Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gaming Gentlemen

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Of course the fear is that 6 hours per week quickly turns into 20 or 30. Some games are incredibly addictive and you can't help but get absorbed into them. I dabbled with WOW a few years back. I spent an entire summer grinding away. When I met up with my friends on a rare night out I noticed that I was pale as a ghost in the photos. They had suntans! That's when the penny dropped. I had wasted a summer.

I'd have no interest in the likes of WOW or multiplayer in general. Give me a decent single player game with a coherent story that's around 15-20 hours long with good gameplay mechanics and cutscenes that don't last a half hour long.

I'm not asking much… :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Are any of your ladies gamers, lads, past or present?

I tried to involve herself but she didn't really have an interest.

Then one weekend I was playing Sims 3 and she kept looking over my shoulder, asking what was happening now etc.
    After bugging me for a shot all day I finally let her play my character. What's the worse that could happen, right?

I showed her the basics then headed off to the toilet.
    5 minutes later I heard frantic shouting and ran out to find my Sim dead. Killed whilst trying to repair a TV.

Never again.

blue note wrote: »
    I used to love computer games growing up, but PS2 was the last console I actually had any interest in playing. I actually installed Championship manager 97/98 on my laptop about a year ago and played a few seasons with Aston Villa, but it's just an interest that has left me.

The PS2 completely bypassed me and besides dabbling a bit with the Wii and a PSP over the last couple of years I hadn't much contact with gaming. I won a Vita about 2 and a half years ago and then picked up a PS3 for peanuts at the beginning of last year and I've had a blast getting back into and playing the best of the games from last generation with costs next to nothing to pick up digitally in the PS Store sales. I'll probably pick up a PS4 in a year or two but I'll be honest, I'm in no rush. I still have plenty of games to play for the PS3 as it is and there's still not a huge amount out that is off interest to me two years into this generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭The_Bot

Mine likes playing games on her iPhone, including one where your character is a chef!

Regarding the next gen consoles, I'd personally wait another year or so, to let a better catalogue of games build up. Right now we don't actually have a huge one. I do have a PS4, but it does annoy me when I'm looking to buy a new game and there's nothing interesting for me.

Hence my eagerly awaiting Fallout 4.

Got them into Ingress but also only help with big operations. The extra cars really help though.

One did go through a serious phase of Angry Birds but gave it up in frustration. They did borrow an XBox off someone for a couple months once recently enough and played mostly those recent Batman games.

As for past - no none of them were into it and one of them even used to refer to Age of Empires as the "Build a man game" - because she liked the way the Town Centre Object could be set to build and produce another one of those little blue pants wearing men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

My playstation was known as 'the netflix machine' until I got a smart TV and now it's just known as "that thing that gathers dust and takes up space on the shelf"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I used to game a lot but it has really fallen off within the last few years, I really feel it can be a serious waste of time.

If I think of all the hours that I could have put into something that would actually benefit me it really annoys me.

Time and other commitments to give just one reason.

I don't get this "waste of time" view people have with it. It's an opinion that seems to be solely aimed at video games. I mean, why bother with any sort of recreational pastime when you could read Dostoevsky instead. I'm read a tome about Robert Fisk's time in the middle east yet I have no intention of going there to report on events. Is that a waste of time?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

I don't get this "waste of time" view people have with it. It's an opinion that seems to be solely aimed at video games. I mean, why bother with any sort of recreational pastime when you could read Dostoevsky instead. I'm read a tome about Robert Fisk's time in the middle east yet I have no intention of going there to report on events. Is that a waste of time?
    I wouldn't see it as just gaming, but hey thats what the discussion is about. Sitting at home relaxing binge watching Netflix would be similar in my view, nothing is really gained that will benefit you long term.

Imagine you took all the hours spent gaming and put those into health/career/relationships/etc... I think the majority would be much better off, I know I would. As I get older I now see it as a massive time sink with zero real life benefits.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I wouldn't see it as just gaming, but hey thats what the discussion is about. Sitting at home relaxing binge watching Netflix would be similar in my view, nothing is really gained that will benefit you long term..

Fair enough. Various studies have shown that it enhances spatial awareness, dexterity and general attention to detail.
    Imagine you took all the hours spent gaming and put those into health/career/relationships/etc... I think the majority would be much better off, I know I would. As I get older I now see it as a massive time sink with zero real life benefits.

Different strokes for different folks. Most of the people I know around here are mainly interested in drinking themselves destitute which isn't for me. I subscribe to the old adage that time enjoyed is never wasted. We're all heading for the same place anyway.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 vinegar_zombie

I wouldn't see it as just gaming, but hey thats what the discussion is about. Sitting at home relaxing binge watching Netflix would be similar in my view, nothing is really gained that will benefit you long term.

I would say that you guys are talking about different levels of commitment. There nothing wrong in play a game now and then, but if you build your schedule around your gaming habit it becomes a waste of time. I like to play games, but I wouldn't do what I used to , like skip school to stay home and play from morning until next morning ,while drinking energy drinks to keep me going.

I would say that you guys are talking about different levels of commitment. There nothing wrong in play a game now and then, but if you build your schedule around your gaming habit it becomes a waste of time. I like to play games, but I wouldn't do what I used to , like skip school to stay home and play from morning until next morning ,while drinking energy drinks to keep me going.

Depends on the individual. I think I'd get bored with just one hobby. I gave weightlifting a go at one stage but I didn't stick with it. It just did not hold my interest. I even tried hiring a personal trainer but he seemed more concerned with selling me powders than anything else. I'm fairly introverted so I tend to spend virtually all of my spare time alone but I do try and engage in a variety of pastimes including all day hikes on the south downs, the cinema, doing a course on Khan Academy, reading and generally lounging around coffee shops.

Depends on the individual. I think I'd get bored with just one hobby. I gave weightlifting a go at one stage but I didn't stick with it. It just did not hold my interest. I even tried hiring a personal trainer but he seemed more concerned with selling me powders than anything else. I'm fairly introverted so I tend to spend virtually all of my spare time alone but I do try and engage in a variety of pastimes including all day hikes on the south downs, the cinema, doing a course on Khan Academy, reading and generally lounging around coffee shops.

I think in my case weight lifting was fun, partially because of is the research involved. Figuring out different routines and supplements to maximize the effort. Similar to my Linux hobby I find the planning very fun. Same here I am a heavy on introvert side, and lifting allows me to have my workout without necessity of talking to other gym goers. of course we all have our 'thing' and I'm not saying that what did work for me would necessarily work for somebody else

I've always been big into solo activities too, because I found it was great time for thinking. It led me to doing tonnes of cardio sports, from cycling to swimming to running. Guess this is why video games work for me and why I appreciate single player games more.. because it's an activity just for me that I can just get lost in.

I've always been big into solo activities too, because I found it was great time for thinking. It led me to doing tonnes of cardio sports, from cycling to swimming to running. Guess this is why video games work for me and why I appreciate single player games more.. because it's an activity just for me that I can just get lost in.

This. Games like Final Fantasy, chrono trigger ,mass effect are so rich that you can get lost in the universe. You really care about the people around you and you want to help them . That kind of immersion is only possible in single player games. There is way too many kids and trolls online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭elysium321

This. Games like Final Fantasy, chrono trigger ,mass effect are so rich that you can get lost in the universe. You really care about the people around you and you want to help them . That kind of immersion is only possible in single player games. There is way too many kids and trolls online

Totally agree. I spent tens of hours playing the Mass Effect Trilogy just before summer. Finished it and guess what... Started to play it all over again with a different character.
    I've been a gamer since the times of Golden Axe (if anyone can remember that) and Dune 2. I only do a couple of hours a week these days as I don't have time for it. Good way to relax though.

elysium321 wrote: »
    Totally agree. I spent tens of hours playing the Mass Effect Trilogy just before summer. Finished it and guess what... Started to play it all over again with a different character.
    I've been a gamer since the times of Golden Axe (if anyone can remember that) and Dune 2. I only do a couple of hours a week these days as I don't have time for it. Good way to relax though.

Its amazing how the entire love interest although not that big part of the game is still very interesting. Also the characters are just so great ! That feeling of continuity when you finish the game is just brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

elysium321 wrote: »

OMG, the holy grail of games...

Big gamer myself, just can't stand games on mobile/tablets.

I'm in my late thirties with a steady job, a happy marriage and 2 kids and the hours of the evening that I might be gaming (between 11pm and 1am) are not times I'm going to be working out or thinking about fitness. Gaming is not an all encompassing lifestyle choice for most people, it's a hobby they might spend a couple of hours on every week to relax or unwind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Wizard!

I was a big gamer, mainly reason I have a powerful pc. Mostly online FPS, but also RTS and Simulations. However, the last 2 years, I play much less, since we have a son, and I am trying to spend most of my time with him. So, I get to play mostly when he sleeps.

I hope soon enough, he will be able to play FPS too, so we can play together :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

That would be a good thing IMO. They're essentially profiteering from other people's work while keeping 100% of the revenue.
    Actually, they're not. This is what a free market is for.

Digital distribution is the way forward.
    Someday it will be but not yet. The infrastructure really isn't there for total (or even mass) migration to digital only platforms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

I play a bit when I can. I'm quite picky about what games I play though. I won't play any old crap, usually because I might only get a few hours a week if I'm lucky, so I don't want to waste it playing a game I don't like.

I'm not into multiplayer stuff. I stopped buying Call of Duty games because they basically started making multiplayer games with tacked a crappy 3 hour story single player game tacked onto it. Loved The Last of Us, the first two Uncharted games were unreal. I find myself gravitating to older games though, PS1 and PS2 era games. I'm currently playing through Resident Evil 4 again, recently played through Metal Gear Solid 1. I'm thinking of getting my hands on some of the classic PS1 games and replaying them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Stranger Danger

One of the interesting things I've noticed as an early-40's gamer is how frighteningly good my 6-year old is.
    We've just finished LBP3 together and there were some levels where he basically saved our bacon. I'm looking at him thinking how much better than me he's going to be in 5years - because let's face it., I'm only going to get worse and he's getting better all the time.
    He sometimes wistfully tells me how he can't wait until he 18 so he can play Tomb Raider or Last of Us with me. I'm thinking how he won't want me near a controller at that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

One of the interesting things I've noticed as an early-40's gamer is how frighteningly good my 6-year old is.
    We've just finished LBP3 together and there were some levels where he basically saved our bacon. I'm looking at him thinking how much better than me he's going to be in 5years - because let's face it., I'm only going to get worse and he's getting better all the time.
    He sometimes wistfully tells me how he can't wait until he 18 so he can play Tomb Raider or Last of Us with me. I'm thinking how he won't want me near a controller at that stage.

Back in the early days it was all about button mashing. A and B. Again and again.

Street fighter came along and gave us UP, DOWN, A, B, LEFT, RIGHT. Timing was everything.

Nowadays each move needs a bit of thought. Lightning reflexes are still important, but so is planning and thinking 5 steps ahead.

Keep your 6 year old away from Resident Evil for a while! I'm still emotionally scarred from that game.

Back in the early days it was all about button mashing. A and B. Again and again.

Street fighter came along and gave us UP, DOWN, A, B, LEFT, RIGHT. Timing was everything.

Nowadays each move needs a bit of thought. Lightning reflexes are still important, but so is planning and thinking 5 steps ahead.

Keep your 6 year old away from Resident Evil for a while! I'm still emotionally scarred from that game.

I think nowadays games are more about telling a story than they used to. Games from my childhood like pacman or testis , were a perfect analogy of life. It gets gradually harder and then you die. You probably never get the perfect score ,but all you can do is your best

I bought Resident Evil when I was.. 12. I remember it was a 15s game and really wanted it, but was quite obviously too young, so my cousin bought it for me.

Absolutely scared the bejesus out of me, but felt great afterwards. There's something so great and exhilarating about a good jumpscare. But recent games like Outlast can fuck right off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Yes, big gamer and I think I always will be as long as life allows. I play probably two hours per night, more if the game really captures me (for example The Witcher 3). I don't yet have the responsibility of kids though, so I can easily find time to sit down with a bottle of wine and tip away at a game for a few hours on a Friday night.

I find its a great way to relax and I do love online gaming at times, especially the slower paced Battlefield games (in comparison to the run and gun of Call of Duty for instance).

However, I wouldn't blame any gamer who has now become lost with the industry. Whilst there is some brilliant elements such as EA Access, Games with Gold (or its equivalent on PlayStation), Steam sales, groundbreaking graphics and some really brilliant atmospheric games - the industry on the whole is quickly becoming so corrupted by DLC and Day 1 bugs. Of course it is totally up to the consumer, but when you buy a game and realise the rest is locked away behind a pay wall - its very easy to become frustrated.

I did find value in certain games, again The Witcher 3 (which will be the first game I will ever buy DLC for) so there is developers out there willing to give the consumer what they want.

I do hope when I finally have children we can share gaming experiences.

I bought Resident Evil when I was.. 12. I remember it was a 15s game and really wanted it, but was quite obviously too young, so my cousin bought it for me.

Absolutely scared the bejesus out of me, but felt great afterwards. There's something so great and exhilarating about a good jumpscare. But recent games like Outlast can fuck right off.

Ha I remember playing Silent hill the room in my mid teens. First hour not I can do this ! 15 minutes later. Turn off, uninstall, clean the savedata , clear the registry, Remove cd. Put in a plastic bag, put in a box, lock with padlock, put into backpack , take out the bicycle , go to the hardware store , purchase a shovel, drove to the local park. Dig a hole next to statue of the pope john paul II. put the box in the ground. cover with dirt. 3 Hail Marys , to negate the demons . take my shovel, go home. Check if all the doors are locked for the next few weeks. Overall I remember the entire experience as quite present.

Corvo wrote: »
    However, I wouldn't blame any gamer who has now become lost with the industry. Whilst there is some brilliant elements such as EA Access, Games with Gold (or its equivalent on PlayStation), Steam sales, groundbreaking graphics and some really brilliant atmospheric games - the industry on the whole is quickly becoming so corrupted by DLC and Day 1 bugs. Of course it is totally up to the consumer, but when you buy a game and realise the rest is locked away behind a pay wall - its very easy to become frustrated.

Like you say, it's up to the consumer. I haven't yet paid full price for any game or DLC I've bought and I won't either. I have plenty of games waiting to be played so I'm never tempted to shell out €70 on a game that potentially has game-breaking bugs in it on the day it's released. I'll usually buy them 6 months to a year after the come out when any bugs have been patched and the game of the year editions are out with all the dlc with them and I always keep an eye out on the PS Store for sales of games and DLC I might be interested in. I just picked up the Templar Legacy Edition of Assassin's Creed for €11.70 which has all the DLC included and at that price if it's crap, I won't feel like I've been cheated out of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I've always been quite a selective gamer - some genres I like, others I just can't stand. These days, more often than not I just react with "meh" to games most people gush about: I find the various war games (BF, CoD) insufferable, I really only like the driving parts of the GTA franchise (although the humor is ok in the latest one), the Elder Scrolls is the only fantasy series I can actually stand, I never quite got what's the hype with Tomb Raider and the likes.

During my school/teenage days, I would play quite a lot of Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix series, UFO: Enemy Unknown, Doom II, Civilization, occasionally some sports management game (Championship Manager style - although not CM specifically). To this day, Monkey Island 1 and 2 still are THE adventure games to me. The first Deus Ex I still remember as the single best game I played.

Before the "age of MAME", during the summer I would also go to the arcade and play some of the golden age beat'em ups - Street Figther II, Final fight, Fatal Fury.

Today I don't play quite as much - and to be honest, for no other reason that there aren't many games that interest me. I only recently finished Deux Ex: Human Revolution (I started playing it two years ago), I do have GTA V but I'm nowhere near completing it. I enjoy a bit of X-COM but I seem to go in "bursts": for a week or so I play every day, then forget about it for a month. I generally prefer single player over multiplayer because it allows you to play as you want - playing online in most cases becomes a matter of taking a "cookie cutter" approach that proves to trump every other style. Also, trolls and stupid children (I should say stupid parents letting 7 years olds play online) aside, most online games nowadays are a matter of grinding gear and paying real money, time spent over skills. I do like World of Warships for its relative simplicity, although I haven't played in a long while now.

Finally, I find mobile games dreadful - the Google app store is full to the brim of improbable, shoddy muck whose only reason to exist is to encourage microtransactions; If you ask me, it's contributing in a decisive manner to the decline in quality of what people think as a "game".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Wizard!

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    ...Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix...
    One of the best F1 Sims ever made!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Wizard! wrote: »
    One of the best F1 Sims ever made!

Tell me about it - I still deem those games, with all their limitations, to be more enjoyable than the various Codemasters releases. Just the perfect balance between realism and accessibility...and more atmospheric too. Also the AI in GP4 was phenomenal for the time and largely still unmatched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I play as much as I can though I will ditch it to do stuff in real life if it is an option, most of the time.

Open World is what I like, just go for a wander around now and again exploring or doing nothing as a nice contrast to the madness that ensues from doing main or side stuff.
    Plus if you like the world enough you can just lose so much time messing around seeing what you can and can't achieve in them. Can I make that jump or get to that mountain etc.

When I'm not playing them myself I like to watch others play or read about game lore or what it took to make a game.
    The whole industry interests me on top of the games themselves interesting me.

A book, movie or song will always be the same but you can play a game and make it different each time, in most cases.

Advertisement