Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitness and Stuff

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Great thanks, will try to follow suit, problem with my light weights is I am too easily letting bad habits in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,600 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

There could be numerous reasons for it.

A video from the side would be useful if you wanted someone to give a better idea.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Will try and sort it and if not, up goes the vid!

I took off 15kg and the form was fine, probably too heavy for me to maintain form.

Will try and sort it and if not, up goes the vid!

I took off 15kg and the form was fine, probably too heavy for me to maintain form.

If your bracing is right, then it might be an issue with your quads not being strong enough to help get you back up. What happens then is your hips come up and then you're left with your chest facing the floor more than it should and your back is left to finish the squat. If it's a heavy weight for you, that might mean rounding as well.

Do you find yourself looking more like the dude on the right?

Yeah i think I am moving them first and then pushing up, instead of as one motion. I will have to try and look in the mirror or record myself to really see ans I am mostly picturing what I am doing wrong in my head. Not quite as pronounced as that guy.

I believe I am going down like a proper high bar, the bar stays in the same position but I am going up like a low bar:

hqdefault.jpg

Will try and have a look tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Yeah i think I am moving them first and then pushing up, instead of as one motion. I will have to try and look in the mirror or record myself to really see ans I am mostly picturing what I am doing wrong in my head.

Yeah, don't do that. Just stand your phone against something to the side and record. You'll get a better appreciation of what it looks like.

Day 11:

5x5 57.5KG Barbell squat - Had a look at myself doing this, knees come too far forward, chest doesn't stay upright enough, heels come off the ground a little. Looks like a low bar squat. Should lower myself slower to stay balanced and ditch running shoes for flats.

5x5 35KG Barbell OHP - Finally did this! YEAH!

2x5 65KG Barbell Deadlift - Grand, lower back a little sore, gotta make sure I do exact form.

Day 12:

Varying low weight Barbell Squat. So I'm trying to correct my form with just the bar, or 30-40kg and it's hard going so far. Did a few hundred squats today :pac: Trying to analyse it myself: Leaning far forward, knees going forward, think knees collapsing a bit etc. Horizontal bar movement, back rounding a bit, like so https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJuarsP17Zc&edit=vd ?
    Can not get my back to stay higher either , need to do some stretching methinks.

42.5KG Did this fine this time.

5x5 45KG Barbell Row - This was fine.

Was wondering what I should to for actually bodybuilding aesthetics too. Maybe throw in some accessories. The volume I'm doing is really low.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I found Goblet squats great for improving my form with squats, especially keeping my back more upright, and depth-wise too (as well as mobility work obviously). Definitely worth a try and see how they go for you.

I went through a phase of just throwing in a couple of super-light sets of 10-12 with a kettlebell at the start or end of most sessions (even if not doing legs) and found over time, my form really improved.

Braced squats as well. Hold a 5kg plate right in front of you at eye level with pretty straight arms. Squat down and back up. If you're letting your chest fall forward, it will translate through to the plate which will drop and exacerbate it. So it's a way of practising squatting and not letting your chest drop.

• Advertisement

When I was trying to keep my chest up more it just felt like I would fall backwards (and that I can't even bend that way), some form of ankle mobility problem I guess.

Thanks guys, will try those out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,566 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I can see two things clearly wrong; your toes curling upwards and the bar moving forward. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you are trying to emphasise pushing through your heel. When squatting, the your foot should have the weight of your body and bar spread somewhat evenly across it. No emphasis should be on the back or on the front.

It also looks like you are trying you lower the bar as much as possible to hit depth. That's not what squatting is about. You're supposed to lower your hips, not the bar. At the bottom of the squat (especially the first in that video), you lean forward without your hips lowering any more, which is wasted effort.

Knees travelling forward isn't really as bad an issue as some youtube videos would say. It's when your heel leaves the floor and the weight is on the ball of your foot that it becomes a problem. Having decent ankle mobility will help with that. This is a decent video with some useful tips to open up your ankles and hips. If ankle mobility is an issue (I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell by your video), you could try putting some 1.25kg plates under your heels. If you're up for doing another ~100 squats to analyze yourself, it's just another thing to try. You should be able to keep your torso more upright while pushing your knees forward and keeping the weight distributed across your whole foot.

One mental tip that helped me with my form was to imagine yourself being like a loaded spring. Squatting down, your quads and glutes are like elastic so when you hit depth, you engage the glutes and quads to fire you bar upwards.

Thanks! I was going to back on my heels all right, as yesterday I was doing the opposite in my video, today I was trying to stay as far back as possible, thinking that would keep me more upright, it didn't really. I just wasn't sure why my chest doesnt stay up. I notice I am breaking hips and knees at the same time going down, should be knees first. Will have a look at the vid cheers, Alan Thrall's videos seem great.

Think I'll have a rest before another hundred :D

Day 13:

Barbell squat - Have given up on these for now, figured out it's an ankle mobility problem and I need to improve dorsiflexion. To this end, today I just did squats with no barbell, I used a resistance band around the squat rack to keep my balance and practice some upright squats. Then some goblet squats with my heels on some plates, I suppose just practice those for a while and do some stretching. Try and get to a stage of not needing the plates, then not needing the kettlebell.

3,4,3,3,2 37.5KG Barbell OHP - Knew I would ahve trouble with this when 5x5 35KG was hard to get, but that blew!

3x5 70KG Barbell Deadlift
    1x5 75KG Barbell Deadlift
    1x5 80KG Barbell Deadlift

Grand, as I am not squatting any weight I did more than the usual 1x5 deadlift. My lower back feels a bit sore after that so I didn't push it and do more.

crosstrainer 513 cals 35 mins. Some light stretching. Osgood is acting up in my knee from squatting, sore to do it today.

Day 14:

7x10 squats with resistance band for balance.
    2x10 goblet squats with raised heels.

5x5 45KG Barbell Incline bench - That was tough for me. I'm not sure 47.5 is going to go well.

5x5 47.5KG Barbell Row - Grand, form still quite variable.

1x5 75KG deadlift - have to be careful to not round back

Did a class yesterday that killed me.

1x min no rest of:
    pushups
    burpbees
    squats
    crunches
    leg raises
    leg swims
    russian twists
    sprinting
    ice skates
    side plank
    etc

then do it all again after 30 second rest

Main difficulty is it felt my abs were being ripped apart! It's pretty bad when you feel your sideplanks are your rest :D

Missed two sessions due to 4 day weekend, oh well. Still did some stuff at the weekend. Cycling round the phoenix park and a vegan meetup hiking in wicklow, so was exhausted.
    Paid for my second year at the gym today, yay a year! Got them to apply both the corporate and off-peak discounts to my bill so it was €140 cheaper than last year :D Still a dear place, but handy.

Day 15:

warmup 15x bar bench.
    calf stretches,
    squats with band
    raised goblet squats

5,4,4,4,4 37.5KG Barbell OHP - Bit better than last time all right but still not there yet.

1x5 60KG Barbell Deadlift
    1x5 85KG Barbell Deadlift
    1x5 90KG Barbell Deadlift

Not too bad, not sure if I am doing anything wrong with this lift or not, maybe will doa video at some point, before it gets back damagingly heavy.

3x10 50KG cable crunch
    3x20 60KG lat pulldowns

Did a core class yesterday, abs sore today but not too bad.

Day 16:

squats with resistance band for balance.
    goblet squats with raised heels.

1x5 20KG
    5x5 47.5KG Barbell Incline bench - Would have liked to bring bar closer to chest

5x5 50KG Barbell Row

1x5 50KG deadlift
    1x5 90KG deadlift

Day 17:

calf stretches,
    squats with band
    raised goblet squats
    raised bw squats
    warmup 1x5 40KG inclined bench.
    5,3,4,4,4 37.5KG Barbell OHP - Still doing crap at this - bar definitely not moving in a vertical path all the time

1x5 60KG Barbell Deadlift
    1x5 90KG Barbell Deadlift
    1x5 95KG Barbell Deadlift
    1x5 100KG Barbell Deadlift

woo 3 digits. Lower back has a dull ache after doing those deadlifts, is that normal or?

• Advertisement

More of a dull pain in the back of my hip than anywhere today, not my back actually.

Today was 20 pushup warmup
    50 mins 705 cals on crosstrainer

Log put on hold, got hit by a car and have broken elbow and finger, God damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Wottle

Sorry to hear about that, hope you have a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭caviardreams

That's terrible - hope you have a speedy recovery!

Don't be silly! What about the leg press? Calf raises? Leg press?

I jest.

Hope you've a speedy recovery!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

God!! Speedy recovery!!!

Thanks guys, it was a disaster. Couple surgeries over and it's been nearly a year but I started back at the gym this week, a much heavier person, and not in a good way! Back to it!
    Did cycling/crosstrainer on monday for 40 mins
    crosstrainer on tuesday for 45 mins.
    Just gonna lose the weight I put on first by being immobile from the breaks.
    My gym was kind enough to stop my membership after I got hit, as I had just paid for a year and have extended it from now.

More cross trainer for 45 mins today, they have new machines which is nice as they have tv/music videos etc. The old machine just had one difficulty, the new Precor one has inclination but it also has a going forward difficulty so I'm not really sure whats going on there. Started them both off a 11 and worked my way to 14 by the end. Roughly 6.5km

Had some problems with my back due to the car accident after that last post but am back in the gym now and will see how things go. Need to lose some weight, have lost 10kg in the last few months and have 10 more to lose. Started with a PT last week, we will be doing 2 sessions a week for 8 weeks and that's great, he's very helpful. After the first session I had DOMS for four days but I kinda knew that would be that bad after not doing exercise in so long. Tracked my diet last week for him, think it's grand but need more greens and possibly fruit. I'm not sure if you need fruit in a diet or not. Will probably just update here now and again.

Monday Jan 22:

10:30 - Breakfast Muesli with almond milk. (Wheat, Oats, Raisins, Almonds, Hazelnuts, Sugar, Salt.) Water.

14:00 - Lunch 400g Lentil and vegetable soup (Celery, Onions, Carrots, Potatoes, Lentils, Olive Oil, Salt, Bay Leaves.). Water.

18:00 - Dinner 400g Brown rice & Spanish bean stew (Red Beans, Tomatoes, Onions, Green Peppers, Courgettes, Sweet Corn, Green Chillies, Garlic, Sunflower Oil, Salt, Coriander/Spices, Olive Oil, Black Pepper.). Supplements (Omega 3, D3, Iodine, B12 - Varies depending on what I’ve eaten.). Brazil nut. Water.

20:30 - Snack: Ben and Jerry's. :-O Water.

Tuesday Jan 23:

11:00 - Breakfast Muesli with almond milk. Water.

15:00 - Lunch 400g Bean Chilli (Onions, Sweet Peppers, Jalapenos, Red Beans, Tofu Mince, Rice Flour, Sunflower Oil, Garlic, Spices, Salt.). Water.

18:30
    - Dinner Burrito bowl (Long Grain White Rice With Lime, Onions, Mixed Peppers, Pinto Beans, Black Beans, Sweet Corn Salsa, Tomato Salsa, Guacamole.). Water.

22:30 - Snack: Supplements. Brazil nut. Water.

Wednesday Jan 24:

11:00
    - Breakfast Muesli with almond milk. Water.

15:25 - Lunch 400g Lentil/veg soup. Water.

18:30 - Dinner Two Baked Potatoes With Tomato Curry (Passata, Tomato Purée, Soy Sauce, Onions, Broccoli, Tofu, edamame, Peas, Linda McCartney Sausage.).
    Water.

23:00 - Snack: Supplements. Brazil Nut. Water.

Thursday Jan 25:

14:30/15:00 - Lunch Seitan Jerky. 400g Bean & Tofu Chilli Water.

20:00
    - Dinner Baked Potatoes & Curry. (Passata, Tomato Purée, Kidney Beans, LMC Sausage, Cumin, Smoked Paprika, Garlic.). Brazil Nut. Supplements. Water.

Friday Jan 26:

13:30 - Lunch 400g Lentil/veg Soup. Water.

19:00 - Dinner Boiled Potatoes, Broccoli, LMC Sausages, Brown Sauce, Gravy. Brazil Nut. Supplements. Water.

Saturday Jan 27:

12:00 - Breakfast Soy Protein Yogurt (25g). Water.

15:30 - Lunch Edamame. Ramen (Noodles, Teriyaki Tofu, Spring Onions, Bamboo Shoots, Bean Sprouts, Spinach, Shiitake Mushrooms, Shoyu Broth). Green Tea.

22:00 - Dinner 400g Italian Veg Stew (Tomatoes, Onions, Chickpeas, Sweet Peppers, Courgettes, Kale, Brown Rice, Mushrooms, Olive Oil, Garlic, Salt, Basil, Black Pepper.). Brazil Nut. Supplements. Water.

Sunday Jan 28:

11:30
    - Breakfast Smoothie (Banana, Pea Protein, Hemp Protein, Peanut Butter, Cocoa, Soy Milk.).

15:30
    - Lunch/Dinner Seitan Kebab (Wrap, Seitan, Red cabbage, courgette, pickled carrot, spinach, spicy mayo sauce.). Water.

21:30
    - Snack Edamame. Brazil Nut. Supplements. Water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I adore muesli but be careful weighing it. A teeny tiny amount is so many calories and not massively satisfying. If you're using protein anyway, some pancakes might be doable. I bet you can make them without eggs. Or some protein squares with oats and nut butter

If you already know this and are satisfied ignore me :p

Advertisement