Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to convince my mate apple is better

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

I am an electronic engineer slash software engineer so know what I am talking about when I say that apple software is the last software I would choose to use.

Now before you start your post about how I am wrong I can tell you that I have used all os's quite extensively up to their latest versions. I have used mac and have played around with their proprietary software none of which really stood out as much as the every day mac user would have you believe, literally every thing I could do in those programs where available to me for cheaper / free on Windows or any distro of Linux.

I use windows every day as my main player, I develop software every day and get my entertainment every day from it. Windows has bluescreened on me twice in the last... 5 years? It has only crashed on me when I made stupid mistakes in my own programs that ate all the memory or some such and I was forced to hard reset. Windows is extremely stable no matter what others would have you believe, they are just doing it wrong or are on old versions of the software.

I use linux for everything else including servers and testbeds. There is not much to say here but it does what you want it to and it's awesome. I have used various distros as my desktop system over the years too. It does most things windows does but I am mostly a .net developer which is best done on windows.

Mac is simple and for the uninitiated it works fine. I think people just want the latest shiny, I mean why else would they pay twice as much for less? Everyone to their own though but the simple fact is it is less superior than both windows and linux in any form. You can say windows is unstable, has a horrible UI/UX til the cows come home but you would only be sharing your own opinion on that, one that is not widely the same.

Simply put, you cannot show your friend that mac is superior, because it is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

'Less superior'?

So, superior, but not as superior as folks would have you believe? Yet, superior nonetheless?

Thanks. Gotcha.

:)

endacl wrote: »
    'Less superior'?

So, superior, but not as superior as folks would have you believe? Yet, superior nonetheless?

Thanks. Gotcha.

:)

Sure, it is superior to windows 3.1 ;)

Semantics :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Mac is simple and for the uninitiated it works fine. I think people just want the latest shiny, I mean why else would they pay twice as much for less? Everyone to their own though but the simple fact is it is less superior than both windows and linux in any form. You can say windows is unstable, has a horrible UI/UX til the cows come home but you would only be sharing your own opinion on that, one that is not widely the same.

Simply put, you cannot show your friend that mac is superior, because it is not.

This doesn't make sense. You just said 'the simple fact is it (os-x) is less superior than both windows and linux' And this is partially based on your experience of not having any bsods in windows. Then you say that the OP can talk about instability of windows but would be sharing his own opinion. Isn't that what you have done. Share your opinion and call it fact ?

Nobody can factually prove one is better than the other as each person has different expectations, experiences and opinions. It is my experience being a software engineer for the past 25 years, that OS-X offers a smoother Ui experience and suits me as I am invested in the Apple eco system. Its my day to day OS I use at home. It also suits me that OS-X is essentially unix and you have as much control over the OS through terminal as you do with any scripting or any api you care to use in a Windows environment. So I feel OS-X isn't just for the 'uninitiated'. Therefore it is my 'opinion' that OS-X is indeed superior to windows as it gives me a better experience and suits my needs better than Windows. But this isn't a fact just an opinion.

Flaccus wrote: »
    This doesn't make sense. You just said 'the simple fact is it (os-x) is less superior than both windows and linux' And this is partially based on your experience of not having any bsods in windows. Then you say that the OP can talk about instability of windows but would be sharing his own opinion. Isn't that what you have done. Share your opinion and call it fact ?

Nobody can factually prove one is better than the other as each person has different expectations, experiences and opinions. It is my experience being a software engineer for the past 25 years, that OS-X offers a smoother Ui experience and suits me as I am invested in the Apple eco system. Its my day to day OS I use at home. It also suits me that OS-X is essentially unix and you have as much control over the OS through terminal as you do with any scripting or any api you care to use in a Windows environment. So I feel OS-X isn't just for the 'uninitiated'. Therefore it is my 'opinion' that OS-X is indeed superior to windows as it gives me a better experience and suits my needs better than Windows. But this isn't a fact just an opinion.

It is not opinion that my windows machines have a very very very low track record of failing or crashing, that is fact. I was offering a rebuttal to the poster who said that windows was unstable when it is quite far from that.

Windows has it's own version of terminal called powershell. I use this quite extensively to create automation scripts in windows. You can control whatever you like from in here.

You're right though, it is just my opinion that both mainstream Linux and Windows are far superior to mac. But that is the popular opinion of both the regular users that I have talked to and the majority of software engineers and programmers that I have worked with.

I maintain a very popular open source program and have done a lot of research into operating systems due to it being wrote in .net and I have been trying to port either to native language or getting mono to work correctly and it's always comes down to either windows or linux being the top choice for any task I need. I simply cannot think of a single thing I would rather do on os-x.

• Advertisement
Advertisement