Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DEIS

• 29-10-2015 7:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭

I hope this is not too controversial.

Is the "disadvantage schools" scheme a bit of a con in some cases particularity in non unban areas that have a strong community and don't have significant drug problem ( I know every where in Ireland has some drug problems )

One my sisters is sending one of her children to the so called 'disadvantaged school' in the rural town she lives in she sent the rest to the other school in the town.

The reason she is sending him because it has excellent metal work/woodwork and science rooms the other school does not offer woodwork/ metal work. The school has extra resource teachers, a free breakfast and supervised study with food for a fiver a week. The school also sends a significant amount of student to college to study engineering.

The school is considered disadvantaged because of the usual issues you get in rural areas, unemployment, loan parenting, background of small farms and so on.

Is the above really disadvantage?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Yes, you have listed 4 reasons why a rural area is disadvantaged, if your sister's areas falls under those headings why would you not consider it disadvantaged? Do you not think these are genuine reasons why an area might need extra help?
    Drugs are only one aspect of disadvantage, it is not on its own a reason for DEIS. DEIS schools were set up a few decades ago, long before the current drugs epidemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

mariaalice wrote: »
    I hope this is not too controversial.

The school is considered disadvantaged because of the usual issues you get in rural areas, unemployment, loan parenting, background of small farms and so on.
    They borrow the kids for a fixed term? I'd say that's pretty controversial, all right!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

These things can go in swings and roundabouts too though (in the long term). I knew of a school which got a deis status.. tons of resources poured in (rightly so).. results went up.. more 'well off' parents started sending their kids there.. and they lost their DEIS status!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Spread the love

endacl wrote: »
    They borrow the kids for a fixed term? I'd say that's pretty controversial, all right!

:D

I never knew there was such stigma attached to loan/lone parents until I became one myself! Anyway, I feel that the Deis system is a fair one and it is there for a reason. As another person said, the whole point of it is to help the pupils to achieve more and when this happens, schools can lose it. There is very set criteria for a school to be given Deis status in the first place. Any Deis school I have ever taught in, deserved the status.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

. Any Deis school I have ever taught in, deserved the status.

+1

(worked in 4 DEIS schools)

• Advertisement

I never knew there was such stigma attached to loan/lone parents until I became one myself! Anyway, I feel that the Deis system is a fair one and it is there for a reason. As another person said, the whole point of it is to help the pupils to achieve more and when this happens, schools can lose it. There is very set criteria for a school to be given Deis status in the first place. Any Deis school I have ever taught in, deserved the status.

Absolutely. Perhaps if the rural Deis schools were each supplied with a burnt out car? Just for appearances, like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Spread the love

endacl wrote: »
    Absolutely. Perhaps if the rural Deis schools were each supplied with a burnt out car? Just for appearances, like?

Maybe some single parents pushing pushchairs around the front of the school would help too. Would complete the Deis look I feel.

Maybe some single parents pushing pushchairs around the front of the school would help too. Would complete the Deis look I feel.

Problem solved, I'd say. /thread?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

There are two bands, DEIS 1 and DEIS 2 . Primary rural schools are usually DEIS 2 and so don't get the same resources as a band 1 school. There are children who are not dsadvantaged in DEIS schools in the same way as there are children with disadvantage in non DEIS schools.

From the DES website:
    "In the primary sector, the identification process was based on a survey carried out by the ERC in May 2005. The analysis of the survey returns from primary schools by the ERC identified the socio-economic variables that collectively best predict achievement, and these variables were then used to identify schools for participation in the School Support Programme.

The variables involved were:
    unemployment
    % local authority accommodation
    % lone parenthood
    % Travellers
    % large families (5 or more children)
    % pupils eligible for free books

Second-level schools were selected by reference to centrally-held data from the Post-Primary Pupils and State Examinations Commission databases which included:

Medical card data for Junior Certificate candidates (including Junior Certificate School Programme candidates)
    Junior Certificate retention rates by school
    Junior Certificate exam results aggregated to school level (expressed as an OPS - "Overall Performance Scale" - score). This was based on each student's performance in the seven subjects in which s/he performed best aggregated to school level
    Leaving Certificate retention rates by school "
    https://www.education.ie/en/Schools-Colleges/Services/DEIS-Delivering-Equality-of-Opportunity-in-Schools-/FAQs.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Al right I have got this all wrong, in my mind disadvantage has images of multi fathered families, lack of community supports, addictions, poor parenting, poor physical environment lack of support and interest in education, not just poverty of the material kind.

• Advertisement

mariaalice wrote: »
    Al right I have got this all wrong.
    :eek:

Delete that post quickly! There are some things we never admit in the internet! You'll have the whole site shut down!!! :eek:

Advertisement