Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

setup mx records for google apps?

Options
  • 28-10-2015 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

hello

i have my domain with blacknight. i have my hosting with someone else.
    my nameservers are setup to point my domain to my hosting, obviously.

i want to setup google apps mail. i have an option to change my mx records using my cpanel hosting. this works fine and google apps mail is up and running.

is there a way to set the mx records in blacknight instead? or would they always have to be setup in my hosting via my cpanel?

thanks

Comments

Are your name servers set to Blacknight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭patricksmyth

hi karsini

the nameservers are pointing to my webhost.

thanks

If the name servers are pointing at your web host you'll need to manage the MX records with your web host. If you wanted to do this on the Blacknight CP, you'll need to change the name servers to Blacknight's. If you do this, make sure you set all of the other records correctly, such as any A records, to prevent disruption to service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭patricksmyth

so once the nameservers point to the hosting, everything needs to be done with the hosting company? even if i want to use google apps mail?

this means that, in theory, if my hosting experiences downtime that my google mail will also suffer?

so once the nameservers point to the hosting, everything needs to be done with the hosting company? even if i want to use google apps mail?

this means that, in theory, if my hosting experiences downtime that my google mail will also suffer?
    Yes, this would cause downtime on the Google apps. But so would a Blacknight outage too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you are using 3rd party DNS servers (ie. you have pointed your domain name to use ns.hostingprovider.tld and ns2.hostingprovider.tld) then whoever is running those would be responsible for pointing the MX records etc., to Google (or any other service)

Just to clarify, however, that DNS and hosting aren't always the same. Our issue yesterday impacted both, but under normal circumstances if a web server was having issues your mail and other services wouldn't be impacted.

Advertisement