Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is OS X better than Windows or Linux?

• 29-10-2015 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

What do you think? No pointless comments thx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

You could try the Mac forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Pootis

Will do thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Pootis wrote: »
    What do you think? No pointless comments thx

It's a stupid question, so all you're likely to get is pointless comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

OP asks for no pointless comments in a pointless thread? Seems pointless to comment.

AmigaOS FTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

What do you think?

You first

• Advertisement

Well I am just an apple fanboy I can't really argue fairly or reasonably also sorry for my poor choice of words with pointless comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

In what context, home or office?

If it is home, what is it for? General browsing, or other stuff?

If it is work, is it a small business, or a large corporation?

If it is a small business, is it a general business, or a creative business?

If it is a large corporation, is it for general computing or bespoke software?

And so on.

Asking simplistic questions to complex situations is never going to get a clear answer.

It all depends on how you define better.

Say it's for small home video making on YouTube for instance like video editors graphics....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Short answer: No
    Long answer: Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Say it's for small home video making on YouTube for instance like video editors graphics....

Then it has nothing to do with the OS, it has everything to do with the software used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

Personal preference in most cases.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

PC for modelling/Rendering
    Mac for the donkey work after (Adobe)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Wizard!

OSX is designed for a very small amount of devices and hardware combinations. This gives it the advantage of being easily tested and configured for those devices only, thus more stable and surely more optimized. On the contrary, Windows and Linux are designed to work with thousands of different devices and hardware configurations, thus not being able to test every single one. Most of the problems somebody faces with Windows & Linux are driver related incompatibilities, not OS.

As a rule of a thumb, I am suggesting this to any friends asking:
    Windows: If you play games, is almost the only choice. You can find any software you need, lots of support from the community.
    Linux: If security and privacy is your main concern, you don't play games (ok there are few) and you do mostly office/home things, this is the choice for you.
    OSX: If you want to be legal, you have to pay a lot. You can build a Hackintosh though. As for the OS, it is optimized, fast, with lots of features, some exclusive application suits, and overall easier to use. Also, if you are into the Video/Photo editing, there is lot of community support and great applications to use.

Personally, I am using all three in various occasions, and every one has it's pros & cons depending on what you are doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

Really obvious leading questions by op to get an answer he wants - and same question he posted yesterday, just different wording, but same agenda.

Trying to convince my mate apple is better

dont bite.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

obvious troll is obvious, surprised so many fell for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

OSX is hardware locked to only a few Apple devices. For that alone, it is a much poorer OS than the other two mentioned. Linux will go on almost every piece of hardware you can find and its free. Windows run on lots of hardware too.
    I know OSX has been hacked to allow it to run on other devices, but that does not count.
    For these reasons, OSX is definetly not better that the other two OSes you mentioned.

Atari Jaguar 64bit FTW.

Ok thanks for your answers guys. Seems people think it is either personal preference, or prefer windows and Linux.

Advertisement