Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Antifreeze Coolant used in older classic vintage cars

Options
  • 29-10-2015 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Will be looking to flush out the cooling system on a 1979 MGB soon. I've been reading up on the subject on various forums. From reading various forums and articles, I gather that the modern coolants for newer cars OAT (Organic Acid Technology) are not suitable for use in the cars of the 1970's and instead an IAT(Inorganic Acid Technology) coolant should be used.

There has been mention of the use of IAT Ethylene Glycol coolant or Propylene Glycol coolant. I've seen mention of a brand of coolant "Bluecol" antifreeze mentioned on some Uk based forums, not sure if it is readily available here in Ireland.

Acording to the MGB haynes manual, I need to look out for an antifreeze which meets the standards of BS 3151,BS 3152 or BS 6580.

Which brand of coolant do you use in your classic car that is readily available in Irish motorfactors?

Also referring again to the haynes manual with regard to mixture rates of antifreeze coolant with water.

Concentration 25% protection down to -13 degrees celcius
    Concentration 33% protection down to -19 degrees celcius
    Concentration 50% protection down to -36 degrees celcius

So I'm looking for any information also regarding, which is the best mixture rate to use in older cars? Also any other information regarding replacing coolant in classic cars or flushing out the cooling system would be useful.

Here are a couple of links to articles with some useful information on the subject.

https://citroenclassics.wordpress.com/2012/03/17/what-is-the-right-coolant-to-use-in-our-older-cars/

http://www.v8register.net/FilesV8WN/Concerns%20with%20antifreeze%20for%20classic%20cars%20090310.pdf

Thanks Pachanco

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 avaconirl

Would you consider evans coolant it is expensive but it has its advantages.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I use Comma G48. Halfords used to sell it 5l concentrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pachanco

Thanks avaconirl. Had a quick look on another forum about the evans waterless coolant. Do you use it yourself?

A few of the posts in this discussion make for interesting reading, worth a read through for those intending using the evans stuff.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=9&t=1187245&mid=0&i=0&nmt=Evans%20Waterless%20coolant&mid=0

Thanks also Kenny Loggins

I see Halfords are doing the Comma G48 in a ready mixed 5 litre for €25.99. This meets the BS6580 standard that the MGB requires.

Link to forum discussing G48 verses G30 used in an old mini and an interesting exchange of letters between a forum poster and a representative of comma oil. I've seen a number of articles saying to avoid the newer OAT in all circumstances in the older cars, but the representative of comma oil seems to think that the newer ones would not cause damage.

"There are essentially two different types of coolant under discussion here – one that contains silicate based corrosion inhibitors (G48) and one that contains the more modern OAT based inhibitors (G30). The more modern, OAT based product was not introduced until the mid 1990s and whilst it would more than likely be suitable for most vehicles manufactured before this date it simply wasn’t around when the vehicle in question was manufactured. For this reason we recommend a product based on the older, silicate chemistry which is much more representative of the technology that would have been around at the time. This is a general rule of thumb we apply to all vehicles that are produced before the inception of OAT based coolants except where the manufacturer has issued specific instructions to the contrary"

http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/topic/186791-which-antifreeze-is-red-organic-acid-technology-ok/

Still interested to hear anymore opinions on types of coolant best suited to the classic car and mixture rates.

Thanks Pachanco

I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's like oil - you could dedicate your whole life to researching different grades and brands while another person just tops up and drives on with no issues. Just don't mix two types - what's in it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 avaconirl

Where i am we would use it often enough. If you want to use it you have to flush out the system with evans prep which removes all traces of water. See advert on done deal and talk to Peter.
    If you want to use old style go for the blue coolant/antifreeze try not to use pink or green these are more suitable to modern engines that have aluminium alloys in there engines. Remember to change the coolant every 2/3 years as well as it goes off.
    Also give your system a good flush before you put in the new coolant use a rad flush product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Big Red Fella

I use Evans waterless coolant highly recommended stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Justjens

I read on another forum that the blue coolant was the one to use (old formula?) and that's what goes in everything, old, modern and machinery, at about 33%.

If you store your car outside that should easily cover you to -10*c. Recently got 20L for €60, try a motor factors as Halfords are not always the best value.

Justjens wrote: »
    I read on another forum that the blue coolant was the one to use (old formula?) and that's what goes in everything, old, modern and machinery, at about 33%.

If you store your car outside that should easily cover you to -10*c. Recently got 20L for €60, try a motor factors as Halfords are not always the best value.

If you don't mind using random schtuff (like me) :D -

https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Farming/Farm-Hardware--Equipment/Farm-Machinery-Accessories/Antifreeze-Concentrate-5lt-0748880

https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Farming/Farm-Hardware--Equipment/Farm-Machinery-Accessories/Antifreeze-Concentrate-20lt-0748881

I only suggested the Comma G48 as it well documented.

what's in it now?

That's anybodies guess. I'd say there's all sorts of concoctions in it at the minute. The car has been sitting idle for a long time before I acquired it recently.I do know whatever is in it now has been sitting in it for over ten years, so it is long, long overdue a change and proper flush out. Have some radiator flush ready for the job.

avaconirl wrote: »
    Where i am we would use it often enough. If you want to use it you have to flush out the system with evans prep which removes all traces of water. See advert on done deal and talk to Peter.
    If you want to use old style go for the blue coolant/antifreeze try not to use pink or green these are more suitable to modern engines that have aluminium alloys in there engines. Remember to change the coolant every 2/3 years as well as it goes off.
    Also give your system a good flush before you put in the new coolant use a rad flush product.

I think I'll go the easier route this time anyway and stick with the normal antifreeze coolant, might look into that stuff in a few years,once I'm more familiar with the inner workings of the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

Back in 1979 there was not the same range of coolants as there are now . As far as I can remember all cars seemed to use the same antifreeze as it was called - and it was blue in colour .
    As one poster said you could spend a lot of time 'researching' what to use and be no further along.
    I had experience of Morris Oxford and Austin Cambridge cars with the 1622 cc engine and they all used the same AF . As far as I know the MGB had the same engine bored tout to 1800 cc or so .
    A good flush out would now be important - these cars all used Ethylene Glycol based AF as far as I know.
    Don't forget the AF is not just important for preventing the water freezing - it also contains corrosion inhibitors to prevent internal corrosion . If you drain the water from an engine that has been using plain water for some time you will see how rusty it is .

Advertisement