Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CAP 2 SFMA Case Study 2016

• 29-10-2015 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi All,

I understand you have been advised to work in groups for the SFMA interim assessment. With that in mind, I've set up this forum to give you a platform for discussion and for those students who may not know many others to get your questions and thoughts out there :D

Any questions/concerns feel free to drop me a line.

Caroline
    CASSI Education Officer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ChartAccount

I am currently going through the case study, is there anybody out there!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 Whoisin thehouse

Liam Doran is delivering an overview of the SFMA case study with Chartered Grind School early in 2016 www.charteredgrindschool.com for details

Why do they do these grinds sooo close to the exams????

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Mark_23

Liam Doran is delivering an overview of the SFMA case study with Chartered Grind School early in 2016

Yeah what's the story with this? Is it any use?

Going through the case study now. There's only one other person in my job doing CAP2's so if anyone wants to hare ideas, give me a shout!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭AtticusFinch86

Has anyone any ideas on what to expect? I've read it a couple of times now and there's obviously going to be a project appraisal element. Beyond that though, I'm struggling to see any other certainties.

I'm thinking...

Project Appraisal
    Possibly Company Valuation or Sourcing Finance
    Foreign Exchange Risks

Those are the first few that come to mind.

Edit.....

Just to add to the above, I'm thinking there may be a Decision Making element to it i.e. how long should International Show be run. 1 year? 2 years? 3 years? etc.

The way the info is laid it, it sort of facilitates a Decision Making matrix.

• Advertisement

I just had a read through assignment, can others contribute something that they have from their initial read of the case study??

From the online class about this assesment, there are usually 3/4 areas examined. The numbers are the competency statement areas. This is how the online lecturer said to go through the case study!

2.6 Company in difficulty
    2.4 Div decisions
    3.2 Risk
    4.2 Evaluate performance product evaluation, QC BU perf non fin factors, ethics

I can't seem to attach my excel like yourself.

I've done out a table with Ke Kp and the Bonds.

Have Cost MV Weight WACC across the top of the table also.

From the calculatons ive done ive Ke 10.1% with MV 48mill Kp: 4.2% and MV of 24mill.

Are people going along those lines? Hard to picture without the excel sheet i know

Mark_23 wrote: »

From the calculatons ive done ive Ke 10.1% with MV 48mill Kp: 4.2% and MV of 24mill.

Are people going along those lines? Hard to picture without the excel sheet i know

You need to scroll down when writing message and you will see additional options, then manage attachments...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mel7284

Work colleagues have highly recommend these courses, particularly the one in Cork on the 6th January. Acarevision.ie.

You need to scroll down when writing message and you will see additional options, then manage attachments...

I must need a certain amount of post as the only parts to that section are "thread subscription" and "rate thread".

• Advertisement

For the first case i've totaled up each of the cost and have split them into Fixed/Variable and there is a mixture in most of the amounts.

For example:

Transport:

Total Variable Fixed
    37920 25920 12000

25920 = (3cars x 120km x 48trips) * €1.50

12,000 = 4,000 x 3 (fixed lease payments)

Anyone else willing to contribute?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Jsmac67

For the first case i've totaled up each of the cost and have split them into Fixed/Variable and there is a mixture in most of the amounts.

For example:

Transport:

Total Variable Fixed
    37920 25920 12000

25920 = (3cars x 120km x 48trips) * €1.50

12,000 = 4,000 x 3 (fixed lease payments)

Anyone else willing to contribute?

Definitely on the right track I feel. It'll be a project feasibility, given more figures and budget constraints I'd imagine. So yeah all that is relevant!

As for the first section, definitely finance anyhow lol. Reference is made to the Wacc in particular so definitely a hint I feel! Haven't got into the ins and outs of it but will post here when I do

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Cap22016

I have the same answers for transport.
    And staff costs are working out as :

Band : (6staff x €2750 x 3months) = €49500 - is this fixed because its irrelevant of number of performances ?

Road Crew : (4staff x €8000 x 3months) = €32000 - fixed ?

Cast members : ( 18 x 4months x €2000) = €144000 - fixed ?
    Plus : ( 18 x €200 x 48shows) = €172800
    Total : €316800 = 144000 (fixed?) + 172800 (variable?)

Director : (1 x €5000 x 4months) = €20000 - fixed?
    Plus ( 1 x €500 x 48shows ) = €24000 - variable?
    Total : €44000 - 20000 (fixed?) + 24000 (variable?)

Im unsure about what to include in fixed and variable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Jsmac67

Cap22016 wrote: »
    I have the same answers for transport.
    And staff costs are working out as :

Band : (6staff x €2750 x 3months) = €49500 - is this fixed because its irrelevant of number of performances ?

Road Crew : (4staff x €8000 x 3months) = €32000 - fixed ?

Cast members : ( 18 x 4months x €2000) = €144000 - fixed ?
    Plus : ( 18 x €200 x 48shows) = €172800
    Total : €316800 = 144000 (fixed?) + 172800 (variable?)

Director : (1 x €5000 x 4months) = €20000 - fixed?
    Plus ( 1 x €500 x 48shows ) = €24000 - variable?
    Total : €44000 - 20000 (fixed?) + 24000 (variable?)

Im unsure about what to include in fixed and variable?

Director and cast members are both variable elements. So it'd be 18*200*number of shows done for cast for example, that's the variable element. I'd imagine on the day you'll be given the actual number of shows etc...

I've the same figures as above too.

For them all i've split them into Variable/Fixed if they contain both.

From this I expect we'll be getting the revenue.

Then perhaps find the contribution and break even point?

As this is a short term project i presume it has to have a residual amount of €250,000 (per the start of the case study) and the second part must have a residual of €2,000,000 after discounting?

Trying the second proposal now

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

Hey guys,

Just wrapping up on the short term project, this is what I'm thinking so far:

Fixed costs -->
    Venue = to be confirmed (non-refundable booking fee is a sunk cost)
    Set = Materials of 10k and labour of 150k
    Transport = Fuel of 25,920 and leasing costs of 12k
    Staff costs = Band 49.5k; Road crew 32k; Cast 144k; Director 20k

Total fixed costs = 443,420 + venue costs not given

Variables costs -->

Staff costs = Cast (18*shows*€200); Director (1*shows*€500)
    Total variable costs = ???

Breakeven point (in shows) = FC (see above)/Contribution (see below)

If on a per show basis -->
    Contribution = Sales per show - variable costs per show
    ??? - (18 * €200) + (1 * €500)
    ??? - 4,100

Target profit (in shows) = FC (see above) + Target Profit (250,000)/ Contribution (see above)

Is that about the same as everyone else is thinking?

Lyra Fangs wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Fixed costs -->

Variables costs -->

??? - 4,100

Target profit (in shows) = FC (see above) + Target Profit (250,000)/ Contribution (see above)

For Set production i've 24*4*€125 =12,000 (as opposed to your 10,000).

I split out transport into variable and fixed but i guess it makes sense to have it all in fixed.

Do you reckon we'll be given how many crew members etc will be required per performance? Otherwise for variable costs we can multiple them 48 shows.

For Set production i've 24*4*€125 =12,000 (as opposed to your 10,000).

I split out transport into variable and fixed but i guess it makes sense to have it all in fixed.

Do you reckon we'll be given how many crew members etc will be required per performance? Otherwise for variable costs we can multiple them 48 shows.

Thanks for that I read it as twenty days instead of twenty four days, I think the four members of staff required distracted me :P

Fuel is a subjective one; the leasing costs will be incurred whether they do 10 shows or a 1000 shows but the fuel costs are dependent on the number of shows so maybe it would be more appropriate to classify the 25,920 as a variable cost with the possibility of the figure changing if they decide to do more or less shows.

They say they require 1 crew member to sell tickets at the door and 3 crew members to transport the set from venue to venue so I guess 4 will be needed per performance. If you mean whether the full staff numbers specified in the table on page 6 the band and road crew are paid irrespective of performance, there's only one director so they must be at every performance and I'd say for simplicity we can assume all 18 members of cast will do every performance.

I'm sill not sure if that 48 trips (regarding fuel costs) refers to shows or if it's just a coincidence. I find it hard to believe they'd change venue every single day rather than perform in one place for several nights but then it's not real life.

Thanks for that I read it as twenty days instead of twenty four days, I think the four members of staff required distracted me :P

Fuel is a subjective one; the leasing costs will be incurred whether they do 10 shows or a 1000 shows but the fuel costs are dependent on the number of shows so maybe it would be more appropriate to classify the 25,920 as a variable cost with the possibility of the figure changing if they decide to do more or less shows.

They say they require 1 crew member to sell tickets at the door and 3 crew members to transport the set from venue to venue so I guess 4 will be needed per performance. If you mean whether the full staff numbers specified in the table on page 6 the band and road crew are paid irrespective of performance, there's only one director so they must be at every performance and I'd say for simplicity we can assume all 18 members of cast will do every performance.

I'm sill not sure if that 48 trips (regarding fuel costs) refers to shows or if it's just a coincidence. I find it hard to believe they'd change venue every single day rather than perform in one place for several nights but then it's not real life.

By crew members, i meant cast members :D

So for their performances I have 48*18*200 as I assume a cast members will be required for each show. Might be the case where for smaller shows not all the cast members would be required?

I also assume the director will be required for each of the shows so have 48*500.

Transport also threw me. Maybe we will be provided with a schedule?

For the long-term project the maximum contract for cast members is 4 years, so hopefully we will be given how long it should last.

For the set costs:

As it needs to be set up one month in advance, in year 1 would you count for the 400,000 in year 0? Or include it in year 1 so therefore have 9*400,000 and year 2 have 8*400,000

So for their performances I have 48*18*200 as I assume a cast members will be required for each show. Might be the case where for smaller shows not all the cast members would be required?

I also assume the director will be required for each of the shows so have 48*500.

For the long-term project the maximum contract for cast members is 4 years, so hopefully we will be given how long it should last.

For the set costs:

As it needs to be set up one month in advance, in year 1 would you count for the 400,000 in year 0? Or include it in year 1 so therefore have 9*400,000 and year 2 have 8*400,000

• Advertisement

For the set costs:

You can calculate variable costs for cast and directors if you assume a total of 48 shows. Maybe just note down that the number of shows is subject to change up or down.

I'm not sure if there will be smaller shows - nothing is mentioned to suggest performances will be tailored to the venue but I suppose it's something to bear in mind. It would be an awful lot of consider though given the time constraint of the exam and what we have to do already. On the other hand if we can safely assume 48 shows then the only things we're missing are venue costs and ticket sales.

I'm going to put fuel costs as a variable cost because it is dependent on the number of shows.

I would consider the 400k for the long term project to be included in initial outlay in year 0 after which they will incur 900k in movement expenses (assuming the set must be moved 8 times between venues and then brought back to Ireland). Then again its a little ambiguous whether we should include transport back to Ireland as a cost.

You can calculate variable costs for cast and directors if you assume a total of 48 shows. Maybe just note down that the number of shows is subject to change up or down.

I'm not sure if there will be smaller shows - nothing is mentioned to suggest performances will be tailored to the venue but I suppose it's something to bear in mind. It would be an awful lot of consider though given the time constraint of the exam and what we have to do already. On the other hand if we can safely assume 48 shows then the only things we're missing are venue costs and ticket sales.

I'm going to put fuel costs as a variable cost because it is dependent on the number of shows.

I would consider the 400k for the long term project to be included in initial outlay in year 0 after which they will incur 900k in movement expenses (assuming the set must be moved 8 times between venues and then brought back to Ireland). Then again its a little ambiguous whether we should include transport back to Ireland as a cost.

Seems like more work for the LT project so i think we might be just missing the revenue for the ST project.

I presume 9 times as in December it'll need to be set up for the following January show, in year 2.

Seems like more work for the LT project so i think we might be just missing the revenue for the ST project.

I presume 9 times as in December it'll need to be set up for the following January show, in year 2.

The way I see the set transports is: brought to S, to LA, to C town, to T, to S, to LA, to C town, to tokyo --> that's eight times. Then do they bring it home to Ireland for the Dec break? I doubt they bring it to Shanghai and leave it there for a month. The again what happens to the set during the break months that occur during the year?? It doesn't really tell us if it's brought home each time of just left in the next venue for a month.

I got the same values as you for the:

MV of pref shares = 24 million
    Kp = 4.17%
    MV of OSC = 48 million

But I got a different answer for Ke -->

Ke = (Do (1+ g) + g
    Po

Ke = (.2(1 + 10%) + 10%

Ke = 0.091666667 + 10% = 19.2%

I got the same values as you for the:

MV of pref shares = 24 million
    Kp = 4.17%
    MV of OSC = 48 million

But I got a different answer for Ke -->

Ke = (Do (1+ g) + g
    Po

Ke = (.2(1 + 10%) + 10%

Ke = 0.091666667 + 10% = 19.2%

Ahh, that was a decimal error on my part.

19.2 is what i've now.

Ahh, that was a decimal error on my part.

19.2 is what i've now.

Great! Nice to be on the same page as someone else :D

For the narrative piece I'm thinking foreign currency risk reduction would be a possibility.

I know there are several ways of hedging the risk but are there any non-hedging methods applicable to Strand plc?

Has anyone any ideas on what to expect? I've read it a couple of times now and there's obviously going to be a project appraisal element. Beyond that though, I'm struggling to see any other certainties.

I'm thinking...

Project Appraisal
    Possibly Company Valuation or Sourcing Finance
    Foreign Exchange Risks

Those are the first few that come to mind.

Edit.....

Just to add to the above, I'm thinking there may be a Decision Making element to it i.e. how long should International Show be run. 1 year? 2 years? 3 years? etc.

The way the info is laid it, it sort of facilitates a Decision Making matrix.

Hey,

Can you explain a little more what you mean by decision making matrix please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JM_3487

Hey guys,

Fixed costs -->

Variables costs -->

??? - 4,100

On the cast costs (under fixed staff costs above), I interpreted the cast payments as being €2000 for September and then €200 per performance after that. So total fixed costs for cast as €36000

Hey guys,

Fixed costs -->
    Set = Materials of 12k and labour of 150k
    Transport = Leasing costs of 12k
    Staff costs = Band 49.5k; Road crew 32k; Cast 36k; Director 20k

Total fixed costs = 311,500 + venue costs not given

Variables costs -->

Transport = Fuel of 25,920

??? - (18 * €200) + (1 * €500) + (1*120*1.5*3)
    ??? - 4,640

JM_3487 wrote: »
    On the cast costs (under fixed staff costs above), I interpreted the cast payments as being €2000 for September and then €200 per performance after that. So total fixed costs for cast as €36000

Good spot!

So many ways to get tripped up by the reading of this. I have updated my workings to reflect the change in cast fixed costs, the corrected material costs and the fuel costs being reclassified to variable costs.

• Advertisement

Just wrapping up on the first page of the case study, I cannot attach my excel workings but i will summarise what i have done here.

( a ) Calculation of Cost of equity and Cost of preference share equity :

In Summary

Ke = 19.17 % MV Ordinary Shares ( 2.4 x 20mil ) = 48 Mill

Kp = 4.17 % MV Preference Shares ( 6 x 4mil ) = 24 Mill

( b ) Calculation of Irredeemable Bonds :
    - Do not have enough information to finish this at present, will be given on the day.

(c ) WACC - I have tried to fill this out without the irredeemable bonds.

WACC so far excluding irredeemable bonds : 14.17%

- Am i on the right track or is everyone going down a different path ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

Just wrapping up on the first page of the case study, I cannot attach my excel workings but i will summarise what i have done here.

In Summary

- Do not have enough information to finish this at present, will be given on the day.

Yep I have that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mel7284

s15r330 wrote: »
    Yep I have that!

I'm also getting those answer!!!!

For the Short Term Proposal I have separated out the Fixed and Variable Costs as the following ? I have used the number of shows as 48 from the suggested number in case study, i know this could change on the day.

Summary Variable Costs :

1) Cast Members(18cast x 48shows x €200per show ) = 172,800
    2) Director (1director x 48 shows x €500 per show ) = €24,000
    3) Set Makers (4set makers x 24days x 125 per day ) = €12,000
    4) Motor Fuel (3vehicles x 120km x 48trips x 1.50pertrip) =€25,920

Total Variable Costs = €234,720

Summary Fixed Costs :

1)Materials = €150,000
    2) Leased Vehicles (3vehicles x €4000 per quarter) = €12,000
    3) Band ( 6 x 3months x €2750 ) = €49,500
    4) Road Crew ( 4 x €8000 ) = €32,000
    5) Cast Members ( 18 x 1month x €2000 ) = €36,000
    6) Directors ( 1 x 4months x €5000 ) = €20,000
    7) Venue Costs = ??

Total Fixed Costs = €299,500

• Registered Users Posts: 19 donmoister

Any more late grinds courses coming up? I just missed one today and another one is full fro SFMA :( Or are these courses essential to do well?

For the Short Term Proposal I have separated out the Fixed and Variable Costs as the following ? I have used the number of shows as 48 from the suggested number in case study, i know this could change on the day.

Summary Variable Costs :

1) Cast Members(18cast x 48shows x €200per show ) = 172,800
    2) Director (1director x 48 shows x €500 per show ) = €24,000
    3) Set Makers (4set makers x 24days x 125 per day ) = €12,000
    4) Motor Fuel (3vehicles x 120km x 48trips x 1.50pertrip) =€25,920

Total Variable Costs = €234,720

Summary Fixed Costs :

1)Materials = €150,000
    2) Leased Vehicles (3vehicles x €4000 per quarter) = €12,000
    3) Band ( 6 x 3months x €2750 ) = €49,500
    4) Road Crew ( 4 x €8000 ) = €32,000
    5) Cast Members ( 18 x 1month x €2000 ) = €36,000
    6) Directors ( 1 x 4months x €5000 ) = €20,000
    7) Venue Costs = ??

Total Fixed Costs = €299,500

I have the same calculations as you but I categorised the set labour costs as fixed rather than variable. I consider the output to be the number of shows so the labour cost of 12k will be 12k whether they put on 10 shows or 100 shows or even if the cancel the whole event altogether.

• Advertisement

I have the same calculations as you but I categorised the set labour costs as fixed rather than variable. I consider the output to be the number of shows so the labour cost of 12k will be 12k whether they put on 10 shows or 100 shows or even if the cancel the whole event altogether.

Good point :) i have updated my workings.. thank you!

Has anyone prepared anything on the foreign exchange risk ? I'm a bit lost on what to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rcoffey

Has anyone prepared anything on the foreign exchange risk ? I'm a bit lost on what to look at.

i think sessions 6 and 7 deal with fx risk, i think we might be asked how to manage this risk

has anyone any ideas on the short term project, i am thinking a decision making question but unsure what form it will take

I think it will be the narrative piece, you need to provide ways tailored to Strand Plc that they could avail of to reduce their exposure to foreign exchange risk.

• Advertisement

rcoffey wrote: »
    has anyone any ideas on the short term project, i am thinking a decision making question but unsure what form it will take

If you look at the earlier posts in this thread some people think we might be asked to calculate how many shows would be required to breakeven and then how many on top of that to achieve the required profit of 250k.

If you look at the earlier posts in this thread some people think we might be asked to calculate how many shows would be required to breakeven and then how many on top of that to achieve the required profit of 250k.

I think so too. Breakeven and i'd say a target profit part considering we have the €250k

Yeh i seen that, but i cant help thinking there will be more to it, maybe a mix to get the highest cont/profit, or a limiting factor, or am i off the mark here

• Registered Users Posts: 2 acurry89

Has anyone any thoughts on report number 2?? I take it the theory will be on managing foreign exchange risk, but for the numbers side?

acurry89 wrote: »
    Has anyone any thoughts on report number 2?? I take it the theory will be on managing foreign exchange risk, but for the numbers side?

Its an NPV calculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭AtticusFinch86

Having read the case study a few times and done a few calculations, I'm fairly confident I'm on the right track bar a complete curveball being lashed at me.

I'm thinking the following will be asked...

WACC (relevant info given and we will need it for NPV anyway)
    Project appraisal - do projects meet assessment criteria (for both projects - NPV for international project)
    Risk Management (FX risk will almost certainly come up, and possibly general risk. We'll probably be asked to discuss risks and how to mitigate)
    BreakEven Point and/or MoS
    Lifecycle - what is the optimum lifecycle of the "international Production".

I'd say 3 of those are likely to come up.

Domestic Production
    Fixed Costs €375,500.00
    Variable Costs €222,720.00 or €4640 per show

Internation Production

Cast Member Costs Y1 €65,250.00
    Producer Costs Y1 €180,000.00
    Set Transport Y1 €800,000.00
    Fixed Costs €400,000.00 *Set Production

I've attached some of my workings but the above is the jist of what I have done. The main calculations are in the last 3 tabs. Is anyone else getting these figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Anum24

In Summary

Hi, how did you get the 14.17% for the WACC?

Anum24 wrote: »
    Hi, how did you get the 14.17% for the WACC?

Ordinary Shares : MV= 48mil / Weighted=66.67%(48/72) / Cost=19.17% / WACC =12.78% (66.67x19.17%)

Preference Shares : MV=24mill / Weighted=33.33%(24/72) / Cost=4.17% / WACC =1.39% (33.33x4.17%)

Irredeemable Bonds : MV=?? ?? ?? ??

Totals : MV = 72mil / Weighted= 100% / Total WACC = 14.17% (12.78+1.39)

This is just an estimate, The irredeemable bonds still need to be added in, we should be given the Market value of them on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭lightspeed

just looking through what you have for project appraisal tab.

I got notes from one of the revision days and some costs on it are different from what you have.

I think you have an error for cost of road crew at €96000 as I think it should be €32000.

its says in the case study "Each member of the road crew will be employed for the three months of the proposed tour at a contract rate of €8000 each for the duration of the tour"

Notice it is the duration of the tour and not for each month as you have calculated it at.

We are not paying out €8000 to each road crew member each month only €8000 for each tour. So if tour was 3, 6 12 months etc, we would still only be paying out €32000 in total (€8000 per tour * 4 road crew members).

Also I'm not sure where you got the figure for cast members at €208800.

Revision notes I have, have it as follows:

Rehearsal: 18*2000 = 36000
    Performance: 18*200*48 = 1728000

Cast member Total cost: 290300

lightspeed wrote: »
    just looking through what you have for project appraisal tab.

I got notes from one of the revision days and some costs on it are different from what you have.

I think you have an error for cost of road crew at €96000 as I think it should be €32000.

its says in the case study "Each member of the road crew will be employed for the three months of the proposed tour at a contract rate of €8000 each for the duration of the tour"

Notice it is the duration of the tour and not for each month as you have calculated it at.

We are not paying out €8000 to each road crew member each month only €8000 for each tour. So if tour was 3, 6 12 months etc, we would still only be paying out €32000 in total (€8000 per tour * 4 road crew members).

Also I'm not sure where you got the figure for cast members at €208800.

Revision notes I have, have it as follows:

Rehearsal: 18*2000 = 36000
    Performance: 18*200*48 = 1728000

Cast member Total cost: 290300

I think your calculator is broken, 172,800 + 36000 = 208,800

• Advertisement
Advertisement