Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xmas PC upgrade

Options
  • 29-10-2015 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

Hey guys tis the season to hassle the missus for PC parts. I'm looking for some advice on how best to upgrade my current system. It seems to me lately the computers general usage is sluggish. Noticing really low frame rates in newer games and don't know if theres a problem with my current setup thats causing that

Mobo : ASrock 970 pro 3
    CPU : AMD FX 6300 6 core
    GFX : Ge-force 660Ti
    Ram : 8GB DDR 3
    Storage : 128GB ssd and 1TB SATA
    PSU : Be Quiet 650w
    Case : Normal black case can't even remember the brand

1. What is your budget? [€600 ish]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? List above

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1080p

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [No]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes willing but can't really see me doing much, maybe if I had of picked up that cheap g3258]

8. How can you pay? [Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [before christmas all going well]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You should be able to get €200-220 for your 6300, board and GTX660Ti.

Shouldn't really be getting really low framerates on that setup, 6300 isn't a brilliant processor and the 660Ti is getting a bit old, but should still be able to play the latest games at 1080p medium-ish well enough.

If you're keen to use up that budget, you could get a B85 Board, i5-4440/4460 and a GTX970 for about 600. Performance would be massively increased all around and would tackle the latest games at ultra at 1080p very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

Thanks very much for the suggestions, where would be the best place to source those parts. Was looking at prices on Amazon.co.uk seem to close to what your recommended?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Xyo wrote: »
    Thanks very much for the suggestions, where would be the best place to source those parts. Was looking at prices on Amazon.co.uk seem to close to what your recommended?

Just an FYI amazon.de has enabled an English option now so its easily eligible. And they are also starting to ship to IReland directly. You might need to still use Parcel motel for some stuff, but Amazon.de is a good shout for PC parts. (Believe they have a low electronic tax on products)

https://www.curiua.com/

This lets you run comparison against prices across all the regions. Quick check on MSI GTX970 shows it cheaper on the DE site (as per the norm)

Advertisement