Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing credit card to different provider

Options
  • 29-10-2015 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi, I am in the process of switching from BOI to PTSB. I paid the 30 Euro stamp duty in April so when I close my credit card with BOI I presume i just need to have my balance at nil and get a letter from yourselves indicating i have paid the duty already for this year and give it to PTSB? 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Helen

Hi, I am in the process of switching from BOI to PTSB. I paid the 30 Euro stamp duty in April so when I close my credit card with BOI I presume i just need to have my balance at nil and get a letter from yourselves indicating i have paid the duty already for this year and give it to PTSB? 
    Hi bitethebullet,

Thank you for contacting us here on Boards this morning.

We’re sorry to hear you are leaving us and hopefully you will change your mind. If you are moving you will need to request a Government Stamp Duty Exemption letter.

Simply contact one of my colleagues in the credit card department on 0818 251 251 they will be happy to request this for you.

Have a great day and if there is anything we can help you with please don’t hesitate in contacting us again.

Helen

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭bitethebullet

So do i need to leave my a/c in credit by 30 Euros and then i don't pay the duty next April on my new credit card,,,Is that how it works?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi bitethebullet, 

Thanks for coming back to us here. 

The E30 Government stamp duty is charged in arrears on all Credit Card accounts, so if you close your Credit Card account with ourselves the E30 will be applied upon closure. (as your account is seen to be open within the new tax year which runs from the 1st of April 2015 to the 31st of March 2016)

However, as you are switching to another Credit Card provider, you would not be liable to have to pay 2 Government taxes within one year. 

As such, once the E30 is paid to ourselves, we can then issue a Government Stamp Duty exemption letter which you provide to your new bank and they will not charge this fee next year on your new account. 

You can find more information on this here

If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us again. 

Elaine 

Thanks. In hind sight I might just stay with BOI mastercard but I am in the process of switching my current a/c. So my existing BOI current card will be closed so what options will i have of paying off the credit card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara P

Thanks. In hind sight I might just stay with BOI mastercard but I am in the process of switching my current a/c. So my existing BOI current card will be closed so what options will i have of paying off the credit card?
    Hi,

It’ll be possible to set up a direct debit or a standing order from your new current account into your Bank of Ireland MasterCard. You may also have the facility to add your Credit Card as a payee with your new bank to make additional transfers into your Credit card account.

Thanks,

Tara C

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Hi bitethebullet. It's as simple as Tara posted above. You can setup a direct debit, standing order or 'payee' for your credit card with the reference being your Credit card number. PTSB can explain it and help you set it up if you wish.

Fyi, if you transfer funds from your PTSB current account to your BOI credit card, I'm seeing it take 3-4 days to show on the card.

Ok that's great. Is there an online way of viewing purchases or will i have to rely on the posted statements?

Ok that's great. Is there an online way of viewing purchases or will i have to rely on the posted statements?
    Hi bitethebullet, 

EStatements for your credit should continue however, we would always suggest downloading and savings your statements in a secure file on your PC each month. Upon closure of your Current Account we would also suggest speaking to one of our representatives on 0818 365 365 and they will be happy to confirm the status of your 365Online access upon closure. 

We hope this helps and if you require anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us again. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

Hi bitethebullet, 

EStatements for your credit should continue however, we would always suggest downloading and savings your statements in a secure file on your PC each month. Upon closure of your Current Account we would also suggest speaking to one of our representatives on 0818 365 365 and they will be happy to confirm the status of your 365Online access upon closure. 

We hope this helps and if you require anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us again. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 
    I access them through 365online though. If i close my current a/c will i lose access?

Hi, 

Just to clarify, your User ID and 365 Pin details are linked to your Current Account details hence, when you close your account this access may be removed. However, we would again suggest speaking to our customer service representatives as they may be able to offer advice on an alternative method. 

Apologies, that we could not be more specific on this answer however, as we do not have account access here, it would be necessary for you to call. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

• Advertisement
Advertisement