Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitness and Stuff

Options
  • 29-10-2015 4:16pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I like reading the fitness and progression here recently so thought I'd stick a log on here too as I'm just starting weightlifting really. Started at the gym this year for the first time and think that's going well (lost 56lbs in the last 15 months from diet and exercise). I mostly did some running and a lot of crosstrainer for that, don't really want to lose more weight any more just get stronger as lot of strength disappeared with all that and I am weak like kitten.

Current exercise is 10km cycle every day, gym 5 times per week, for one hour at lunch, mon-fri. So instead of crosstrainer 5 times per week I'd like to cut that back to twice per week and try and lift 3 times, low weights at the moment and build it up. I've never done a deadlift, barbell row, weights squat before etc so goal is to do one at some point. :pac:

So I'll start off, since I cycle every day I won't bother saying that every time.

Yesterday:
    Crosstrainer level 16/17 50 mins 708 cals.

Today:
    Not sure how to log weights so if I'm using one with each arm I'll just post total.

shoulder press 4x15 18kg
    lat pull down 3x15 level 11 55kg
    lat pull down 1x15 level 12 60kg
    bent over single arm row 4x15 x2 12kg
    chest press 5x15 28kg -> 32kg
    prone row 4x15 18kg -> 20kg
    prone fly 4x15 14kg
    walking lunges 4x15 x2
    bicep curls 21s 4x15 x2 18kg
    Tricep extensions 4x15 9kg

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Today I was back on the crosstrainer:

level 16, 56 mins, 820 cals, most I've done I think.

1x15 dumbbell bench press 32kg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Today! Will keep increasing weight weekly until I cannae do no more cap'n.

shoulder press 4x15 18kg ->20kg
    lat pull down 4x15 level 11 55kg -> level 12 60kg
    chest press 4x15 32kg
    prone row 4x15 20kg
    prone fly 4x15 14kg -> 16kg
    walking lunges 4x15 x2
    bicep curls 21s 4x15 x2 18kg -> 20kg
    Tricep extensions 4x15 18kg ->20kg

1x15 32kg bench
    level 16/17 50 mins 740 cals on crosstrainer

Gone palelol, got two boxes of these for €7 in spar, 36 bars. Good times. They have three ingredients but damn they are tasty. That is post workout snacks sorted. Also bought about 50 trek + artisan grains bars a month or so ago for similar prices in there. Oh, also got 20 nakd bars in tehre today for €10

paleo-18-almond_full.png

Same weights again today, was kinda in a hurry so did it faster. Might do a class as cardio tomorrow.

shoulder press 4x15 20kg
    lat pull down 4x15 level 12 60kg
    chest press 4x15 32kg
    prone row 4x15 20kg
    prone fly 4x15 16kg
    walking lunges 4x15 x2
    bicep curls 21s 4x15 x2 20kg
    Tricep extensions 4x15 20kg

• Advertisement

Did a fitball class today with work at lunch, have to say I really enjoyed it. I've only done one other gym class before like a year ago and found it much more difficult back then.
    Have to say some exercises are pretty tough and my flexibility is non-existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,600 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Did a fitball class today with work at lunch, have to say I really enjoyed it. I've only done one other gym class before like a year ago and found it much more difficult back then.
    Have to say some exercises are pretty tough and my flexibility is non-existent.

Is that Scottish for 'football'?

Haha, it's just core exercises using a medicine ball as an aid/detriment.

Haha, it's just core exercises using a medicine ball as an aid/detriment.

I did Google it after but it did remind of when I read 'Trainspotting' :)

Is it a regular class that goes on at work?

There is a gym next door to work so work signed up for 8 classes starting today, then we will see after. Pretty handy!

• Advertisement

Abs fairly damn sore today! They know I never use them, clever bastards. Just raised the weight of 3 lifts slightly, at least every time I do it's a PB :pac:
    For the dumbbell bench presses I do, the main problem is actually getting the left hand into position with the weight, seems very hard then it's fine once I do.

shoulder press 4x15 20kg
    chest press 4x15 32kg -> 36kg
    prone row 4x15 20kg -> 24kg
    prone fly 4x15 16kg
    walking lunges 4x15 x2
    Tricep extensions 4x15 10kg ->12kg

shoulder press 4x15 20kg
    chest press 4x15 36kg
    prone row 4x15 24kg
    prone fly 4x15 16kg ->18kg
    walking lunges 4x15 x2
    Tricep extensions 4x15 12kg

I tried this to get bench press dumbbells into position but nearly killed myself so I'll keep working on it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

I keep the dbells tight to my chest then roll back,its get easier with practice.The hard part comes when incline pressing.

I do that too (if you mean roll back then lift them up straight after you are lying down), then I find it wastes a lot of energy getting the dumbbells into position, and sometimes I can't get them in position at all, yet can easily do 15 reps with the weight, I suspect weaker muscles are holding me back. I think i'll move to the barbell for incline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Its a funny one alright,over time as you get stronger you will notice this becomes less of a problem.Getting the darn thing into position is a movement of its own

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Tricep extensions 4x15 12kg

Are ye doing the tricep extensions at 12kg with one arm? :eek::eek: #totesbeastmode

I'd probably be lucky to do 15 reps with 4kg :o

Haha no i'm afraid not, jsut doing two hands at once on the same 12kg weight, so I suppose that's like 6kg each. When i gget to 24kg I'll let you know :p

Haha no i'm afraid not, jsut doing two hands at once on the same 12kg weight, so I suppose that's like 6kg each. When i gget to 24kg I'll let you know :p

I do them one arm at a time so that's somewhat reassuring, but still way more than me! :o Tris are the new glutes I tell ye!

Doesn't take too long to get from the weight you are at to my weight, sure everybody else lifts more than me for every lift at the gym and on these forums! We can wallow in pity together :D

Today was level 16/17, 50 mins, 767 cals, on crosstrainer.
    1x15 36kg db bench press. Also practiced getting dumbbells into position from that video with 32kg and lived to tell the tale.

Put up two weights today, fairly knackered after working all hours so it took a while. Put up one especially for caviar :D

shoulder press 4x15 20kg
    bent over single arm row 4x15 x2 12kg ->14kg
    chest press 4x15 36kg
    prone row 4x15 24kg
    prone fly 4x15 18kg
    walking lunges 4x15 x2
    Tricep extensions 4x15 12kg -> 14kg

• Advertisement

Tricep extensions 4x15 12kg -> 14kg

Ah here :o:o

Haha just messing, found that very hard!

Another core class today, was much harder than last week, was killer. So much pushups, planks, burpees, squats and that fitball thing. Was very hard on the arms after weights yesterday. Feel good after though.

Is it easier to bench more weight with barbell or dumbbells or is there any difference? Never used a barbell before. There is an incline one in the gym.

Is it easier to bench more weight with barbell or dumbbells or is there any difference? Never used a barbell before. There is an incline one in the gym.

Most people would lift more with a barbell than with dumbbells. There's more stability with the bar as opposed to having to work to keep everything stable with DBs.

Might give it a go today to see what it is like cheers. Brother started lifting too and is benching 70kg, so I got some catching up to do.

Noticed I've been doing tricep extensions wrong I think? My elbows are quite far from my head which makes it easier and may be bringing the biceps into play? Noticed they were quite close to his head here, his arms are vertical, mine are more splayed outwards. So caviar we probably aren't far apart, I'll have to come down in weight to do that I imagine.

Raised two lifts today, still hard to get dbs in position but am at 40kg now, 30 more to go until bw x15.

shoulder press 3x15 20kg
    shoulder press 1x15 24kg
    bent over single arm row 4x15 x2 14kg
    chest press 4x15 36kg -> 40kg
    prone row 4x15 24kg -> 28kg
    prone fly 4x15 18kg
    walking lunges 4x15 x2
    Tricep extensions 4x15 14kg

Noticed I've been doing tricep extensions wrong I think? My elbows are quite far from my head which makes it easier and may be bringing the biceps into play? Noticed they were quite close to his head here, his arms are vertical, mine are more splayed outwards. So caviar we probably aren't far apart, I'll have to come down in weight to do that I imagine.

The more flared they are, the more the pecs are engaged so you're taking stress off the triceps. Keeping elbows closer to the head isolates the triceps.

Thanks I'll have to retrain that so. I also realise I'm just mostly making up what I do, i should probably learn what you are supposed to do with benching etc, form, instead of just lift things up and down.. i see my back is flat whilst others have it arched and so on.

• Advertisement

Thanks I'll have to retrain that so. I also realise I'm just mostly making up what I do, i should probably learn what you are supposed to do with benching etc, form, instead of just lift things up and down.. i see my back is flat whilst others have it arched and so on.

Could probably do with a bit more leg work in there as well. Split squats, lateral lunges, goblet squats, step ups, etc

Advertisement