Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1Kw PV Panel Array in KWh/m2/year - Any HELP

• 28-10-2015 11:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭

Hi all,

Finding this a bit confusing regarding the PV panels and how much in KWh/m2/year they produce. Could anyone just help me with how it's worked out.

Say I had a 1Kw PV Panel Array on a roof. What does this produce in typical KWh/year for any given house in Ireland? I know you would divide the total KWh/year by the square area of the house in m2 to get the KWh/m2/year figure.

Many thanks all

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

System Design Part L

• Apendix M of DEAP Manual;

The electricity produced by the PV module in kWh/year is

0.80 x kWp x S x ZPV where S is the annual solar radiation from Table H2 (depending
    on orientation and pitch), and ZPV is the overshading factor from Table H3.

• Take a system with three off 250W panels. Total panels = 750W or 0.75Kwp
    • Lets assume house has pitch 30 degrees and roof facing SE.
    • Assume shading from Table H3 is “none or very little”. Zpv = 1
    • Output is
    • 0.8 x 0.75Kwp X 1021 X 1 = 612.6KwHrs/Yr.

http://static.constructionpv.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/ConstructionPV-solar-CPD-presentation.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭delfagio

Thanks for that Sydthebeat,

Appreciate the reply. That document helped out quite a lot with understanding it a bit better.

So from looking at that, would I be right in saying the following:

Say a house is 200m2 area.

Thermal renewable energy would need 2000kwh/year.

Say Thermal Solar Panel achieved 500kwh then this would be 25% of the required renewable energy required. So if adding PV Panel's to be combined, the PV would need to make up the remaining 75% of renewable energy. This would mean, 200m2 x 4kwh/m2/year x 75% = 600kwh required to make up in PV Panels.

So approximately 3 PV panels with max 250W power output would cover the difference.

Is this correct??

So am I right in saying if Thermal Renewable energy requires 10kwh/m2/year and Electric Renewable energy requires 4kwh/m2/year, that basically PV Electric Renewable Energy is 2.5 Times better than Thermal Solar such as tubes or flat plates for hot water etc.

Many thanks

delfagio wrote: »
    Thanks for that Sydthebeat,

Appreciate the reply. That document helped out quite a lot with understanding it a bit better.

So from looking at that, would I be right in saying the following:

Say a house is 200m2 area.

Thermal renewable energy would need 2000kwh/year.

1. Say Thermal Solar Panel achieved 500kwh then this would be 25% of the required renewable energy required. So if adding PV Panel's to be combined, the PV would need to make up the remaining 75% of renewable energy. This would mean, 200m2 x 4kwh/m2/year x 75% = 600kwh required to make up in PV Panels.

So approximately 3 PV panels with max 250W power output would cover the difference.

Is this correct??

So am I right in saying if Thermal Renewable energy requires 10kwh/m2/year and Electric Renewable energy requires 4kwh/m2/year, that basically PV Electric Renewable Energy is 2.5 Times better than Thermal Solar such as tubes or flat plates for hot water etc.

Many thanks

yeah its a weird one...

if your using a mixture of thermal and pv to meet the renewable requirement then the 'electric' renewables counts for 2.5 times what the thermal does.

for example i did an assessment a while back that had a heat pump, wood stove and pv cells (as the HP and stove didnt get it 'over the line')

the heap pump offered 6.77 kwh/m2yr
    the wood stove offered 1.91 kwh/m2yr

that totals out at 8.68 kwh/m2yr

a 250 w PV cell offered 0.63 kwh/m2yr

now if you add them all up it only comes to 9.31 kwh/m2yr
    but because the electric is counted as 2.5 the thermal it actually totals out at 10.26 kwh/m2yr

8.68 + (0.63 x 2.5) = 10.26

you use the formula i gave a to determine the electric pv input.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭delfagio

Brilliant Sydthebeat, as always 100% informative response.

Thanks very much for all your help with my query, you have cleared it all up for me now.

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

The only footnote I would put to this is that increasingly I see Deap assessments where EPC or CPC determine the size of solar array - especially if there is a combination of a stove and gas/oil.

Also, I assume that 2.5 multiplier dates back to a time when the grid took 2.5kwhr of fossil fuel to produce 1kwhr of electricity. With increasing renewables input, that has fallen to 2.37, so I wonder if this ratio will change?

• Advertisement

No Quentin, the 2.5 ratio is the ratio between requiring 4kWh electric versus 10 kWh thermal.

Advertisement