Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Supply is throwing a fit so it's time for an upgrade

Options
  • 29-10-2015 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭

My power supply doesn't feel like working today. Any sudden loss of power means my desktop will refuse to power on for an unpredictable amount of time. This happened a few weeks ago after a power cut and it decided to work a few days later. So I'm using this as an excuse to upgrade my rig.

Processor:
    I have decided on Skylake and have already bought a Z170A MSI Gaming M5 board. I don't think I need an i7 so I'm probably going to go with the 6600k unless I'm missing out by not getting the 6700 / 6700k. I'm currently running on an FX6300 so will probably end up selling this.

I think I would also like an AIO cooler. Tired of bulky air coolers. Is there any coolers in particular are proving popular among the Skylake users?

SSD:
    The mobo has 2x 32Gb/s M.2 slots so I figure I might as well make use of one. Not sure if I need some specific SSD or if any M.2 will do. From the documentation:
    ▶Supports PCIe 3.0 x4 and SATA 6Gb/s standards, 4.2cm/ 6cm/ 8cm length M.2 SSD cards
    ▶Supports PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe Mini-SAS SSD with Turbo U.2 Host Card

Graphics:
    Have two GTX 970s running in SLI now but my monitor is FreeSync 1440p 144hz. 970s are not ideal in my scenario because of the VRAM and obviously the lack of FreeSync. So I am considering swapping them out for one or two 390s unless someone else has any suggestions.

What would be a fair price to sell my 970s? Was thinking maybe 500 for the two? Or 260 each..

Case:
    I have a Fractal Design Define R4 now but wouldn't mind swapping it out. I'd like something with a basement section to hide the PSU, has a window, and obviously needs to fit an ATX board. This is more or less a cosmetic upgrade. Also if anyone has fan recommendations let me know.

Power Supply:
    This is the priority and will be ordered before everything else. I have a Seasonic 850w at the moment but not sure if I even need that much power. If I go back to Crossfire I most likely will need that much.

I do not need a mouse, keyboard or any other peripherals.

Budget isn't that important. I don't mind investing money into the PC.

On mobile so apologies for any typos etc..

Comments

Advertisement