Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stoney batter Seven

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

The owners of the new place Cowtown are the same people behind the excellent Cinnamon cafe in Smithfield. It should be a great addition to Stoneybatter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭sweetie

1968 wrote:
    The owners of the new place Cowtown are the same people behind the excellent Cinnamon cafe in Smithfield. It should be a great addition to Stoneybatter.

We went in to Cowtown cafe on sat. Service was poor enough. Asked for extra water, never arrived, asked for bill, never came. Quite a long wait for food too. The burger was just ok and my wife didn't like her chicken burger. They wouldn't serve anything (bar small fry) from brunch menu even though we were there before one. They do half portions and ice cream for kids and my daughters fish and chips was good and the prices are good too (25e) so I'll definitely try it again despite teething problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Hootanany wrote: »
    I had a look in the window Soulful not seven it doesn't look like a wood fired pizza plaice

I heard at the weekend it's the same people behind Oxmantown Cafe moving into Soulful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

catch--22 wrote: »
    I heard at the weekend it's the same people behind Oxmantown Cafe moving into Soulful.

Oxmantown cafe ? Where's that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

Oxmantown does lovely sandwiches on the LUAS line between 4 courts and Capel St. It is always a competition between Hubbards and Oxmantown for good sambo in that neck of the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Anyone know what Restaurant is going into the old Seven resturaunt sign says Kavanagh.
    Has the pub up the road took it on?
    mikekerry wrote: »
    half way up manor street on the left close to maureens shop about 50 metres before kavanaghs pub
    Both question and answer underlined and bolded. Locals will understand.

:D

oceanclub wrote: »
    That makes sense .. Oxmantown and its in Marys abbey !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

Ok Oxmantown+Pizza is what I heard today for that going in to replace Soulful

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hootanany wrote:
    I never knew that
    Me neither, I'm from around there as was my father's side of the family. Cowtown is a name used for the area, not Drumalee people just called it the cattle market as it was built on the site of the market. There is still one old entrance of the old market left but largely Drumalee sits on the old site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Went past Cowtown yesterday morning - it was packed.

I'm hoping to have breakfast there this week if I get a chance. Anyone been in yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭sweetie

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Went past Cowtown yesterday morning - it was packed.

I'm hoping to have breakfast there this week if I get a chance. Anyone been in yet?

post #33

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

I've had breakfast there twice now. Both times place was packed and once we had to share a table with another couple (didn't mind this though!). The place is laid out a bid strangely, they could probably fit more tables in. Breakfast and service was good both times, lovely full Irish breakfast - good ingredients cooked well, nothing fancy about it. Coffee is very poor though, couldn't drink it.

I've been in a couple of times. As mentioned above - very busy both times. A lot of items on the menu they were out of but put it down to teething problems.

I had the medium breakfast which was great. Homemade potato cakes the highlight. Missus had a breakfast butty. Lovely chips.

And it's very good value. 3 quid for the butty (I think) and maybe 6 for the medium breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

catch--22 wrote: »
    Stoneybatter needed a place like that Tapas spot I think. Somewhere fancy to go for a special night out that doesn't involve a trip into the city centre. The food is amazing too.

Yes i agree but the portions are really small for the price you pay.
    So... tapas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

I was in there at the weekend and was underwhelmed, although that could be down to teething problems. I got the full Irish, and the potato cake as mentioned above was probably the highlight. The bad points:

- The rashers were absolutely cremated, like the dried out bits of leather you see at Centra hot food counters, although a lad at the next table had rashers that looked perfect.

- I'm not a big fan of the mushy style of black and white pudding they use there, but maybe that's a personal thing.

- The heat. The place was absolutely bloody roasting. I left with sweat on my brow.

- The folks working there were audibly sniping at one another, so my breakfast came with a large side of cringe.

- We were asked if we minded if some other people shared the table with us. Luckily we were done and were ready to leave at that point.

The good points:

- The potato cake was a nice touch.

- The coffee was nice, and if you get the filter coffee they go around and offer refills like a US/Canadian diner.

- The breakfast overall wasn't bad, and while I've definitely had nicer breakfasts in nicer settings around the general area, I'll probably return and give it another chance.

- The heat. The place was absolutely bloody roasting. I left with sweat on my brow.

Yeah - sweatbox in there on Saturday. This was also a problem in Cuchinos/Seven.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

So... tapas.

But Tapas is cheap in Spain
    Expensive in Dublin what gives I give it 2 years when the newness wears off I'm sorry to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Was in yesterday. Was busy but there were empty tables. Ridiculously warm, seems to be no ventilation. Waited 40 minutes for a basic enough fry-up, with no explanation/apology. Nice enough food but wouldn't go back until it settles down and they get the teething problems sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

But Tapas is cheap in Spain
    Expensive in Dublin what gives I give it 2 years when the newness wears off I'm sorry to say.
    Tapas and are hardly "new" in Dublin and you'll find that the prices are fairly high everywhere outside of Spain. Granted, it's atypical for the area, but IMO a sign of things to come rather than a once-off. Perhaps this place won't be there in 2 years, but that price point is there to stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

Was in Cowtown the weekend. Im happy from one visit, great addition to the area, hope it lasts.

Good:
    -Staff were friendly
    -Coffee refills are a good
    -Food is reasonably priced
    -Not pretentious which is nice for the area
    -Food was great, good ingredients and fresh

Bad:
    - It was ridiculously hot, bearing in mind a big mixed grill i put down on top, I was dying to get out into fresh air!
    - On the small side, so will be tight when its busy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

- It was ridiculously hot,

damn, a good few of you have mentioned this now, hope they get it sorted because I hate feelin like yer in a sauna when yer trying to eat!

Amazingfun wrote: »
    damn, a good few of you have mentioned this now, hope they get it sorted because I hate feelin like yer in a sauna when yer trying to eat!

It would be like eating your sarnies doing vickram yoga

whats going on in Soulful?

I saw some life in it at the weekend but no signage up.

whats going on in Soulful?

I saw some life in it at the weekend but no signage up.

It was open this morning or afternoon about 1 o'clock when I drove past.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kraft.l

It was open this morning or afternoon about 1 o'clock when I drove past.

Yeh walked passed at 10.15am, place looked like it's being done up,
    More delicious competition :)
    (Side note, Handlons Corner pub doing carvery dinners, and a la carte, think they have a new chef).

Kraft.l wrote: »
    Yeh walked passed at 10.15am, place looked like it's being done up,
    More delicious competition :)
    (Side note, Handlons Corner pub doing carvery dinners, and a la carte, think they have a new chef).
    Hanlons is starting food this Friday free pint and all pints are €3 on the 4th happy days.

Hanlons is starting food this Friday free pint and all pints are €3 on the 4th happy days.

Excellent, I'll pass that on, thankd

Kraft.l wrote: »
    Excellent, I'll pass that on, thankd

Don't tell too many lol oh and finger food as well.

• Advertisement

Don't tell too many lol oh and finger food as well.
    I'll limit it to a few people ;)

Advertisement