Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New TV, Motion Rate?

• 29-10-2015 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭

I am buying a new standard flat screen TV. Screen size of 40-45 will suffice. No interest in Smart or 3D or 4k display resolution.

I am told to watch out for the Motion Rate. I had a lovely LG TV picked out for approx 500 quid but the guy in the shop warned me off it because it had a motion rate of just 50HZ.

Would I even notice this?

What else should I look out for or have you any links to decent specs?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I am told to watch out for the Motion Rate. I had a lovely LG TV picked out for approx 500 quid but the guy in the shop warned me off it because it had a motion rate of just 50HZ.

Probably because he was trying to steer you to a model which had a higher margin and from which he would get more commission. Most of the specs. advertised with TVs are pseudo-technical BS. There are plenty of review websites and magazines that will explain the features you should be looking for and how they will affect your enjoyment of that model.

If you read reviews in hi-fi magazines, you'll probably end up deciding to buy LG, Samsung, Sony or Panasonic. The sales guys all know this and they'll have those brands in the showroom but they're also ready to throw a spanner in the works and try to steer you to a different brand which gives them more margin - you've encountered this classic trick.

Don't believe a word that you hear from a sales guy on the shop floor, he has only one thing in mind and it's not your best interests.

Advertisement