Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Puppies and Christmas Season

• 29-10-2015 8:36pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As everyone knows Christmas is always a time for BYBs to sell puppies to the public who may or may not have done their homework on the issue.

Every year we put a ban in place in the forum to discourage the practice.

Users that ask

"Where to get an "X" puppy" or trying to find a breeder for a certain type of puppy will have their posts removed.

The ban is in place from today until January.

Post will be removed and multiple offenders will get a holiday from the forum.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

It's really bad what the BYB are doing, we got our puppy Piper 5 days before Christmas last year, the looks we got off some people "Oh, you've got a puppy for christmas" type of look, wasn't our fault the breeder's dog came into heat when she did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

I simply don't breed any bitches in the winter months. The breeder could wait until the next heat cycle.

Not to mention that Winter is a bad time for breeding. My puppies love playing out in the garden in the summer weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭jimf

unless its a once a year heat cycle and that happens to be in the winter months then you would be crazy to breed a bitch at this time of year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

I wanted a doggie for years and years. It was only three years ago that I was at a stage that I could realistically get a dog. I read so many books, websites, watched YouTube videos, chatted to people etc. I eventually got a puppy, I had arranged to take time off work to spend time with her and start on the training, and had every gadget and toy available.
    I could not believe the amount of hard work it was and still is in one way. I have to say I did enjoy every minute of it and I absolutely love my amazing dog to bits. However , How people can go out on a whim and get a dog is beyond me. Dogs are amazing and give so much love and joy. But please do as much research as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

A Dog is for life, not just for Christmas.

• Advertisement

molly09 wrote: »
    I wanted a doggie for years and years. It was only three years ago that I was at a stage that I could realistically get a dog. I read so many books, websites, watched YouTube videos, chatted to people etc. I eventually got a puppy, I had arranged to take time off work to spend time with her and start on the training, and had every gadget and toy available.
    I could not believe the amount of hard work it was and still is in one way. I have to say I did enjoy every minute of it and I absolutely love my amazing dog to bits. However , How people can go out on a whim and get a dog is beyond me. Dogs are amazing and give so much love and joy. But please do as much research as possible.

imho you haven't lived until you experience the love and loyalty of a dog
    they are the best mood readers and have a canny habit of making you feel better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Hi guys, hope you don't mind me asking a question in relation to this. My parents in law are considering getting their daughter a dog for Christmas. It's not the usual case of buying a child a dog. She is 20 years old and has special needs, they have 2 sheepdogs but they are working dogs and not suitable for her. They want to get a small cross breed dog that will be an indoor dog and that she can bring for a walk with her mum a couple of times a day to encourage her to get more exercise. Would a rescue dog be suitable for her or would they be too timid to have with a child with special needs? She is great with dogs and I often bring my terrier out to her to bring for a walk. Any advice would be much appreciated.

TIA

blindside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Most rescues won't rehome around Christmas to avoid the whole people getting a pup for Christmas problem. I think your best bet would be to contact some local rescues and talk to them about what kind of dogs they have, most will have been in foster care so they'll have a good idea about temperament, suitability etc. But you'd be looking at getting it around now or else waiting till after Christmas!

a rescue dog may even be ideal as it can be assessed by the rescue before adoption

would fostering be an option to see how they get on first

jimf wrote: »
    a rescue dog may even be ideal as it can be assessed by the rescue before adoption

would fostering be an option to see how they get on first

Thanks for that, I'll look into it. The main reason they are thinking of Christmas is she is quite hard to buy presents for so they were thinking about waiting until Christmas to give her the dog and kill 2 birds with one stone. I was thinking of saying to them about getting the dog earlier and I would take it and train it a bit but I don't know how my own bitch will react if we introduce the new dog for a few weeks and then take her away.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Could they buy their daughter a bed, lead, dog toys etc for Christmas maybe? Then (having made really solid plans with a rescue in the interim), get the dog later?

DBB wrote: »
    Could they buy their daughter a bed, lead, dog toys etc for Christmas maybe? Then (having made really solid plans with a rescue in the interim), get the dog later?

That's a great idea, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks, I'll say that to them

get dbb a bun

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

jimf wrote: »
    get dbb a bun

One that's big enough to share with my dogs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Hi guys, hope you don't mind me asking a question in relation to this. My parents in law are considering getting their daughter a dog for Christmas. It's not the usual case of buying a child a dog. She is 20 years old and has special needs, they have 2 sheepdogs but they are working dogs and not suitable for her. They want to get a small cross breed dog that will be an indoor dog and that she can bring for a walk with her mum a couple of times a day to encourage her to get more exercise. Would a rescue dog be suitable for her or would they be too timid to have with a child with special needs? She is great with dogs and I often bring my terrier out to her to bring for a walk. Any advice would be much appreciated.

TIA

blindside

Just bear in mind that a rescue will probably want to see a fenced off garden for the dog. As nice as it is to give the dog the run of the farm, most rescues don't allow it as the dog is likely to get into trouble with neighbours' livestock, especially in sheep country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

DBB wrote: »

That's what my folks did when we got Lola! Sister wanted a dog for Christmas and no way were my folks getting one at Christmas. So they got sorted with approval from <snip>, had the dog stuff like bowls, bedding, blankets etc for Christmas day, for all of us, along with the sister's proper present.

Then on January 5th we all went together (6 of us) to <snip>, fell in love with Lola and took her home :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Ban lifted now.

Advertisement