Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social welfare over the christmas

• 28-10-2015 9:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46

Hi guys I'm in UCD doing gem and I was wondering about applying for the social welfare for the Christmas. I get something like 5 weeks off for the break and that money would be such a help for the second semester. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MagicMikeee

SwiftEagle wrote: »
    Hi guys I'm in UCD doing gem and I was wondering about applying for the social welfare for the Christmas. I get something like 5 weeks off for the break and that money would be such a help for the second semester. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!!

Is this a joke? LOL only job seekers are entitled to social welfare payments unless you have some sort of disability/ illness otherwise every student would be on social welfare during Xmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 SwiftEagle

I still think that I can apply, some guys in the years previous were able to claim something.

SwiftEagle wrote: »
    I still think that I can apply, some guys in the years previous were able to claim something.

On what grounds?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

The "some guys" were prob mature students or on BETA or some such.

OP you won't be entitled to anything if you're just a student on xmas holidays. You can of course apply but it'd be a waste of time and most likely probably won't hear anything back from them until after you start your next term anyway. Best of luck

Yawns wrote: »
    The "some guys" were prob mature students or on BETA or some such.

OP you won't be entitled to anything if you're just a student on xmas holidays. You can of course apply but it'd be a waste of time and most likely probably won't hear anything back from them until after you start your next term anyway. Best of luck

Yeah and also no GEM student qualifies for BTEA because they have a previous level 8 degree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

I'm UCD GEM, over 26. I got dole last Christmas and for the few weeks I was unemployed over the summer. We're treated as mature students if you're over 26 so you're entitled to it when you're not in college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 SwiftEagle

Hi Flange/Flanders, how did you go about it. Is there a letter from UCD you need? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Letter from UCD saying when you'd finished your exam and confirming that you were a GEM student (think I got that through the Health Sciences office), proof of address and then the application form for the social welfare office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

This seems to be dependent on which dole office you attend. I tried last Xmas and was very firmly denied despite appealing. I was abke to clain the summer without a problem in the same office. Otherpeople have reported being able to claim at Xmas. I saw the regulations, they explicitly say "summer only" and absolutrly not allowed at Xmas/Easter. so I don't know how some people got away with it.

Advertisement