Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need A Cordless Drill

Options
  • 29-10-2015 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a cordless drill, preferably an 18v, will mainly be used for around the house, and maybe the odd few bits outside. Not sure of whats the best make or best place to buy. Help appreciated
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

B&Q Tallaght or Liffey Valley.

Good selection and, knowledgeable staff, who will point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It comes down to what sort of money you can spend. You can't go far wrong with Makita, but it may be outside your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I bought a 12v black and decker drill/driver last week paid €60.

if its drilling you doing go for 18v minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Seen this in woodies last week, perfect for around the house stuff.

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/18v-rok-nicad-cordless-drill-driver/37341/11

I've a corded rok drill and a rok skillsaw and never had an issue with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

B and q do Makita 18v li ion and equivalent Dewalt for about 130e
    I wouldn't recommend anything else at that price,brother and myself have 6 Makitafrom 10yr to 2yr old

• Advertisement

Anyone into tools should have a look at a guy on YouTube, channel name is AvE.
    He tests tools and shows what they're made out of, how strong components are etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

If you choose to use youtube to make the decision of what power tool to buy one would be better pulling a name from a hat.

If you choose to use youtube to make the decision of what power tool to buy one would be better pulling a name from a hat.

I don't. Perhaps you might re-read my post and notice that there is nothing there to suggest that I do.

It is simply a suggestion to anyone that uses power tools or even has an interest in them to watch some fun videos and to see the differences between different designs.

I buy my tools based on what I'll realistically need them to do, how often I'll actually use them, how well they'll do their job, and on price.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

Absolutely nothing wrong with getting a few second opinions via youtube. I use it frequently to view tools that I am thinking of buying to A, See it in action, the size, etc and B, to get a second, third or forth opinion. The exact same opinions that you would get by asking here, except in technicolour!

To buy something without looking for some reviews would be foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

another vote for makita here. i bought this set for doing a sh1t load of DIY over the last few months and just can't fault them. obviously this has the impact driver which you may not need but the drill / screwdriver is sold separate.

i had a 12v black & decker previously which i still use a bit for when i'm doing a job that would otherwise require changing bits regularly and there's a huge difference between the 2.

http://www.diy.com/departments/makita-18v-li-ion-combi-drill-impact-driver-kit-2-batteries-dk18015x2/642650_BQ.prd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

My Dewalt 18V tools from 2002 are still going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

im looking at 200 quid maximum budget, had two black and decker's and they only lasted a few years each. so im looking at Bosch. Makita are very expensive and out of my budget im assuming they are for tradesmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

another vote for makita here. i bought this set for doing a sh1t load of DIY over the last few months and just can't fault them. obviously this has the impact driver which you may not need but the drill / screwdriver is sold separate.
    http://www.diy.com/departments/makita-18v-li-ion-combi-drill-impact-driver-kit-2-batteries-dk18015x2/642650_BQ.prd

sorry im not very knowledgable on drills so not sure of what you mean. im just using for around the house and building a few things in the shed woodwork etc.

something like this
    http://www.diy.com/departments/makita-cordless-18v-li-ion-combi-drill-2-batteries-hp457dwex2/278413_BQ.prd
    but in ireland. I assume B and Q Ireland do that for €130 or so.

You could spend a bit more and get the one with LXT batteries, but TBH I don't think you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Nodferatu wrote: »
    I'm looking for a cordless drill, preferably an 18v, will mainly be used for around the house, and maybe the odd few bits outside. Not sure of whats the best make or best place to buy. Help appreciated

20v cordless in Lidl goes on sale Thursday. €49.99 with a 3 year guarantee so can't be too bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

cocoman wrote: »
    20v cordless in Lidl goes on sale Thursday. €49.99 with a 3 year guarantee so can't be too bad.

Yes it can, heap of rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

There was a 3v in Aldi last week for €25 , - surely a 20v would be okay for jobs around the house - would it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Nodferatu wrote: »
    sorry im not very knowledgable on drills so not sure of what you mean. im just using for around the house and building a few things in the shed woodwork etc.

basically recommending the combi drill / screwdriver that colm_mcm also recommended in the post after mine, i had bought mine as part of a set with another power tool called an impact driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 vrrv

I have both a makita 18v and dewalt 18v and for diy and value for money the makita is a winner the dewalt has more power with a 4ah battery but was double the price! It's all in the batteries! Try screwfix.ie they have offers on drills nearly every second week!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

homebase have a black and decker 18v at the moment for 50yoyo
    tiz a big enough lump though, so I bought a stanley one for 75 because it was reduced for 150 or some such. I dont really know why I did that as its only 10v

argos have a different B&D 18v for about 90 that looks a handy size too, I think I would have gone with that ( damn hangover ) if I had to have seen it earlier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

The b&q/ woodies makiata and dewalt offers are perfect for DIY and even a spare drill for a tradesman Their mass produced for the superstore market so the motors and gears wouldn't be as good quality as the dearer site versions
    They will last years if not used day in day out like a site drill, so perfect for DIY
    They have the Li ion batteries and the newer ones are near 1.5ah so all good

I suppose it's worth remembering that the worst corded hammer drill will outperform any cordless drill within reason for drilling masonary.
    I wouldn't be a fan of overly bulky cordless drills, so for me, having a nice torquey motor, batteries that can be used till they're nearly flat and a well designed body would be more important than just the voltage of the battery. I'd very rarely be in a situation where I'd need to drill masonary and not have power, so that wouldn't be a huge factor for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Have used Ryobi, Dewalt, Hitachi,Hilti and Panasonic down the years, mostly 24V. If I was buying one I knew wouldnt walk(Hilti got robbed), Id go with the Hitachi.

All depends on what youre using them for, I also have a 18V Li-ion Dewalt(XR i think) more than adequate for DIY stuff and up to 8mm masonry occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,579 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Advertisement