Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New phone - put original Sim in it, or the replacement?

Options
  • 29-10-2015 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

Received new phone 9 days ago, but no sim card in it yet. I now have 2 sims, and the delay now is because Three can't seem to confirm which one to use. Maybe somebody here can help?
    Long story short; circumstances (not technophobia) prevented replacing my 10-year-old (unsmart) phone with a smartphone, until now. I have no experience of them, but simply used the web to get up-to-date with phone technology, & then to choose the phone (once I'd got past a saga re 2G-only settings, shooting up the Three forum's 'ranking' lately, with 1 thing & another!). The inexperience still tripped me up, though.

I failed to notice that the Sim card that came with the phone had smaller sim sizes within it that could be pushed out. Nobody, and no instructions/ packaging, had told me about this arrangement; I just held the card near the slot and it was obviously too big for it.
    So back to the three forum, re being sent a standard sim instead if a micro one, and they sent me a replacement. Hence having a phone that's never touched a sim card, & 2 sim cards that have never touched a phone. (The packaging of the replacement sim had the 1st indication I'd seen that it was multi-size, & then looking very closely at the 1st one I could just see the little ridges on it).

Should I use sim no. 1, because it has a phone number on it? Or sim 2, because maybe they disable previous ones in case of theft etc? (In which case, do I use the same phone number as on no.1?) Maybe I could use either? I 've no idea, and have been going round in circles; e.g. being advised to do my online number porting, which involves receiving a text to each phone, one of which isn't set up yet, because....

Meanwhile, the 14 days of money-back guarantee are slipping away.

So any ideas gratefully receved!

`

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Fogmatic wrote: »

Should I use sim no. 1, because it has a phone number on it? Or sim 2, because maybe they disable previous ones in case of theft etc? (In which case, do I use the same phone number as on no.1?) Maybe I could use either? I 've no idea, and have been going round in circles; e.g. being advised to do my online number porting, which involves receiving a text to each phone, one of which isn't set up yet, because....

Meanwhile, the 14 days of money-back guarantee are slipping away.

So any ideas gratefully receved!

`
    Use sim one.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Many thanks FrostyJim!
    As it happened, I've just also found a reply from Three saying the same (confirming which sim number).

Could have been my new Three forum topic that did it (saying for heaven's sake answer the other one).
    Then again, the Gods have been in an awkward mood lately, so maybe your taking the trouble did the trick!

Advertisement