Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade my old system

Options
  • 28-10-2015 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭

I think the time has come for me to upgrade my machine here is what I currently have:
    Motherboard: ASUS M2N-E-SLI
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64x2 6000 3.0 GHz
    Graphics: AMD ATI 6670
    RAM: 4GB of some ddr2
    Storage: 128GB ssd
    Storage: 1TB Harddisk
    PSU: OCZ 500w
    DVD RW with Lightscribe :cool: hehe
    Basic Antec Case

So looking to upgrade for as little as possible, machine has served me well and I can still play most games I want with no issues with graphics turned down, which I don't mind. Recently I am occasionally getting trouble with sound on it, which is part of reason for upgrade.

Some of the games I play: Minecraft, Space Engineers, Kerbal Space Program, Dwarf Fortress (really stresses the graphics card :pac:), Total War, Rust. So some of these do cause problems, KSP can stutter at times especially with mods, Rust isn't really playable, was able to play old version but on new even with graphics all turned down in combat it struggles, now I've read main issue here is RAM, I'd friend with decent rig but it was going slow due to only 6gb of RAM. Would like to be able to play Total War Warhammer next year even if on turned down crappy graphics

So looking to do some upgrading, I know the graphics card isn't great but I think my best course of action is to upgrade the CPU, although I am a bit confused here, is kinda off topic but maybe someone can explain, my CPU a good few years old (8 ish) and is 3.0 Ghz dual core a modern lowish end CPU 4160 say is dual core 3.5 Ghz which to me isn't a massive increase and yet if I look on CPU Benchmark the scores are 1,615 and 5,041 which is a massive difference. I have wondered as times gone by why Ghz hasn't been increasing as much as I thought it would, but obviously the improvement has taken place elsewhere, can anyone explain this.

Anyway sidetrack over my plan is to buy a low end 1150 socket CPU and motherboard along with some ddr3 ram, and keep the rest of system, (GPU, PSU, Optical, Case), then down the line at some stage next year upgrade Graphics Card (something like a 750Ti), and then also CPU in more distant future. Had considered getting a 1155 based system for possibly bit cheaper but thinking by getting 1150, in few years I can get a high spec 1150 CPU for not too much hopefully.

So looking at getting a 4160 probably unless find deal on something else similar (G3258 Pentium was on sale on eBuyer for £40 except they won't ship to Ireland or Parcel motel, :mad:)

Motherboard next, have been looking at various one on geizhals and am confused back when I bough my last one there was nice distinct differences between models but now there is a plethora of versions even of the same chipset has me very confused. So my question here is what features should I be paying more for. In my mind I want 1 PCIx16 and 1 x1 for wifi card, decent selection of USB and other ports but I'm confused by selection, is there any features that people here would say that is worth paying for, now I am looking at lower end of spectrum but what is difference between €40 and $60 board. Probably get a micro as would like to fit it all in smaller case some time in future.

I've filled out question below, but really just looking to confirm that my plan to get Motherboard, CPU, RAM now, GPU some time next year and higher spec CPU in few years is best course of action.

1. What is your budget?
    [€200 ish]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Internet/General Usage]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? List above

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    [20 inch 1680x1050] [Yes but not for a while probably just to 1080 maybe 1440]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [No]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes willing but can't really see me doing much, maybe if I had of picked up that cheap g3258]

8. How can you pay? [Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [before christmas all going well]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Yep, plan looks, that CPU is your bottleneck, definitely.
    Yeah, CPU's the last few years have kinda hit a wall, GHz-wise, and latest generation CPU's are only giving
    smallish improvements over previous ones.

I'm sure DigitalSolitude will come along and give a PC spec too, but with your budget you could
    get something like this from Amazon (with Free Delivery) for €228;
    Asus H81M-Plus
    Intel i3 4150 CPU
    8GB DDR3 Ram

A bit over-budget but would be a great improvement on your current setup.

As regards your question on what to spend money on... I'd say CPU definitely,
    it's the core of your system after all. :)
    The motherboard listed is Micro ATX and has modern stuff like USB 3 etc
    & easily upgradable in the future to i5/Xeon/i7 if you wanted to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That CPU is a titanic bottleneck, your first upgrade should be as above. A modern i3 will run rings around that old 6000+. Your issue isn't ram, it's the processor is just too old and cannot cope with new games.

Ghz doesn't mean anything anymore; a 1.7Ghz i3 would still wallop that 3Ghz 6000+ easily.

If money is tight a G3220/G3240/G3258/etc are €60-70 and are still a massive upgrade and you can switch to an i3 down the line.

The 6670 is a very weak card also but it will get you by for now in those games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Might not be any use.but..

Seen an bundle.. i3 4310 msi81m and 4gigs of ram on adverts for 140. Probably some room for negotiation as it has no offers on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Yeah I hadn't really realised the CPU would be such a bottleneck until I looked up the CPU benchmarks, I kinda assumed GHz was basically the measure of how good a CPU was, ah well we live and learn.

The 200 isn't even necessarily rigid, I'd prefer to spend a bit more now and get a solid motherboard which will last, and then have option of CPU upgrade in future. In terms of brand I'm thinking MSI or ASUS, what are the other good quality boards out there even if low spec models, ASRock?, Gigabyte ?

I know 6670 isn't great card and plan upgrading in future, maybe in time for TW Warhammer.

Edit: just saw sterlings reply and thought on this from others, looks good to me. Msi h81m-e33, I3 4130, 4g ram for 140.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

cruizer101 wrote: »
    am a bit confused here, is kinda off topic but maybe someone can explain, my CPU a good few years old (8 ish) and is 3.0 Ghz dual core a modern lowish end CPU 4160 say is dual core 3.5 Ghz which to me isn't a massive increase and yet if I look on CPU Benchmark the scores are 1,615 and 5,041 which is a massive difference. I have wondered as times gone by why Ghz hasn't been increasing as much as I thought it would, but obviously the improvement has taken place elsewhere, can anyone explain this.

Speeds may have stagnated but the components have shrunk. Your CPU is 90nm, the 4160 is 22nm - they can fit more transistors onto the same sized die and the current also has less distance to travel between transistor hence performance bumps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement