Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stoney batter Seven

Options
  • 29-10-2015 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what Restaurant is going into the old Seven resturaunt sign says Kavanagh.
    Has the pub up the road took it on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

I live in Stoneybatter and we asked the builders about it. They said it will be a sort of greasy spoon cafe with good food.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭mikekerry

seven was a great restaurant, their early bird was great value.
    then they went and changed owners a couple of times and was never the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Where is/was this?

half way up manor street on the left close to maureens shop about 50 metres before kavanaghs pub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I was hoping for a good pizza place myself. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Cowtown Cafe its called

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭septictank

Hootanany wrote: »
    Cowtown Cafe its called

Your joking me, that has always been an insult name given to the people living in the council houses up the road in Drumalee.

It's where they herded and pend the cattle and sheep before shipping them off to be slaughtered abroad until the 70's, it is a kip full of junkies but some normal people also live there.

Hope they have insurance.

septictank wrote: »
    Your joking me, that has always been an insult name given to the people living in the council houses up the road in Drumalee.

It's where they herded and pend the cattle and sheep before shipping them off to be slaughtered abroad until the 70's, it is a kip full of junkies but some normal people also live there.

Ups so they have not researched the name feel sooty for them .
    Looks like Soulful is getting done up as well any Intel ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Wasn't the Oxmantown Road whole area known as cowtown?

I never heard it was used as an insult.

Most of the Stoneybatter area around the market was called Cowtown, but after the market was knocked down and left vacant for years the name went as well.

After Drumalee was built it was called Cowtown by the NCR locals due to the amount of single mums with kids that were housed there.

• Advertisement

I never knew that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Was it? I lived in Stoneybatter from the age of 3 until I was 26 and never heard that term for Drumalee. We called it the Cattle Market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Most of the Stoneybatter area around the market was called Cowtown, but after the market was knocked down and left vacant for years the name went as well.

After Drumalee was built it was called Cowtown by the NCR locals due to the amount of single mums with kids that were housed there.

I can't see many people caring that a cafe is using the same name given that they're referencing the original name and not the petty usage of it that some people adapted later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

And there I was assuming that it was being set up either by someone from Calgary, Alberta, or someone returning from living there.

gazzer wrote: »
    Was it? I lived in Stoneybatter from the age of 3 until I was 26 and never heard that term for Drumalee. We called it the Cattle Market.

I'm not from around there but hung around with lads who were,1 from Drumalee, that was back in the 80's and 90's.
    I can't see many people caring that a cafe is using the same name given that they're referencing the original name and not the petty usage of it that some people adapted later.

I'm sure that things will be fine for the cafe but there are some clowns living there.

I'm not from around there but hung around with lads who were,1 from Drumalee, that was back in the 80's and 90's.

I'm sure that things will be fine for the cafe but there are some clowns living there.
    Was that the town that's was in Mad Max beyond Thunder dome?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Anyone know what Restaurant is going into the old Seven resturaunt sign says Kavanagh.
    Has the pub up the road took it on?
    I think that. Kavanagh was just the brand name of the awning in the front.

mikekerry wrote: »
    seven was a great restaurant, their early bird was great value.
    then they went and changed owners a couple of times and was never the same

I disagree, Cucina2 was an excellent restaurant. Great food at super prices.

Ups so they have not researched the name feel sooty for them .
    Looks like Soulful is getting done up as well any Intel ?

Any word on what is going in there? Soulful was a nice restaurant, very surprised when it closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

Soulful got hit by rates and bills and stuff couldn't make it work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

dixiefly wrote: »
    Any word on what is going in there? Soulful was a nice restaurant, very surprised when it closed.

Wood-fired pizza place is what I heard.

Personally I love the name Cowtown. I live Oxmantown Road and have always referred to all of North Stoneybatter as Cowtown.

catch--22 wrote: »
    Wood-fired pizza place is what I heard.

Personally I love the name Cowtown. I live Oxmantown Road and have always referred to all of North Stoneybatter as Cowtown.

That would a good call hope it's not too pricey like the Tapas bar across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

That would a good call hope it's not too pricey like the Tapas bar across the road.

Stoneybatter needed a place like that Tapas spot I think. Somewhere fancy to go for a special night out that doesn't involve a trip into the city centre. The food is amazing too.

catch--22 wrote: »
    Stoneybatter needed a place like that Tapas spot I think. Somewhere fancy to go for a special night out that doesn't involve a trip into the city centre. The food is amazing too.

Yes i agree but the portions are really small for the price you pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭sweetie

Yes i agree but the portions are really small for the price you pay.

12€ fillet steak says hi!

I live locally and though soulful was very poor, not sorry to see it go. Got raw chicken on one occasion. Really like Boqueria. Is Seven social closed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

sweetie wrote: »
    12€ fillet steak says hi!

I live locally and though soulful was very poor, not sorry to see it go. Got raw chicken on one occasion. Really like Boqueria. Is Seven social closed?
    I gave up on Soulful. Overpriced, small portions and mediocre food...and she treated her staff very badly in public.

I remember the abbatoirs in Stoneybatter.
    There was one on the left as you go down the road behind the Glimmerman and also a piggery up behind the resource centre on Arbour Place

There was also a butchers on Cowper Street who killed his own. I still remember the sawdust on the floor:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭sweetie

I gave up on Soulful. Overpriced, small portions and mediocre food...and she treated her staff very badly in public.

The term 'if they were an ice cream they'd lick themselves comes to mind'!

Yeah Soulful was Dreadful

agreed the one time i went in she was having a go at one of the staff.
    atmosphere frosty.
    didn't return

• Advertisement

mikekerry wrote: »
    agreed the one time i went in she was having a go at one of the staff.
    atmosphere frosty.
    didn't return

I had a look in the window Soulful not seven it doesn't look like a wood fired pizza plaice

Advertisement