Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad repair of laptop, help please

Options
  • 29-10-2015 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

Any help please

I have a laptop with a touch screen on it. A few months back it got dropped and the screen broke. After ringing around I found the only local person that would fix it so I dropped it in to him.

That's where it all started to go wrong.

First The replacement screen was delayed
    When it was "fixed" I tested it in the shop and the touch screen wasn't working right
    They kept it to repair their repair with additional excuse's(postal strike, faulty screen, bad calibration, yada yada yada)

I went back in today and was told that again it was fixed. When I again tested it it still wasn't working right.

At this point I had lost all faith in this shop and wanted my laptop back. When I lifted the laptop to leave the store owner became very aggressive towards me, accused me of stealing his property, closed the door of the shop and stood in front of the door preventing me from leaving. He then rang the cops.

When they turned up they said that it was a civil matter but sided with me and allowed me to leave the shop with the laptop.

I have agreed to meet the shop owner and the person who actually made the repair (turns out the owner outsourced the work) on Saturday.

He is claiming that he should be paid the full amount of €170 as that's what this outsourced guy was charging him.

Yes he replaced the screen but with one that doesn't work.

Where do I stand

I am willing to have the laptop returned to its original condition prior to me giving it to him (remove and return the screen that he placed into it and put back in my original screen, which while cracked still worked) but am unwilling to allow him to do the job.

Has anybody ever come across something similar

Thanks

Omega

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,824 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

So did you pay anything or what? If you didn't I would pay nothing as it wasn't fixed properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭omega42

So did you pay anything or what? If you didn't I would pay nothing as it wasn't fixed properly.

No paid nothing, but the cops suggest that we take it to small claims court

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Putting it back together broken really isn't a runner, is the touch screen essential, you could make a contribution to cover the cost of the screen, which was probably somewhere close to €100, either that or brazen in out and keep the laptop and don't return to the store again.
    It's really up to the store to sort it out and it is a civil matter, think they'll just have to suck it up or give them a chance to fix it properly. Balls in your court as you have a working laptop with a new screen. The fact he called the guards would make me keep a wide berth of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

The fact that he was aggressive and locked you in his store would make me keep a wide berth of him tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

Small claims would only be used if you had paid and were looking for your money back. Since he unlawfully held you in the shop, which is false imprisonment, technically you could press criminal charges against him, but I'd simply walk away with what you have now and never go back there.

Worth reading
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/girls-get-45000-for-false-theft-accusation-26781093.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Contact the manufacturer of the machine about getting a repair. It's the only way you can guarentee a proper repair

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Under no circumstances should you pay for any work done.

You wanted him to fix the screen, and its not fixed. So you owe nothing

Let him deal with his shoddy contractors

(and that's aside from him locking you in his shop until the cops let you out)

Advertisement