Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spelling Mistakes.

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Jamaican Me Crazy

You sure he's not dropping hints that he's breaking up with you, but forgot to add a d to love?

Crazy talk. Men don't drop hints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

feargale wrote: »
    Having said that I wouldn't be averse to a reform of English spelling to make it more phonetic. Webster and the Americans have made a modest attempt at it. Studies have shown the standard of literacy is higher among speakers of phonetic languages.

I used to have to regularly speak on the phone with people in very far flung places around the globe. Inevitably, the language barrier would require spelling out words phonetically (a for alpha, b for beta, c for charlie, etc.). We found a list of standard phonetic equivalents approved by NATO. This worked pretty well. However, some of the attempts we got in reply were all over the shop.

We'd hear our contact say something sounding like the letter T, but then go on to compare it with umbrella, or elephant, or windpipe, generally in that order. The result was that you were none the wiser as to what the original letter was at the end of all these unrelated sounding words being spat out at you.

As an experiment, we stuck together a counter-phonetic phonetic alphabet to see how far you could push the boundaries. I'd like to be able to recall all of them but they were along the lines of:

A for Ayatollah or A for Aisle
    C for Celestial
    D for Django
    E for Eye
    G for Gnu or G for Gnat
    H for Jose
    P for Psoriasis or P for Pharaoh
    S for Sea
    T for Tchaikovsky

I don't think we ever inflicted these on anyone, but we were sorely tempted on a few occasions.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

franer1970 wrote: »
    I gave a report to the office intern to format and proof for me recently (MS Word doc). It came back riddled with spelling mistakes.
    When I asked him why he hadn't used the spell checker he complained that there were too many technical terms and placenames in it, hence going through the whole document was too much trouble.
    Well fair enough so!

Had he added the mistakes or had you made them and not re-read your report, or used spell check yourself? Or was it all a ploy to show him up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Custardpi wrote: »
    If you read through a CV with brilliant experience, qualifications etc but noticed a couple of glaring errors like this towards the end of the document would you still chuck it in the bin or make an exception?

Attention to detail is vital.

Bin it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Using been instead of being.

OH (who is highly intelligent and has fantastic spelling and grammar abilities) does this the whole time.

He might text me 'I love been your BF' (sorry AH) and that's a lovely sentiment in the text but I read it and say to myself 'being' :mad:

I would never correct him.
    Your story would suggest he doesn't. It's quite a glaring grammatical error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Canadel wrote: »
    Your story would suggest he doesn't. It's quite a glaring grammatical error.

Some people just have blind spots like that. He could be perfect at every other aspect of spelling & grammar but for some reason never have picked that up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »
    I am just wondering, what is one of the most common spelling mistakes you encounter and how much does it bother you? I personally, can't stand when people mix up there,their and they're. Anybody else feel like this? Do you feel like correcting it each time you see it?
    Whatever about that what annoys me is this Yankee spelling style tires instead of tyres color instead of colour WTF is that about?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Whatever about that what annoys me is this Yankee spelling style tires instead of tyres color instead of colour WTF is that about?

Simplified English for a simplified people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Wilberto wrote:

On that point, the first Harry Potter book was renamed for American buyers. The publishers thought that Americans might not think "Philosopher" sounds magical enough and get confused with the modern definition of philosopher. So despite the Philosopher's Stone being based on an actual legend, they changed it to Sorcerer's Stone in America.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

For a while now I've been noticing a lot of people writing it "alot" and "awhile".
    Worse than that is the use of "then" instead of "than" (especially Americans, but Irish too).
    Of course there are the old reliables too:
    "There's" instead of "there are" when stating plurals. Most Irish people use this incorrect usage with plurals.
    Speaking of plural's...it should be plurals, unless you're talking about the plural's apostrophe, which is what you put on the end of a plural word to denote possession, not...a plural!

You see it at all levels, from the media to shops...

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/606708/345753.jpg
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/606708/346629.jpg
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/606708/347543.jpg
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/606708/347865.jpg
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/606708/348168.jpg
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/258494/350443.JPG
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/102982/350636.jpg
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/102982/350637.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

These two. *Shudder*

It's one thing simply 'forgetting' to put in an apostrophe, but putting one where there shouldn't be just demonstrates a blatant lack of knowledge.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Donedeal is a great source of spelling errors. "Pie Ball" for piebald and "screwball" for skewbald are fairly common one as is "driveing."

On the subject of horses, one of my pupils with dyslexia (and really severe dyslexia at that) proudly showed me sentences he had done at home. " I lik to ride hores. Dady liks to ride hores.Mamy deosn't lik hores." The effort it cost that child to take on that extra work and the time it took meant I couldn't destroy him by picking up all the spelling issues.

Some people will never be good at spelling, no matter what they do- but the vast majority of people who make common errors could certainly do better.

Another one is "should of" instead of "should HAVE". Arrgh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Mantlepiece

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

You should of being paying attention in school and lerned too spell loosers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

People on Facebook who type "Rest with the angles" when someone has passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

People who say "more then" instead of "more than". Usually intentionally too :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Wilberto wrote: »

it might not necessarily be simplified people , did it never occur to anyone that some people like myself sometimes have difficulty in spelling and i would not class myself as simple , not a bastion of the english langauge but far from simple.
    From reading back through the thread some of the people complaining on here about spelling mistakes seem to have trouble telling the difference between spelling mistakes and bad grammar so they shouldn't be so quick to complain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Ah here now, are you not a strapping Irish buck?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The amount of people who are applying for 'collage' through the CAO this year is mind blowing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

ya dere in my class rooms reading whats wrote on the bord

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Crazy talk. Men don't drop hints.

Not to mention 'I loved been your BF' would still be incorrect! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,545 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Two which I have seen around these parts recently.

Auger (a drill) instead of augur, as in It doesn't augur well.

Gaff (a device for landing fish, or slang for a house) instead of gaffe, a social faux pas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭misstearheus

I came across someone earlier with their job listed as a Wherehouse Manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

I came across someone earlier with their job listed as a Wherehouse Manager.
    Sorry, I meant Whorehouse Manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Two which I have seen around these parts recently.

Auger (a drill) instead of augur, as in It doesn't augur well.

Gaff (a device for landing fish, or slang for a house) instead of gaffe, a social faux pas.

gaff
    "gaff" is an irish slang word for "house", its also used across Scotland and parts of England and Wales
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gaff

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    People who say "more then" instead of "more than". Usually intentionally too :(
    That one drives me potty TBH. Dunno why as I'd not be a pedant about such things, but yep Than/Then drives me up the wall. Worse, it seems to be a mistake made by otherwise intelligent types.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    Oh god you didn't…. *facepalm*

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,494 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That_Guy wrote: »
    The amount of people who are applying for 'collage' through the CAO this year is mind blowing.
    Oh dear ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭PandaX9

Any time I see "loose" in the place of "lose" I tend to proceed reading whatever follows with a bit of caution.

Should of/could of/would of - I was taught that the proper form is "should have" etc back in third class when I was 9! How is it that people are still making this mistake?

"Thought" as a substitute for taught is another one.

"I've been threw so much" also.

Clearly, misplaced homonyms really irk me. How other people are able to ignore them is beyond me :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Spelling mistakes like lenght and strenght

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Figbiscuithead

"There's" instead of "there are" when stating plurals. Most Irish people use this incorrect usage with plurals.

You can use "there's" when the things are grouped together with commas and the conjunction "and".

"There's a dog and cat in the room" is correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,523 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

People who deliberately spell words incorrectly annoy the hell out of me.

Lyk dis if u agree.

GET IN THE SEA.

You can use "there's" when the things are grouped together with commas and the conjunction "and".

"There's a dog and cat in the room" is correct.

But dog and cat are both singular in this example. There's a dog and a cat. You still can't say "There's 3 dogs and 4 cats in the room".

I don't get what you mean about grouped together with commas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Figbiscuithead

But dog and cat are both singular in this example. There's a dog and a cat. You still can't say "There's 3 dogs and 4 cats in the room".

I don't get what you mean about grouped together with commas.

Not arguing your original point but there's this exception.

"There's a dog, 3 cats and a parrot in the room" is correct going on the grammar book I have. The commas group them together as a list, so you can change the verb according to the first item; even though you're referring to more than one (plural), you can use "there's" if the first item is singular.

But yes, to say, "There's 20 men in the room" is incorrect, though people say it in spoken English.

Not arguing your original point but there's this exception.

"There's a dog, 3 cats and a parrot in the room" is correct going on the grammar book I have. The commas group them together as a list, so you can change the verb according to the first item; even though you're referring to more than one (plural), you can use "there's" if the first item is singular.

But yes, to say, "There's 20 men in the room" is incorrect, though people say it in spoken English.

Ah yes, now I get what you meant. Yes, the "there..." is dependent on the first item (s).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh god you didn't…. *facepalm*

I do actually complain about spelling mistakes in German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭RupertsHabit

'Would of' is pretty annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

biko wrote: »
    A co-worker of mine keeps mixing up "ensure" and "insure". It's merely a minor annoyance.

Shockingly commonplace though. I see similar mix-ups every day with emigration/immigration and effected/affected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,545 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Another one I have noticed round these parts. Peddle instead of pedal.

Someone claiming that a politician is back peddling, meaning they have changed their minds.

Advertisement