Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job promotion

Options
  • 29-10-2015 12:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi guys

Bit of a mad one that I'm looking for advice on. Iv currently been offered a senior role in my current job which iv been in for 3 years.

The job itself just means more paper work and a bit of delegation. Pay isn't anything to get excited about.

I suppose I don't mind doing the clerical side of the job I just don't want the title or the responsibility. How do I explain this to my boss

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

You could explain to him the Peter Principle where people get promoted to his or her level of incompetence.

From wiki: "The Peter principle is a concept in management theory formulated by Laurence J. Peter in which the selection of a candidate for a position is based on the candidate's performance in their current role, rather than on abilities relevant to the intended role."

So, a top sales guy who loves selling and does it well, gets promoted to Sales Director and is now doing paper work, managing a team and not doing what he's great at, selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Hi all, I am looking for opinions, I am in sales, and have gotten a promotion as the business is expanding, to general manager, its a service based company, I was on good enough money for sales, but am jumping into a very responsible role, managing a small but growing team, only 4 for now, but will be 10 by the end of next year, how much of a pay increase should I expect, this has not been cleared up yet, it will move my hours from 40 per week to much much more, extra stress etc, any thoughts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

anyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

anyone ?

Well I would haggle with them in regards to the loss of commission from sales. Obviously you'll be paid for more hours, or maybe earn more time off for the extra hours. Maybe average your commission for the last year and ask for that to be your wage increase. Also u should be getting bonuses if the team hits targets

Advertisement