Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cherry trees suitable for Ireland?

Options
  • 29-10-2015 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭

The fruiting trees, not ornamental.

Someone wants one, and I being the obliging type, agreed to help source one. Anyone got any recommendations?

TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭gk5000

The fruiting trees, not ornamental.

Someone wants one, and I being the obliging type, agreed to help source one. Anyone got any recommendations?

TIA.
    http://www.futureforests.net/br_fruit_tree.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

They'd need to specify whether they want sweet or sour cherries and how much space they have. Most cherries are large trees and most need a pollinator.
    I have the variety Stella which is ideal for a small garden and is self fertile, takes about three years to fruit and is very reliable. You need to protect from birds when the fruit starts to colour as they'll strip it in a morning. Does best with a bit of shelter and can be prone to sawfly. Of course like all early flowering fruit trees, harvest is very dependent on spring weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

What kind of cover do you use on it, Marhay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

What kind of cover do you use on it, Marhay?

I just use a garden fleece weighted down with stones tied to string at four corners, the trees don't get much above six feet. I did use netting but birds are inclined to get their feet tangled in it and it can be a devil to get them out, buggers don't appreciate you're trying to help them and take lumps out of any parts they can reach. The fleece is also transparent enough to allow sunlight in provided you don't fold it

Advertisement