Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do I need to have account return to Electric Ireland before vacating property?

Options
  • 29-10-2015 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi Electric Ireland,

I am renting a property which is now on Airtricity and before vacating it the agency is asking me to return to you as you were the original supplier. Can you advice what do I need to do? 

I will vacate the property on Sunday 1st November 2015.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Kind regards,

Nora

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Nora,

Thanks for getting in touch.

In this case, we would advise that you simply close your account with Airtricity as soon as you move out. As you are moving out very soon, you shouldn't initiate a change of supplier for your own account. If the landlord or letting agency wish to switch back to Electric Ireland they are of course more than welcome to do so, however they would need to do this themselves. Switching can be done easily online here.

When you vacate the property, be sure to take a final meter reading for your final bill, and if you also provide the landlord/letting agency with this reading, they can use it as the starting reading for when they transfer back to Electric Ireland.

I hope this clarifies the matter. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    David

________

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Nora115

Hi David, 

thank you so much for your reply. I am afraid of getting in trouble with the agency, I would like to leave things as they were, even if it wasn;t me who change things. what if I close my account today with the other supplier  and open it with you, is that possible? or would it be too expensive to do it for the 5 days left in the house? 

Thank you. 
    Nora

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Nora115,
    thank you so much for your reply

No problem at all, happy to advise.
    what if I close my account today with the other supplier and open it with you, is that possible? or would it be too expensive to do it for the 5 days left in the house?

The problem is that switching supplier can take up to 20 working days, and once your account has been switched, you would need to remain with your newly chosen supplier for another 20 working days. We really wouldn't recommend this course of action if you are vacating the property as soon as Sunday 1st November.

The reason the landlord or letting agency would need to switch the property back themselves is due to the fact that change of supplier requests must come from the individual(s) in whose name the account is to be registered. As it is, you wouldn't be in a position to do what the letting agency is asking, without being responsible for the supply for at least another month after you have left the property.

I hope this helps. Again if you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
    David

________

Advertisement