lethal at the moment. Will be avoiding it and sticking to the road until it clears.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Dave_White

Go on road, that's what I do (I commute through there daily)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Wet leaves
    Flooded roads
    Manhole covers
    Road markings

The list is endless!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Wet leaves are a hassle for me too, probably going to get worse before it gets better :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

The rising and setting Sun is a serious danger depending on your direction.

If it is blinding you and drivers of vehicles...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Steel rims + rain/any kind of dampness = theoretical brakes only. Changing wheels this winter, he'll be less pretty but he will stop without the aid of my feet on the ground :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,879 ✭✭✭billyhead

Ice/Hard frost is a complete no no for cycling for me. Came down on black ice a few years ago and broke my hip in 3 places so would never dare cycling if there is a risk of it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,879 ✭✭✭billyhead

The rising and setting Sun is a serious danger depending on your direction.

If it is blinding you and drivers of vehicles...

Does anyone know whatever happened to the cyclist knocked down at Blakes Cross last winter where the low sun was meant to be a factor. Initial reports were that is was a fatal incident but then it transpired the cyclist was critically injured

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

billyhead wrote: »
    ... Came down on black ice a few years ago and broke my hip in 3 places ...
    If I recall correctly, you remounted and continued the ride. Proper badass! :D

billyhead wrote: »
    Does anyone know whatever happened to the cyclist knocked down at Blakes Cross last winter where the low sun was meant to be a factor. Initial reports were that is was a fatal incident but then it transpired the cyclist was critically injured

There were Two cyclists...One died, the other was seriously injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

So basically don't cycle during autumn or winter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Big hazard at the moment is light pollution. Headlights, night-as-day trail specific mtb lights. Flashing lights and hi vis everywhere it can be very distracting and effectively camouflages things that would normally stand out by contrast.

Also learn where not to brake and plan ahead if you're going to roll through leaves or wet surface have your line planned in advance and be aware of what hazards might be approaching.

Jamming on in wet leaves because of a murky ped stepping out is going to end in tears

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

White painted road lines when they are any bit wet at all are fairly lethal, avoid at all costs .+1 on the wet leaves, I saw a girl skid on some wet leaves and ended up under the back wheels of a bus a few years ago. It was pure luck the bus just happened to stop or it would have been horrendous.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

If I recall correctly, you remounted and continued the ride. Proper badass! :D
    one hardy buck if thats true( I hope it is)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I actually haven't found leaves to be a problem on my commute, I do stick to the roads, and avoid on-path cycle lanes, which helps things. Definitely road markings and manhole covers though, absolutely lethal, especially on corners. Not braking mid corner is an important rule to remember.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

High beams from cars are the worst for me, when cycling at night. Can't see a bloody thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Kiith wrote: »
    High beams from cars are the worst for me, when cycling at night. Can't see a bloody thing.

I have always worn orange or yellow lenses at night for this very reason. Flashing my own lights back occasionally penetrates their stupor.

Kiith wrote: »

Wear one of these:

http://www.prendas.co.uk/plain-black-cotton-cycling-cap.html

Use the peak as a "sunvisor"..just tilt your head slightly to block the lights..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

F**king wet leaves finally got me this morning! Be careful with Autumn approaching and this rain... lot of wet leaves about!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Sorry, but this is obligatory this time of year...

winteriscoming.jpg

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

It's July...JULY!

Too soon, too soon.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Yeah but August is not far away. Feels like time to be getting the Santa jersey out.....

hqpy8u_zpssc8jtmbi.jpg

Advertisement