Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 3.2% 3 Yr Fixed a decent rate?

• 28-10-2015 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

Looking for some advice on fixing a mortgage rate. We are about to sign up for a first time buyer mortgage with Ulster Bank. The best rate appears to be a 3 year fixed rate of 3.2%. However, I'm a little reluctant to sign up for 3 years when rates are dropping.
    For people familiar with this area, does 3.2% sound like a good deal or are we best to stick with a higher variable rate on the assumption it will drop lower than 3.2 over the 3 years?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

IMO SVRs will not come anywhere near 3.2% over the next few years.

I'd fix in your case. You should have the option to move to a SVR after 3 years if I am wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I'm no expert on economics, but when I bought my house in 2003 I got an introductory rate of 3.0%. I wouldn't have had a massive understanding of rate rises/falls back then, but realistically it's rock bottom in terms of mortgages and the economy was flying. At the height of the boom (2006/2007)when rates were rising every couple of months (SVR/tracker), my rate was up around 6.0%

The economy is probably in better shape now than it was in 2008/2009. People are starting to spend money again. Rates mightn't rise again for a while, but i can't see them dropping any further.

I think 3.2% fixed for 3 years is a good deal. You can change to SVR in 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lilywhite9

Thanks for the replies, good to get some advice that's not coming from a bank. Will go with the 3.2 so. Hard to believe they were almost double that during the boom!

Advertisement