Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you work long hours?

Options
  • 29-10-2015 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what kind of hours developers here work each day on average? I have a friend who is a web developer who recently got a new job with an american firm and he told me he's pulling 18 hour days atm. Are these kind of hours expected in permanent dev roles? I am considering a move into dev in the near future but if it means a life of slaving away for crazy hours each day then I'm having second thoughts. I don't mind putting in some extra hours where needed but not on a continual "we own your soul" basis. Does anyone here actually leave the office regularly at 5pm?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

I do, every day.

When the work demands it, I'll put the extra time in, knowing that it'll be appreciated.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

In 5+ years, I haven't encountered a situation where I've had to work beyond my 9-5 routine, unless I'm doing it wrong :P To be honest though, anything beyond 10-12 hours per day is a bit ridiculous and too much to ask of anyone. If it's a regular occurrence or requirement asked of an employee, then someone in the organisation has píss poor planning skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

9ish — 6ish here, the odd time I'd do an hour here or there from the comfort of my sofa with a beer but it's rare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

9-4.30 for a long time - the odd late night or weekend.

Currently 9-5.30 - think I had to stay til 6 one evening.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

09:00 -17:30 at the moment but did 12 to 11 pm and 9 to 7/8 a lot of in the past and realised 'poos 'is your thanks because we are all only a number and when something goes wrong/mess something up all the overtime and extra work sometimes without pay or assistance is forgotten about

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

A fairly constant 42hrs. The regular hours plus answering some emails in the evening. Books like Code Complete highlight both the folly of using hours as a metric of job performance and that work done after such hours is poor quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

The only times where I've worked late on a semi regular basis was in a startup where it was quite literally do or the company dies. Twice I stayed till 3AM to make sure something was ready for the morning.

After a while though I was able to return to 9.30-5.30/6. In my current role the longest I've stayed on was 30 minutes because the deployment was taking longer than usual to copy over to a server because of network issues.

That much overtime isn't worth it because your quality is lower, bugs are more frequenthan and you really won't get the reward (more money) you deserve - you're just working for free. You are not a martyr.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

Personally, very rare and most of the times, it is scheduled days before (weekend release for example)
    However, many colleagues of mine, work late and over the weekends, or skype meetings from home at 10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭brevity

I worked in a startup that required a lot of hours, remember working from home until 1 or 2 in the morning after doing 8-6 in the office that day.

Not good to be doing that long term through.

Where I am now is quite cushy - 9 to 5, flexitime etc...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Nah, 9-5 with one hour lunch and nobody is looking at the clock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

I had jobs at the start where I was working 60 hour weeks. I did it for a while to get experience. Near the end I found that developing for more than 8-9 hours straight doesn't work. If you have a problem working into the evening doesn't make sense (unless its production issue). It actually backfires as you make silly mistakes and increases the overall work.

I found going home actually allows your brain to think it over on a deep level. I used to find I would fix the problem very quickly in the morning rather than sloglate into the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

gargargar wrote: »
    ...Near the end I found that developing for more than 8-9 hours straight doesn't work...
    And you are not the only one:
    "The eight-hour work day is not as effective as one would think"
    Linus Feldt, Filimundus’s CEO

Source:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/sweden-introduces-six-hour-work-day-a6674646.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Go through phases of working 9 till 9 and then I go through phases where I'm not busy at all and leave on time or early. Depends on what's going on really and how important it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

Elessar wrote: »
    Just wondering what kind of hours developers here work each day on average? I have a friend who is a web developer who recently got a new job with an american firm and he told me he's pulling 18 hour days atm. Are these kind of hours expected in permanent dev roles? I am considering a move into dev in the near future but if it means a life of slaving away for crazy hours each day then I'm having second thoughts. I don't mind putting in some extra hours where needed but not on a continual "we own your soul" basis. Does anyone here actually leave the office regularly at 5pm?

Right now I do exactly 9.30am to 6pm on the dot with 60 mins lunch (during which I exercise) but I'm a remote working contractor, so I set my own hours. If I feel like a long lunch at the pub, I can do that as I'm the boss.

In the past some jobs I've had required the "death march" before a product release, and I don't mind that as it's simply the way it is in some software industries (games particularly). Good employers will return you the extra hours you gave them after the product ships by reduced hours for a few weeks or extra vacation days, bad employers simply create another crisis needing even more hours above your 40 hour contracted amount.

Startups tend to be less well managed than corporations, and tend to have more crises requiring above 40 hours extra hours. Smaller teams also means less available spare slack. Some companies are nothing but 60-80 hour weeks forever because it's always "the company will die" crisis mode. And finally some graduate recruitment programmes deliberately put trainees through ridiculous hours as a means of filtering out anyone without the desired commitment, and unfortunately that sort of mentality has leaked out into in sections of some big corporate employers with rank and yank schemes which strongly encourage long weeks - Enron and Microsoft historically, more recently Amazon (see http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/technology/inside-amazon-wrestling-big-ideas-in-a-bruising-workplace.html?_r=0 for an idea).

Basically, your employer is not your friend - you are a resource to be mined or invested in depending. I personally prefer the relationship to be written down every twelve months in a contract, hence I'm a contractor - if I work a single extra hour, I get paid for it, and that ensures that the client doesn't try operating in constant crisis mode (or if they do, I don't have to deal with it for free). But being a permie also comes with many benefits, and if you're in a good employer who doesn't abuse you and invests in you, I'd happily take a 30% pay cut in exchange. Sadly, such employers are rare, and even when they exist all it requires is a buy out or change in management for everything to go sour.

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Pretty consistent 9-5 here, which I'm quite happy with. We have flexible start and finish times too so I'll be switching to a 7:30 or 8am start after Christmas to make my commute a bit less painful (I'm pregnant and have a cattle-grade tube commute every day).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

9-5.30
    Usually leave on time.
    I work longer when I need to or I'm just in a groove.
    I've rarely been asked to work extra and when I choose to its because I'm saving myself stress of being late on a project.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

9-5.30 usually for me. Only ever work later than 5.30 when I'm behind in work and the deadline is approaching or if a bug is taking me longer than I feel it should to solve.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I work 8 hours every day plus/minus whatever it takes to finish off what I am doing. I don't just turn off my machine when the 8 hours is up. This is the same for everyone in my team. It would reflect very badly on the PO and on our planning and grooming skills if we were always having to work longer than 8 hours a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I work about 40 hours a week, sometimes more than that if I'm approaching the end of a project. I don't mind though as I like that phase of projects where it's all hands on deck closing something out.

The odd bit of overtime is ok but if it's chronic then that's a sign of mismanagement. Over promising and/or under resourcing really annoys me and I wouldn't continue to work OT if I thought it could have been avoided by proper management.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭NeutralHandle

39 hours with reasonable flexibility. Tend to work a little longer than that out of own volition just because I enjoy what I do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I typically work 10 - 6.30 but have a lot of flexibility in terms of how I structure my hours. Some weeks I may do more hours, some less. Once the work gets done nobody really cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

9 to 5. Trying to balance old and cynical with duty and responsibility I try to do a good days work but keep it as close 9 to 5. Not beyond taking the laptop home and spending all day Sunday cursing at the thing - but from past experience - I'm not going to break my hole either!

I did work in a place a number of years ago where I generally worked an extra hour a day - I used to call it the golden hour, the phones would stop ringing and most people would have gone home - and it allowed me to comfortably stay on top of things without killing myself :)

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I usually go 9 to 6 with a 30 to 45 minute lunch and a couple of breaks for a coffee and a smoke. I stay on late sometimes in the evening if I need to get stuff done before a deadline or if I'm doing on-call customer support.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 gherkin

9 to 5:30ish, sometimes stay a bit longer only because I enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

8:30ish to 5ish. A decent lunch thrown in. Of course the odd time I'll put in the extra mile to get a product release ready. No respect for people bragging about how many hours they put in. If you're constantly doing 60+ hour weeks, there's something wrong*. Always funny working on a long term project with the yanks when they start to cop on to the amount of days off, times we work :pac:

*Of course that might be different if you're working for yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭yes there

40 hour week. Sometimes an hour less. Flexible too on times.
    When I work I work though, I see a lot of people working at a stroll. I only take 30 min lunches.
    I see quite a few work >40 hours only because they aren't able to do the job in the time they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 EdenStudios

I was doing from 9am to 9pm regularly for the past 2 years-ish but I'm self employed so maybe that's different?
    Can't pretend mid-day I didn't grab a coffee somewhere etc :)

If I was single, I'd probably work until 2 or 3 am most nights as that's when I feel I produce my best work. The phone isn't ringing, I've the music on etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

i'm *in front* of my computer about 70-80 hours a week according to rescuetime. productivity score is usually around 40% so 28-32 hours a week of pure, actual work either in jetbrains, notepad++, stackoverflow, etc. i think that's pretty good, i doubt most office workers actually put in 40 hours of work.

but i'm a lazy bástard, i'm sure most people have a higher productivity score

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I'm in UK: 9-5 weekdays, hour for lunch.

The odd late work for an hour or two to do crucial updates, maybe once a week (paid overtime). Once a month release code into live environment for ~3 hours late at night (paid overtime).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭JigglyMcJabs

Where I work now, there are a couple of devs with a ridiculous work ethic. They come in early and stay late every day, they bang out unholy amounts of good code.
    This has developed into a culture of everyone else starting early and working late to keep up, because management can see some tasks consistently flying ahead of others. It's a pain!

Advertisement